“Didn't live up to expectations. ”

Red Skye Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Broadford
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the Old Schoolhouse building in Breakish only 6 miles over the bridge in the beautiful Isle of Skye, Red Skye Restaurant aims to provide a wonderfully relaxed yet creative dining experience. Open 7 days all year round with excellent parking, we hope you can join us soon for a great night out...
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

I visited with my wife in October and we were disappointed with the food we were served, after booking on recommendation. I had the slow braised feather blade of beef which was luke-warm - it was served a bit strange, looked a bit like the inside of a steak pie - nothing against this if it tasted of something which it didn't - very bland. The accompanying veg and mash was quite nice although very sweet. Not worth £20, I'd value it at around £9-12.

My wife had the 'sweet potato and mushroom open lasagne' which looked and tasted nothing like a lasagne. It wasn't until we left the restaurant and re-checked the menu and realised that half the stuff it's advertised with wasn't on the plate! Balsamic rocket, walnut crumb, fresh Parmesan - none of this was there! Also I would half expect any kind of 'lasagne' to have, well, you know, pasta? Garlic? Herbs? Some kind of taste? Nope, all my wife could taste was an overpowering cream which ruined the dish which was expensive at £16, I'd value it at half that price.

After the substandard mains we chose not to have dessert.

Having read the rude management response to another review (funnily enough of the open lasagne - hindsight is wonderful!) I would like to make a couple of points. Firstly if the meals were half the cost then I'd maybe increase the rating from 2 to 3. We have eaten all over the world and our only expectations are good food and good service which we don't mind paying for. Although the Red Skye is a gorgeous little restaurant and the service we received was very good, the meal was let down by the poor quality of food, it's as if the place is trying too hard and missing the basics regarding the meals. We will not be returning unless future reviews suggest that the quality of food has had a major overhaul.

3  Thank Chris11111111

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I went out of season in October, with my girlfriend, and had a superb dinner.
Try the salmon and haddock fishcake if it is on the menu....sublime,
A very friendly waiter and top marks to the chef, very my appreciated.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited this place twice, because it was such good food! The dishes we were one of the best ones we had in Scotland. Good meat, fish and a very good vegeterian dish! The first night we had a lovely talk with the waitress as well. The second night we didn't as it was busier.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Ordered a homemade venison burger and other person ordered an open vegetable lasagne. I have tasted a better venison burger bought in Tesco and cooked on the bbq at home. The meat was overcooked and the bun was hard and served on a wooden platter that was small and the burger started falling apart when cutting as the mayonnaise leaked out the sides. It was difficult to eat either with a knife and fork or by hand. I could hardly cut into it and later when I asked for an extra napkin as I was getting in a mess, they gave me a steak knife. The chips had skins on and had no flavour and I only ate one and that was enough.
The other person said the lasagne was okay but the squash was underdone in parts and certainly for the amount of vegetables and sauce it was certainly not value for money.
When I asked for the bill and she could see the meal was mainly uneaten she asked what was wrong, I told her and she did not say anything, I assumed she was going to say something to the chef ort to me, but the next thing another waitress came over and thumped down the bill on the table and walked off saying there is your bill. I did not get an apology or even a complimentary soft drink charge removed as a way of apologising for substandard food, especially at such overinflated prices. The bill came to £34.85 for 2 x lemonades and 1 coke and both main meals. I would have had no problem with this price had the food been of a good standard and flavour. One other thing, the wind had blown a napkin off another table onto the floor when people came in and the waitress just picked it up and put it back on the table. This could cause e-coli or salmonella as Skye is farmland and people coming in and out the restaurant may have shoes with mud and other farm products on the soles of their feet. If she is so unhygienic with this I do hope she washes her hands etc.
Also, the specials board was not easy to read and I was unaware of it at the time of ordering and was not even directed to it, and the room was very hot and stuffy and very noisy and not a place to relax. I normally prefer putting on positive comments but in this case I feel that future diners need to be aware of the poor service (took 45 mins from ordering to get the food) and poor quality of food for the price.

intruder1931, Head Chef at Red Skye Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

hi KazW25.

Thanks for your completely false and inaccurate review. It is customers like you that I get out of my bed every day for and graft for 12 hours! I suggest you got to Tesco all the time for your burger patties that you seem so fond of! Looking at your previous reviews you have left other establishments it is probably best you don't eat out -you seem awfully hard to please and you very much contradict what you say in your review about how you like to only leave positive reviews. Again, clearly inaccurate as a 2 star seems to be the best you are willing to give to any food establishment! We very much look forward to you not returning!

Regards, Chef
PS. I trust you managed to get home safely after being on Skye with all that salmonella and e-coli that is so very rife up here!!!

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely food and wine - thank you for looking after a group of 12 so well.
Great end to a fantastic couple of days walking on this beautiful island.