New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
Dallas
“Extremely Disappointing Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I reserved my wedding room block at this property in May and it was chaotic, unorganized and extremely disappointing to say the least. The customer service and attention to detail from the sales manager, Tameka Foley, was far worse than anything I have ever experienced in my life. As a bride, you would prefer not to be treated as an after thought, however, at this hotel do not expect to feel like a valued guest. On a few occasions, I was promised things that I did not receive and was not given any response other than unacceptable excuses. This property's management as a whole (this includes the General Manager) was not proactive at all when I was in need of assistance or compensation. It was very unfortunate that this was where I had (some of) my guests stay. Word to the wise: there are too many hotels in downtown Memphis to waste your time dealing with a property and staff like this.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CrowneDOS, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you for your review of the wedding block that you booked at the Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown. I am sorry that you feel this way about your experience with our Management Team. Our Sales Manager followed up with you after your group stayed here and you were happy with everyone’s stay and your experience. Our Management Team has communicated promptly and professionally throughout your group booking. We welcome the opportunity to discuss this further should have questions or concerns. Hotel direct: 901-525-1800.

Kind Regards,

Director of Sales
Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We booked this hotel for an amazing price on a name your own price website. The photos make this hotel look much nicer than it is. The neighborhood was a bit intimidating... But the service was very good! The rooms were nice and clean. Plus they had Bath & Bodyworks toiletries, which I love. It says this hotel is a 3 and a half stars.. I would say 3 at the most. Parking per night was $15! Valet was $18? FREE WIFI

• Stayed May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Midvale, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We had an absolutely dynamite stay at this hotel. The staff including the 2 shuttle van drivers were great; everybody was friendly and accomodating. Other than a problem with our A/C the first night (we were moved to another room and given a free breakfast) everything went great. The meals in the restaurant were a little pricey as were the drinks, but otherwise not too bad.

Room Tip: Should you make reservations on line, I'd suggest you follow up with a direct call to THIS Crown...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Customs_MP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week just before the Brake Street Festival. We were tentative as it didn't have great reviews. We emailed ahead to ask for a quiet room, we were given a room on the 7th floor, room was clean, decor was a little tired but the beds were very comfortable .It was a great base for our weeks holiday .Staff very friendly and did as much for us as they could. In all a very good hotel if a little tired in the decor.

• Stayed April 2012
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

i just got walked in to this place thinking that this will only be for one night so go in and sleep get up and go but when i got into the room the room looked clean from far but as i turned on lights i seen that there were a little things that just made me think twice about staying there because i seen a very light make up stains on their supposedly white blanket and looked liked it wasn't even changed or something then there were hair in corner of bathroom. The people that worked in this hotel were nice but the rooms were not well cleaned to me and i even woke up with a big red spot on my body that ended up being a bite of some kind of a bug i believe.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Dear mrskerns,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Travellers are raving about these Memphis hotels

Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

First off, I don't get why people complain about parking. $15 a day in a secured parking lot in Downtown Memphis TN is fantastic. There were also complaints about noise. We live in the rural world and slept so nice here. There were also complaints about the age of the building. It was beautiful and the only age issue was having to hold down the handle when you flushed. Not bad at all considering is is a downtown hotel which usually means an older hotel. The trolley was right there, they have a shuttle, it is very clean and the workers are super nice. I wish the pool stayed open later because after being outside in the 90's in massive crowds, that would have been perfect. I booked through hotels.com but when I checked in, I asked for a fridge in my room and they moved us to a room with a fridge. When self parking was full, they let us park in the valet parking. A porter was always there asking if you need assistance and security was present. My husband and I plan another stay for next years BSMF. Thank you Crowne Plaza. Our stay was better than the other downtown hotels we stayed at that were way closer to the festival. You will be seeing us again.

Room Tip: if you are worried about noise, just request to be on the other side of the freeway.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen W
Traverse City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel May 1st - May 5th, 2012, for a business trip. The staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we walked into the lobby. Rooms were clean and fresh. The River City Cafe restaurant downstairs was awesome, too. Excellent, friendly service, and great food. Really good breakfast buffet and great catfish dinner. I really cannot say enough about my experience. I had wanted to stay at the Marriott across the street but they were full. I had read some bad review on the Crowne Plaza, but since it was close, I booked it. Boy am I glad I did! The Marriott is a very classy hotel, but I am positive no other hotel in town could have made my experience any better. Thank you staff of Crowne Plaza and River City Cafe!!!!!

Linda S.

Room Tip: I had a room with a king size bed - sheets were clean and fresh and pillows were soft. I didn't...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business