“best money we spent”

Taste of Downtown Memphis Food Tour
Ranked #1 of 9 Food & Drink in Memphis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join us for a Memphis BBQ Tastin' Tour or a Downtown Memphis Food Tour. Our Chef-guided food tours sample a variety of the great food offered in Memphis. It's a slice of the best food in town served with a heapin' side of Memphis history. Each Food tour includes appetizer size portions at various family-owned and award-winning local restaurants. Our Tastin' 'Round Town tour guides provide stories of Memphis heritage, history, architecture and entertainment- or should we say...."Eatertainment!"
Sublette, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“best money we spent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I took this tour and it was the best money we spent in Memphis. The fee sounds expensive but for what we ate it was a great bargain. We had BBQ and more BBQ. We did not even eat dinner that night after the tour. They take you to 6 restaurants and let you taste the best BBQ that place offers. The BBQ tour is for everyone no matter the mobility issues. They drive you almost everywhere. Thanks for the great experience.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Angelia G

Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highly recommended food and culture introduction to Memphis and the South”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

I'm just back from a most "satisfying" experience on this tour - with a (very) full tummy and a much better understanding of the history of Memphis and its food-culture.

Carol & Lance are excellent hosts with a very obvious love of the city and its distinctive BBQ restaurants. Carol is easy to find, in her chef''s jacket and waving a large whisk - and I was whisked off on a journey of countless BBQ restaurants (as in, I literally lost count of the number of places we visited).

On the way between restaurants, Carol & Lance talk about the historical influences on Memphis, they describe the areas we're driving thru and even explain nuances of general American life (useful to an Aussie, for whom some things don't exactly translate .. Like: What's Texan toast ?). They also gave me plenty of tips on things I can do in Memphis, based on my interests ... so, I'd recommend doing this tour early in your visit to Memphis. It's also a great way to see some mid-town neighbourhoods - which expands your appreciation of what makes-up the real Memphis, outside the tourist's view of down-town.

Tastings are actually plates ordered from each restaurant's menu - I was wise to have skipped lunch ! We had Pork Ribs cooked in many different styles (my favourites being from Cozy Corner and Central BBQ) - - Pulled pork - - Beef-Brisket sandwich - - even spaghetti with BBQ sauce - - and mentioning sauces reminds me, there were lots of good ones to try - tho, in my opinion, none of the ribs were bettered by them (they were so good on their own).

I nice take-away at the end is a little bag full of the Take-Out menus from many of the places we visited, plus a little sweet-thing to finish off with.

In summary, I can thoroughly recommend this tour - - it's finger licking good !!

Reviewed by John the Aussie food-tourist (on a long weekend in Memphis, between business appointments in the US of A).

Note: In case you were wondering, Australian/English spelling applies in all above.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank CaCToTian
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Memphis Culture through Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

I had the opportunity of tagging along on the Memphis tour and the BBQ tour as a photographer and the experience gave me a new sense of Memphis as a recent resident. The guides acted more like gracious hosts and relayed information about Memphis as if they were my family members showing off their new home.

During the BBQ tour we saw all sides of Memphis, from a family run BBQ joint off the beaten path to the downtown hotspots of BBQ to the famed best in Memphis BBQ Nachos (which I must say won me, the former vegetarian, over).

Tastin' 'Round Town is perfect for the culinary student, the food curious, or anyone hoping to learn about Memphis in a new way. The time wasn't only spent chowing down, but also learning about why certain areas of Memphis are important, cultural and landmark history, and what felt like an afternoon with family and close friends I had known for years. Well worth the money.

Other tips:
The tour is an afternoon, so dedicate the afternoon to it.
Try everything. It's just a taste (though some tastes are more like 1/4 a meal), so it won't kill you.
Tell them ahead of time for dietary restrictions.
Moderate amount of walking is done - less on the BBQ tour since most are far away and the group is moved from place to place in a van. The Taste of Memphis is mostly walking within the downtown area, but not so much that it would be limiting to those who have trouble walking.

Visited May 2011
5 Thank fostercollection
Memphis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Taste of Downtown Memphis Tour - Fun, Interesting, and Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Decided to take this tour on a weekend visit to Memphis. It exceeded my expectations! This would be great for a couple's weekend getaway, if you are staying downtown and want to explore, or if you are foodie and want to find out about the city's food culture from a local expert.

We met in the early afternoon to do the Taste of Downtown Memphis Tour (I think there is also a Memphis BBQ tour) and was met by our guide, a former chef from Louisiana and current instructor at one of the local universities. She took us to six different restaurants in the Beale St. and Main St. area, where we got to sample a variety of southern -- especially Memphian dishes.

Among the foods we sampled were shrimp with grits and greens (outstanding), BBQ nachos, regional tamales, burgers and fries from Dyers (ask a Memphian about the secret to those burgers, or the guide will tell you), macaroni with truffle oil, some surprises from the kitchen staff, and I haven't even gotten to the dessert...I think they mix it up. I think you can tell them in advance if you have food allergies or that sort of thing.

What I liked best was our guide was so passionate and really knew about the food culture of Memphis. You could tell she really loved Memphis and talking about it with people. I couldn't really say there was anything I didn't like, but I would recommend that you NOT EAT if you don't have to before this tour! I would put this experience right up there with the Memphis Back Beat Tour, where you learn about Memphis through miusic -- I loved that also. You can learn so much about a local culture through its food, and this was a great way to learn about Memphis's history.

Visited August 2011