“Excellent ”
Review of McEwen's On Monroe

McEwen's On Monroe
Reserve with OpenTable
McEwen's On Monroe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,558 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2ND & MONROE
Transit: Main Street Trolley stop is less than half block from restaurant entrance. Trolley stop located at Monroe and Mid America Mall.
Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

McEwans was recommend by our hotel, which was only 10 minutes walk away. We sat at the bar by choice and were well looked after by the bartender. Beer and wine were both reasonably priced and the wine was a good measure for a change! We are 2 small plates each, including a very tasty beef and broccoli soup. I enjoyed the crab cakes, but the stand out was the confit duck with beans. However, my partner would argue with me that his lobster risotto won the contest! Overall, not a cheap meal, but worth every penny and we would happily recommend.

Reviewed May 17, 2018

Our party of 6 was seated quickly with reservations. Downtown was busy with a ballgame, proms, and other events. The tasty biscuits won our party's tastebuds right away. The waitress was generous with the biscuits. I ordered the grouper special. It was cooked perfectly (not dry or undercooked). The other members of our party all ordered the catfish from the menu. All agreed it was delicious. Our service was pleasant and as expected at this restaurant (available, but not overbearing)

Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

It’s my wife’s birthday today!! She had read on Yelp that McEwen’s was good food and atmosphere visiting from So Cal she decided we should go there instead of the old favorites when in Memphis. We arrived on time and were seated promptly. Our waiter brought came timely and took our drink order. The bread was brought to the table but no butter. I ordered the pork chop and my wife ordered the filet. My dinner came cold hers was done correctly. The replacement for my dinner was done well. A large party sat down about 30 minutes after us and we basically lost our waiter to them. Eventually another staff member came by we ordered desert the coconut cake which was tasty. All in all the food and wine were good. What bothered me was not the cold initial serving but the fact I mentioned on our reservation two different times it was her birthday, it was never acknowledged. So due to the cold dinner, the lost waiter and the failure to acknowledge her birthday McEwen’s gets a three today.

Reviewed May 13, 2018 via mobile

Been travelling in Tennessee for last 2 week’s and this was by far the best meal we had. Lovely staff and great menu choices for food and wine at reasonable prices. I had smoked salmon as a starter, then pork chops which came with lots of vegetables (just my thing). Very pleasant restaurant, I didn’t feel rushed and had time to appreciate my fab meal. Live to far away to come again, shame!

Reviewed April 30, 2018

While it is a nice restaurant with good food and service, check your bill carefully. Cash register automatically adds a tip service charge of 16.6% to total food and sales tax amount. Meal check is rubber-stamped with "Service Charge Included" but most people will not see it and add more tip to bottom of bill. Normal custom is for customer to add tip based on level of server service. My guess is restaurant is trying to recover increased wage they must pay servers.

Been to McEwen's On Monroe? Share your experiences!