“Great stay in a nice home.”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Surfing beach near house
View from house
Cafe in village
Sunset at Dalbeag beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
3 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 6
Carloway, Isle of Lewis, Lewis and Harris, Outer Hebrides, The Hebrides, Scotland

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 21 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Joel P
Cilleyville, New Hampshire, United States
“Great stay in a nice home.”
Reviewed September 20, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

Catriona really makes this house feel like a home. She was easy to communicate with and gave us great directions.
My kids enjoyed the unique kitchen chairs and I really enjoyed the electric blankets.
The neighbors were nice and we enjoyed watching the sheep. The bookcase was full of interesting books and we really enjoyed the view. The appliances worked and the house was well stocked.
The house was close to such amazing scenery and it really felt good to come "home" after a day of sightseeing. Would highly recommend.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and homey feel.
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
15 Oct 2015
I'm glad you found the house homely. We try to make sure it is comfortable and not just a standard rental house. I also try to ensure that the house retains its old features but its really important to have good modern appliances or a holiday becomes hard work. The books seem to be popular with many of them about the island and its history as well as some that are a "good read"
JJ D
Chester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean”
Reviewed September 1, 2015 for a stay in August 2015

Excellent location if you want to experience the quieter area of the Island. We travelled out everyday as culture vultures and the locals were very friendly. GPS in the area is mimimum and there are a few bars and cafes that offer free wi-fi. A must see is the Callanish stones at sunset, Norman weaving Harris Tweed on his Loom and the beaches down the West coast of Harris.

Liked best: Sunsets
Liked least: No GPS or Wi-fi
Your age range 50-64
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
2 Sep 2015
I'm glad you enjoyed the area. The village is very friendly and people are keen to meet visitors and demonstrate their weaving or other skills. It is as you say a remote location with great scenery and sunsets but not good on wifi The local hotel 2 miles away has public wifi, which is very useful. Despite being on the quieter side of the island it is a vibrant community and Carloway is well populated.
Cicilie R
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Experience the wildness of Lewis combined with the comfort of a family home”
Reviewed June 19, 2015 for a stay in May 2015

This was our first time to Lewis - and we were blown away (literally sometimes!) by the scenery, the people and the history. Catriona's house was lovely - a real home from home, and fully equipped, with thoughtful additions in the kitchen cupboard. And the bookcases are full of interesting reads! I particularly loved the morning walk with the dog to the Blackhouses and on to the cliffs for more spectacular views, and to watch the sunset from same place is a must! Only thing I would suggest is that if you are travelling from Skye to Tarbert (beautiful journey!) and arrive on a Saturday be mindful of the few shops - you might want to pick up some perishables sooner rather than later.

Liked best: The nature - fabulous walking
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
15 Aug 2015
Thanks for his helpful review and the tip about essential supplies. I've now put in a list of essential supply sources in my initial info for people.
Paul C
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“Roomy House in a Great location”
Reviewed August 11, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

We had a great time on the Isle of Leiws and Isle of Harris. This cottage was in a great location (short walk to restored Blackhouse Village) and about a 45 minute drive to Stornoway for supermarket etc. There is a great coastal walk that starts at the Blackhouse Village and leads north along the cliff tops to a superb beach.

The house is very roomy. Three bedrooms that could easily sleep 6 (one double bed and two bedrooms with 2 single beds each). There were only 4 of us.

The kitchen has been remodeled recently and is well stocked.

The living room is packed with information about the Western Isles as well as lots of books to read and games for the kids. We used the OS maps quite a lot to plan our days out. There is a fire place which we used one night (burned peet).

The beds are comfortable and cozy.

The bathroom was an older design with the shower requiring you to step in the bath. It was functional and clean so no complaints.

Outside there is a roomy garden with clothes line. There are a couple of friendly sheep in the garden next door which my sons loved.

There were lots of beach stuff in the house which we used (wind break, deck chairs, buckets and spades).

The only negatives (which are small ones) is that the single track road that the house is on can be busy. The road leads (and dead ends) to the Blackhouse Village and there are often cars and buses driving (too fast) back and forth.

It was also a long drive to Harris so we may consider staying on Harris next time for part of the trip to avoid this.

No wifi.

Overall we would stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Busy road outside
Older travelers Families with young children
18 Aug 2014
Thanks for your comments and I agree that single track roads are not ideal as there are quite a number of well visited attractions in this part of the island. I intend contacting the council to put pressure on to upgrade the road. I'm glad Dalmore beach and the coastal walk made up for this and you can enjoy total peace there. I think an extra bathroom should be our next project as we have modernised the original bathroom as much as we can. I hope to see you again even although we are a scenic distance from Harris.
HopeN56
Reedley, California
“Wonderful Location and great place”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

This was a great place to stay in a good location. My husband and I were there with several friends and all of us found it to be a great place to stay, with no complaints. The owner did a wonderful job of giving us information ahead of time. The best part of it, was that there were great books on the book shelves to learn more about island history and stone circles and such. It was a cute and comfortable cottage. I would highly recommend this place and, if I ever get to the Isle of Lewis again, I would try to rent this very same cottage.

Liked best: The location
Travelling group: Large Group
15 Aug 2014
Hello
Thank you for taking the time to post this review and I'm so glad the house met your expectations. I'm always happy to help visitors especially if they come from distant places as it helps to feel more relaxed ahead of the holiday. I hope to see you or your friends at some time in the future
Sunsetsur...
Tubingen, Germany
“Wonderful cozy in the wild western Hebrides”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 for a stay in September 2013

The little cottage (which actually isn't that little :) as it has 3 lovely decorated double bedrooms (I had wonderful sleeps in the old solid wooden bed, good mattresses, clean sheets and not one worry keeping me from falling asleep ), is wonderful cozy warm and all very well functioning and equipped (kitchen, lounge, laundry ...) even if you go later in the year, when the weather can be quite stormy and wet. The bath is REALLY warm and you can have a nice soak. outside there is a piece of land you can play with your children, hang up you washing or just sitting there overlooking the hills towards the ocean and have a real good read.
It's not a house it's a HOME and I felt so from the very first moment and could enjoy my holiday for the moment I arrived. Only thing for travellers from Germany: to lock the door with the key you have to pull the handle upwards :) no worries whatsoever. I had a fantastic holiday there in the peaceful wilderness of the Hebrides. The house is loved and you feel it. The host is the best ever, kind, flexible, helpful... You name it!

The neighbourhood is very friendly, the people kind and the bus stop just 3 minutes walk away. I really wanted a chill out away from everything, and had wonderful walks down to the beach (4 min) and on a lovely trail over the cliffs (1-2h one way) to a sandy beach you could actually surf. Stornoway is easily reachable with the bus and lots of other things to visit and to explore. Last not least the black house museum of Garenin down the road at the bus stop, where there is a lovely little pebbly beach with clean water and cliffs to have a view till down to the southern Hebrides. From there the sunsets are stunning as the kiss the ocean :) go and have a holiday there you won't regret it! The property is just a pebblestone launch away.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I liked the feel of it and that after a long day out on the cliffs it felt really like
Liked least: Well, in Germany we don't have door handles that move upwards :) and so it took me some minutes to figure out how to lock the door :)
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
7 Jul 2014
Thank you so much for your very full review. I'm glad you enjoyed the house and found it homely.We try to make sure everything is comfortable and everyone visiting can have a restful and enjoyable time. We are regularly making improvements as the house is important to us. I hope we can welcome you and other visitors from Germany in the future.
Elkie87
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

We were here for 3 nights in May and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The house was very clean and had everything we could need...and more!
There has obviously been a lot of thought put into making the house as comfortable as possible.
We would definitely come back!

Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
6 Jun 2014
Thank you so much for your review and so glad you enjoyed the break.Hope to see you again in Lewis. I am continually buying new equipment and re-decorating the house to make it as comfortable as possible for our guests.
Catriona
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing