“The Best Place to eat in Portpatrick”
Review of The Port Pantry

The Port Pantry
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Portpatrick
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Port Pantry. After an 8-week closure and total refurb we opened on the 1st March 2016. Our team is Amelia, Matt, Keith, Maggie, Tina, Jordan, pizza boys Kenny and Alan and we would like to welcome Big Alan our new head chef on board. Alan and Keith will be revising our menu and as well as the old favourites will be incorporating new dishes with weekly changes to our specials board. We now have a deli in the café, offering various cheeses, olives, Stornoway black pudding to name a few, we are now also opening Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings 6.30 pm till 10.30 pm (Last food orders 9.30 pm) with a delicious menu which will change weekly depending on availability of local produce. Our restaurant is fully licensed and we can offer quality wines, prosecco, real ales and lagers. Our pizza service is now up and running and not only can you be served with pizzas in the restaurant, these are now available for take-away from our upstairs counter 5.30 pm till 10.30 pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday. (Delivery available in Portpatrick area). Enjoy your stay in Portpatrick and we hope you've enjoyed your visit to the Port Pantry. Thanks and haste ye back. From All The Team
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Have got to recommend this wonderful cafe and bistro. Last year they started opening in the evenings at the weekend from 6-8pm serving wonderful homemade food and puddings which will make you want to stay there all night! It's tucked away above a gift shop but don't miss it as it's definitely an eating highlight when visiting Portpatrick. There's a good selection of foods to suit a variety of tastes, we loved the mixed meze starter and the grilled halloumi followed by a tasty beef curry and chicken enchiladas. In particular my partner and I are addicted to the enormous meringues, served with cream and fresh fruit - so big in fact that we share one! It's a Bring Your Own bottle too which means with the very reasonable prices, it's a smashing night out which won't break the bank. Run by a friendly family who offer the best of service it's a wee hidden gem in this area.

1  Thank rosebud23573

Reviewed 7 September 2010

My wife and I visited the bistro in the evening. Great food, attentive service and excellent value. Will return when next in the area

Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was my 2nd nite time visit to this hidden away jewel. This family run business which operates as a top class tea room during the day and a bistro at night. The emphasis is on very good quality, home made food. The menu has a mixture of veggie and meat eaters treats which make ordering very difficult, please leave room for your dessert.
My Cumberland sausage with onion gravy and mustard mash was delicious, followed my Karen's baked berry cheesecake (orgasmic)
I cannot fault either of my visits and I am SO looking forward to working my way down the menu board.
Remember to bring your own bottle....

Reviewed 2 August 2010

The Port Pantry has recently opened it's doors in the evenings. You can book a table between 6 and 8pm.

When I booked the table (for three adults and a three year old) the owner fully explained that the premises are used as a cafe during the day and it is a bistro at night. She also ran through the entire menu which was nice as it meant that I was not booking for food that I dislike. On the other hand the menu is quite varied and I think there will be something for everyone. This is quite an achievement as there are approximately only six or seven choices for each course. She also added that it was a BYOB as she currently doesn't have a drinks licence which, I think, is an added bonus.

We were greeted by a very friendly owner who seems to take on the role of "Front of House" and waitress while her husband and daughter are masters of the kitchen.

The entire experience was so enjoyable and I commented at one point that it was like going to a friends for dinner. We didn't have starters because we decided to have a desert. If I did have a starter I would have had the mini mezze. I had the veg nachos as a main course. There was a beef option but I don't like beef. I was initially concerned that there wouldn't be enough. Ha! I couldn't finish it. So simple but utterly delicious. The owner said it was one of their family favourites that they first experienced when they lived in Australia. My husband and mum had the beef curry. They said that the beef melted in their mouths. The curry came with popadoms, naan and mango chutney. My three year old had chicken goujons and curly fries. No processed nonsense. Fresh, delicious breaded chicken fillet.

All in all, a treat and a lovely surprise. A lot of effort and hard work has gone into this place. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

I've eaten at the Port Pantry twice now, and on both occasions I've been very impressed with the selection of fresh food and produce on offer.

The first time I popped in was August of last year, with a friend of mine, and we enjoyed a light lunch in the little restaurant/ coffee shop, which is perched at the top of a flight of stairs, accessed through a gift shop. It was well worth the investigation.

The menu is good value, fresh and interesting, with a wide range of imaginative flavour combinations, in the form of sandwiches, paninis, flat breads and jacket potatos. Some delightful-looking cakes and pastries tempt you from the display cabinet, but I managed to resist these the first time around.

On my second visit, I opted for the takeaway option, and enjoyed a jacket potato with moist tender chicken in a tasty coronation sauce... plus a chunk of millionnaire shortbread for afterwards!

This place is exactly the kind of thing Portpatrick needs, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, tasty bite in the area.

1  Thank justicegf