“Great location and wonderful staff in an Historic Hotel”

Residence Inn Memphis Downtown
Ranked #13 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The staff, hands down, makes this a wonderful place to stay-very friendly with Southern charm, not at all stuffy; informative and accommodating. The rooms are spacious, as expected in this type of hotel. The free breakfast goes a notch above the usual continental fare. The location is great-adjacent to all 3 trolly lines, 2 blocks from Peabody and a couple more to Beale St. No restaurant on site but 2 very nice ones are steps (literally) from the hotel as well as a bunch of more casual spots just within the block and many more close by.

Now for our stay.
We were there for a week for Memphis in May BBQ Fest and we were doing some cooking of sides and desserts for our team. My husband, myself, my Mother and her friend.

The room.
We had a 2 bed/2 bath suite with a FULL kitchen, meaning full size appliances. Bedroom 1 had a queen bed with an en suite bath with a tub/shower combo. Both were of decent size. Bedroom 2 had a queen bed with the 2nd bath (good size with a nice large tiled shower) being right out the door in the hall of the suite. The Kitchen, while not large, had a good layout and decent counter space (think a galley kitchen with one side open) with the basic implements for cooking and eating. The dining and living areas were a good size. The living room has a full couch (fold out), 2 chairs and coffee table with a desk area separating it from the dining area. With all the seating surfaces utilized we could and did have a dozen people in this area comfortably.

Other stuff
The housekeeping staff is outstanding! Due to 4 of us staying in the suite it seemed like one of us was there all the time yet they cleaned our room without any of us walking in. They really do a nice job!

Please make sure you visit the roof! Nice sitting areas and a hot tub. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday the hotel puts out an evening meal. The 1st two are in the breakfast area while Wednesday is a rooftop BBQ. Unfortunately I was not able to take part in these since I was there for BBQ Fest and was helping my team set up :)

The Front Desk
Hugh is a rascal! Very funny and when he tells you his name is Jessie....wait til you meet Jessie, great knowledge of Memphis and so kind. If you are very lucky Mac will be your Bellman, he so went out of his way to take care of us.

As you can tell I really like this property. Is it for you? if it's a weekend and you want some luxe amenities maybe not, but for any longer stays I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

One tip for anyone going to Memphis-use your manners! Please, thank you, you're welcome, etc. go a long way. If you don't you'll get ok service wherever you go there but you won't get the heart or the wonderful tips they "can" share. :)

Room Tip: There are 12 2 bedroom suites. They all face a trolly line, you will hear the bells but it is quite...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hipquest
downtowntravel38103, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

It is wondeful to hear some great feedback and truly appreciate your comments. Than You for taking the time to review the Residence Inn by Marriott Memphis Downtown. We look forward to seeing you next Memphis in May for the World Championship BBQ Cook-Off! ( I hope your team placed!!)

Many Thanks!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend. The location is great as it is just a few blocks from Beale Street. When we first walked in we were impressed by the lobby as well as the friendly staff. Unfortunately our feelings changed once we saw the room. The carpets were heavily stained and the furniture was old and worn. The climate controls in our two bedroom suite did not work properly. One bedroom was hot and the other was cold. We also found one of the bathrooms to not be very clean (grimy shower floor and hair on a towel). The fitness room was also cramped and extremely warm. The treadmills were old and outdated. Considering what we paid per night, we felt the amenities were not in line.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

I am glad you liked our downtown location but I apologize your stay was not up to your expectations. Had we had know of the problem with your suite, we would have moved you immedialty. Please give us another chance so we can prove to you we are an excpetional property!

We offer complimentary passes to a full service gym!

Best Regards

Reviewed 19 May 2012

From the front desk, to the valet, Everyone at this hotel has been friendly and accomodating. The hotel itself is located right off of Main street, on which the trolley runs throughout the day. It is only a few blocks from Beale street, and there are restaurants along the way. It is also within walking distance to the riverfront. The hotel room had a great little kitchen, with a dishwasher, stove, and actually came stocked with plates, glasses, AND silverware!! Upside to having the room right by the elevator: bright and sunny room. Downside: Elevator noise but it was MINIMAL. Our comforter was dirty, and upon asking for a replacement, the employee checked with us when we saw him next to make sure the issue had been resolved. The breakfast buffet was great, and there is a mini "store" that you can purchase random things at. There is also a market right down the street that has a variety of items that you can buy to stock the kitchen with.
The rooftop patio has an amazing view, and there are grills available, as well as a hot tub! We also discovered that there was a laundry room right off the rooftop. Nice find! This has been a pleasant hotel experience, and I would definitely recommend it. If I come back to Memphis, I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator; corner room is sunny and bright
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank missg920

Thank You so much for your kind comments on your recent stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott. We are very proud of our staff and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay and plan on coming again. Best Regards

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I would rate this hotel as excellent except for one thing. I was travelling on state government business, and had a govenment check to pay for the stay. My office had even called beforehand to give them information and get the hotel listed as a vendor. However, when I arrived the front desk refused to accept the check, saying in needed to be sent in several weeks before. The front desk personnel were polite, and recited that this was their policy. He said he would speak to the manager. he walked away, and in a few minutes came back with another employee, who instead walked out the front door.

He said he had just spoken to the manager and reiterrated that they would not accept the check. I said I wanted to speak to the manager. He said that she had just left for the day. Obviously, the person I saw walk out was the manager. This was terrible cutomer service. I would expect the manager to come over and speak to me about the issue. What type of manager leaves for the day when they know they have a customer service problem at the front desk?

That being said, the hotel has a good location, and my room was clean and well equipped. The rooftop patio was a great place to have a drink and watch the sunset.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The hotel is interesting and beautiful and the rooms are spacious and full of amenities needed for multiple night stays. The lofted area for the bed was nice to give it a separateness from the living area. Breakfast buffet in morning was terrific and free newspapers nice to read while eating. We were suprised to find this is a pet friendly hotel. Unfortunately, someone left their pet who wimpered for quite a while as we were trying to sleep. The hotel staff was quick to attempt to fix most issues. No color on one of the TV's but someone came immediately and fixed it so hubby did not have to watch black and white golf! Staff was helpful in giving information about the area including parking tips. Perfect location for walking to Beale street and surrounding area. Also the roof top area was a nice place to have quiet conversation or use the hot tub or just look over the city. There was a laundry on this level as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not next to someone with a dog!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shorttrips60
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed there for four nights. Nice and spacious room with a kitchen corner. Free internet access, although it was only wireless in the breakfast/reception area and wired in the room. Location convenient both for Beale Street and the convention center, both of which are within walking distance.

My only gripe is with the (free) breakfast buffet, that wasn't as comprehensive and varied as at comparable hotels I've stayed at. It was still good though -- especially the waffles were excellent.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This hotel was chosen for me by a group. The rate was extremely reasonable, so I feared the hotel may be more budget oriented. It was absolutely the opposite. I can't believe how much of a value this place is. First, they let me check in WAY earlier than usual (like 9am,) the rooms are enormous, well appointed, super clean, very comfortable. My first day I spent 8 hours working from the Residence Inn. They were having technical difficulties with the wifi, but instantly left a note on all the doors and supplied an lan cable. Also the TV in the bedroom was a bit kooky, but since there were two TVs it mattered none. Nice happy hour, and nice breakfast were complimentary. I took advantage of having a full sized coffee pot during the day, and the full sized oven for a late night snack. Honestly, I could live in this hotel if need be.

I borderline giving this hotel an excellent rating, but hesitate because of the tiny technical difficulties.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business