Port Askaig Hotel
Islay House(Bridgend)
US$276
Gigha Hotel(Isle of Gigha)
US$102
Cairnbaan Hotel(Cairnbaan)
US$98
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Argyll Inn(Lochgilphead)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$145
  • Pool
US$205
All reviewssnug baroverlooking the harbourcharming hotelconvenient locationmarionjuraferriesislandmainland
Reviewed January 4, 2018

Our room was clean and comfortable and we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed an evening in the bar chatting with the staff and customers and thought the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Marg1977
Reviewed December 9, 2017

The room was fine although I found the bed a bit soft. The food too was good. The best part was the welcome from the staff. Everyone who came into the bar/restaurant was treated like a long lost friend. It's about a minute to the ferry too.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2017 via mobile

Popped in for a beer- no draught real ale - bottled £4.40
No Guinness - “takes too much looking after”

We didn’t eat, but the prices looked eyewatering for the probable quality.

£25 for sirloin steak egg and chips
Etc

Stayed: November 2017
1  Thank Jean_Robie_Le_Chat
sammy253, Manager at Port Askaig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2017

ok - here goes - we can only have 3 kegs - we are at sea level - a cellar would be underwater. Our bar dates from the 16th century so is a listed building so no plan to knock down walls to please anyone anytime soon. We sell no guinness to speak of in low season therefore, from previous experience of waste, we no longer sell it on draft. Your extremely derogatory remark about food you have never eaten is totally out of order - we have many hundreds of customers, the majority of whom really enjoy their meals and for your information we buy from local Argyll butchers - as do most other businesses therefore our quality is as good as any - also our sea food is landed directly from the fishing boats in the harbour here so freshness and quality undoubted. We have 11 rooms which you also have never visited - and a Bistro - also not seen by you so I hope venting your spleen re beer has made you feel better. Our locals would not touch real ale with a barge pole - just for your information - it's all a matter of taste - and what sells here. Marion Spears Manager - family ownership in it's 60th year.

Reviewed October 21, 2017

We were having the most amazing holiday in both Islay and Jura until we stopped over to have something to eat. The staff in particular the lady was very very unwelcoming. She almost did not want us there. This was evidenced in her stern responses and body language towards us. On arrival, she did not bother to welcome us. When we asked about the 'Special menu', from a distance she talked to us from the distance and told us to look on the sheet. All we were looking for was a little explanation as we were keen to explore the offers for the day but it was not given. I was offered 'sparkling water' at room temperature, when I asked for some ice, her body language and communication was appalling, She then brought the ice bucket (saying, 'I may as well bring the whole bucket' and left it in front of us. When she brought the food, she just placed it in front of us and disappeared. I had asked for salmon which came with a risotto but the rice was half cooked but she was no where to be seen again. At the time she was busy ferrying food around which we appreciated so we waited. When we finally finished and wanted to leave, I asked if I could speak to the manager, again with very appalling body language, she told me she was busy so I waited and then she said there was no one I could see. All we were looking for was good hospitality which we had received in all the other hotels and restaurants. We appreciate that. Restaurants can be busy places and appreciate that things can go wrong but when you a very badly treated it can be very upsetting. We only hope t here is an improvement here and people remember it’s a small round world but I would not go back of this young lady is on duty. The place is very poorly run.

Room Tip: Good location but poorly run and poor customer care
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

I am late reading your response - so apologies for that. I obviously was not around when you visited but I can assure you that the service you received was not typical of our staff and had I witnessed such behaviour the waitress would have been taken to task. Our summer staff have all gone home - if the lady was not local - our long serving core staff I feel certain would not have acted in this way. My husband and I work long hours in the season but cannot reasonably be on the premises every hour given we are open from 7am until 1am- daily. Regrettably you did not have a good experience and for that I can only apologise. The young lady may have been stressed if busy but that is not an excuse. In slight mitigation I can say that staffing here is a nightmare as the majority of customers do not book ahead, but simply walk in with anything from 2 - 22 in groups expecting to be served "before the ferry leaves" . We do our best but with no forewarning on numbers ensuring the correct level of staffing is crystal ball stuff. The family have been in business here for almost 60 years - so we must get most of it right otherwise we would be gone many years ago. Again sorry - but please make yourself known to me if you do return and I will be happy to serve you a meal with my friendly compliments for which the hotel is well known. Slainte! Marion

Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

Ate here as we got off the ferry. The hotel would benefit from some refurbishment, and it did seem a little short staffed, but the front of house team were friendly and worked hard to be helpful. Food was fine, standard out grub, no complaints at all.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends