All reviews cafe bar no lift overlooking the harbour one way system the rear car park heating system monkfish lovely hotel hotel restaurant outer hebrides first floor steak pie lovely view great room comfortable bed would stay again two nights
Reviewed December 2, 2016

Having had many visits to this hotel over a number of years (I have had many via buisness, which turned into a pleasure).Hence my review is worthy! I have watched this prime located,well managed hotel grow too what it is today with friendly, helpful,efficient, dedicated, welcoming staff on the basis of clean, well kept,heated(important in Scotland in winter season) and excellent menu to suit all tastes served in the two restaurants by a professional chef and efficient, courteous staff.
Rooms are comfortable and well equipped.
i.e. T.v. kettle etc and elemis luxury hair, shower and hair products, trouser press, hair dryer etc must say if you are honeymooning ask for the front facing room with double windows and real fire also a view that is stunning over the harbour and Lewis Castle.
Their are two restaurants HS1 and the Boat Shed(recently refurbished and looks very contemporary with hint of romance, elegance and presence but still keeping a warm touch!) Again can not fault...great service, well prepared,fresh food cooked too perfection and priced reasonably! Staff courteous and welcoming, friendly with efficiency which is hard to find in our modern day enviorenment.
Breakfast menu is excellent, suits all tastes! Once again, ran with efficiency and style the staff are most welcoming,adaptable and courteous.The view in the morning over to the Castle is beautiful and a pleasure! ( choose a window seat if possible)

All I can say really is! Just do it! You won't be disappointed by hotel, location, management,staff or service.. Also Lewis and Harrris are both beautiful in surroundings, nature and people! You will want too return!

Room Tip: Front facing
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank 592haze
Reviewed November 2, 2016

I stayed here one night on business. The staff were very friendly and I had a room with A view. The room was small and I had X portable heater blocking the wordrobe, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very small and the toilet did not flush very well.i also got trapped in the shower for 5 minutes as I couldnot get the door open.
I also found the hotel very noisy as people were up and about around 5am.
The breakfast was very good and they did cater for glutton free.
The view was speculated and worth putting up with the rest for.

Room Tip: Room 30 had a great view
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2016

As a native of the island I know the hotel's café bar, HS1, very well and can wholeheartedly recommend it for friendly service and very tasty food. As for the hotel accommodation I have somewhat mixed feelings. Our welcome was warm, with the delicious breakfast served by genuinely warm and smiley staff, big thumbs up there!
Of the rooms: on a + positive note, both double rooms had wonderfully comfortable beds, and my mum's room had a beautiful view of the harbour and castle grounds. We were also given generous quantities of tea, coffee and biscuits, and also of nice Elemis bathroom toiletries. Now the - minuses: the doors were extremely heavy (especially room 27, which my elderly mum really struggled to open), my room (26, at the back) was extremely noisy due to it being directly beside/above the aircon/kitchen vents. This would not be such an issue if they invested in decent windows, with my bathroom one being very draughty - hence a very chilly bathroom, not helped at all y a general lack of hot water. On one morning out of three I had perfectly hot water (on the highest setting) but on the other two it was just lukewarm and not at all a pleasure, while on my first night I could not shower at all as the water was just too cool to bear, especially in an unheated, draughty bathroom. I did eventually stand on a chair to switch on the high-up bathroom Dimplex heater which did take the chill off the air a wee bit - however, it was then I really started to notice how unloved and dirty the rooms were. My mum had already commented on her very stained chair and extremely dusty woodwork but I had downplayed that, until I took a proper look around. The rooms are in real need of a deep clean, maintenance (fresh grouting etc) and then proper daily attention; there were thick layers of dust everywhere, and I was not impressed by the fluff and dust etc which I discovered when I pulled out my bedside cabinet to retrieve a dropped tissue!
I REALLY wanted to love this hotel and feel quite disappointed on their standards of cleanliness and maintenance, I am sure they could and should do much better! On a positive last note though, they will give you a very warm welcome, good food and a comfy night's sleep!

Room Tip: Room 27 has lovely view. Avoid room 26 as view of carpark and noisy (over kitchens)
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2016

Stayed here for one Saturday night on our Island hopping trip as we were getting the ferry back to the mainland the next day. When we checked in the staff asked us if we were eating with them that night as we would need to book there and then as it gets very busy at the weekend. We decided we would as the restaurant / bar area's looked nice and welcoming. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Room was nice and spacious...old character in keeping with the building. However, the bathroom was a bit of a let down.. looks as though it's not been touched since the 70's and the shower was one of those that just spits on you. The restaurant food was good however the service was a bit hit and miss. There were plenty of waiting staff but it seemed like they were not very experienced. We knew food would be a bit of a wait as it was busy so we ordered our drinks but the drinks waiter came back with only my partners beer. My wine didn't materialize at all even though the bar staff were chatting away to each other behind the bar. The lovely Italian waitress who was running around taking the food orders noticed us trying to get attention and saw straight away that my drink hadn't been brought so she went to the bar and got the drinks herself. I think she could have taught the others a lesson or two on service !
Breakfast was good the next morning so overall I would say that the hotel is good value for money. Just one point that is nothing to do with the hotel. If you are staying Saturday night, the first ferry doesn't leave until 2.30 the next day...try for late check out as absolutely everything is closed on a Sunday. There is not even a coffee shop so it will be a long wait for a cuppa once you check out.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a nice view olf the Castle and harbour
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2016 via mobile

The Royal Hotel Stornaway looks out over a picturesque marina and has a clear view of Lews Castle. Situated in Stornaway's town centre, we were close to amenities and local attractions. The hotel and restaurant staff were engaging and always pleased to be of assistance. The rooms were delightful and beds comfortable, a perfect place to rest after an active day. We enjoyed our stay and highly recommend the Royal Hotel Stornaway.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family