“Good downtown atmosphere with good food and good GF options but watch your ordering!”

Catherine and Mary's
Reserve with OpenTable
Catherine and Mary's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 1,627 Restaurants in Memphis
Reviewed October 2, 2018

I had read reviews of Catherine and Mary's prior to our visit last weekend. Most everyone liked the food but too many comments about the staff hyping up a 4 course meal. The menu reflects that as well as the waitstaff encouraging it. Snacks, Plates, Pasta and Entrees. I couldn't find an entree that worked for me( didn't want a steak) so I said I would choose a pasta dish as an entree. Well, wrong choice of words! I was charged double for an "entree sized" portion, which IMO was not worth $32 for a bowl of Tagliatelle pasta. The Brussels plate was a decent portion and was delicious. The "snacks", or appetizers were eaten well by the group, but nothing I could eat. The Caprese plate was probably the best Caprese salad I have eaten! The trio of gelato for dessert was generous and very good. They did take care with the gluten free aspect, but I feel I should have been told the pasta I ordered was coming as a double in price. All in all, a good evening out but I will be careful when I order there again. It won't keep me from returning, I'm just a little bit wiser.
The ratings tab on this site is not operating, so I will add 4* for service, 5* for food and 3* for value.

Reviewed September 18, 2018 via mobile

Four of us, on holiday from Scotland, called in here spontaneously, having got a bit lost in downtown Memphis.

We shared a couple of starters, both excellent, and decided on pasta dishes, which arrived quickly, and were very good indeed. Our server, Hannah, was attentive and friendly, checking regularly without being at all intrusive.

Star of the evening was Chris, who arranged an Uber for us when the trolley seemed never to arrive. He’d actually paid for it himself, and had to be persuaded to take a tip of $7 to cover the cost! He spent ages telling us about Memphis and giving us great advice on what to see and what not to miss.

Such a friendly city, this was another great experience for us Scots.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

My husband and I recently visited Catherine and Mary's for our anniversary dinner and were very pleased. The atmosphere is somewhat formal enough to live up to the menu but still casual and trendy enough that it didn't feel pretentious. The meals are meant to be served in three or four courses. The menu is very creative, unique and inspiring. I loved all the choices and had a hard time deciding. The dishes are artfully prepared and the food was rich and satisfying. Each course is generous and creative. The wine list is extensive by the glass and by the bottle. The wine I chose was no longer available but I was directed to another bottle similar and I was happy with the choice. Our service was impeccable. Our waitress, Toi was very attentive without being obtrusive. I was most impressed with her knowledge of the menu and how the food is prepared and served. I think that is something that really stands out about this restaurant. My only complaint is how the seating arrangements were done. We dined early in the evening while the sun was bright. We were seated directly in the sunlight with the blaring sun shining in my husband's face most of the meal. As more people came in they continued to seat people on that same side of the restaurant. We were uncomfortable as were most of the people sitting near us. One party asked to move and they were accommodated. However, I didn't understand why the other side of the restaurant where the sun was not a factor during that time of day remained empty. However, this did not ruin our experience. I guess the great food and service made up for it.

Reviewed August 24, 2018

This is in the South Main Arts District, a trendy spot these days. It's on the 1st floor of the Old Chisca Hotel and has been left with the rough concrete walls and high open ceilings with exposed ductwork. The front and side of the main dining room is all floor to ceiling windows. You can also see most of the action in the kitchen depending on where you sit. There's also lovely, large artwork on the walls.
Now for the food review: Everything we ordered was delicious and a bit different. The flavors that were blended was not your run-of-the-mill home cooked meal, but the creation of some talented chefs. I had only one complaint. The server explained that dining at C & M was an "experience." In order to fully enjoy our evening we were supposed to order snacks (what they call appetizers), small plates, a pasta, and an entree. We were told the reason for the 3 courses before the main meal was because our food would be cooked after we ordered it, and it would take a while. There was no way any of us could have eaten that much food, plus it would have made an already expensive meal the price of a small car. I could only imagine what it costs if you order a bottle of wine or cocktails. We did get an order of mozzarella with a tomato topping and ciabatta bread. 2 of us ordered pasta and 2 ordered fish dishes. This was plenty of food, and guess what, the entrees came out in a reasonable amount of time! We had a lovely evening and the food and atmosphere were elegant, truly a fine dining experience. But don't try to increase our bill by having us order way more food than we could possibly eat.

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

I really hate to say it , but the bunch I had here was hands down ,the worst brunch I have ever had. The biscuits that we got as an appetizer with the jelly samples were burnt,completely black on the bottom,we had to scrape the bottom of the biscuits off for them to even be edible. our waiter never once offered to get us another order assuming this is how they are supposed to be served. The serve was terrible. The main coarse was nothing to complain about, however it also wasn’t anything to complement. Edible at best. The drinks we had at the bar prior to being seated were good.

1  Thank MrsRRP