“Why has it been so long?”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 1,476 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$25 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We went to The Beauty Shop years ago. Saturday we were in Memphis and decided to go for lunch. We were not disappointed. The cheese plate was wonderful with a savignon blanc. Hubby had a salad with tuna, which he loved. My grilled romaine salad was ok...but it had a butane taste...like maybe it had been "grilled" using a kitchen torch. Wish I had ordered the Ruben sandwich instead, which was my second choice. In spite of that...we will return.

There are newer reviews for The Beauty Shop Restaurant

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Was really p!eased we booked as it was busy as a Friday night - lots of locals. We were in a booth which was brilliant. Really lovely food and cocktails and great service. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I waited in a line to get in, just to wait for a seat at the bar. As a solo traveler, sometimes service can be weird about you dining solo. That wasn't the case here. The white sangria was good and my blt was yummy. Overall a good experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had made a reservation for 11 a.m. I'm glad that we did. When we got there the place was packed and we're only taking reservations at that time. We had ordered food and the dishes were just okay I'm very Bland. The coffee was horrible and tasted like chicory. However, I really enjoyed the beignets. I would go back for those.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

On recent trip to Memphis, decided to give The Beauty Shop a try. Had been there several years back for a business dinner meeting, and remembered it fondly. It did not disappoint !

First off, love the eclectic neighborhood in mid-town Memphis. Parking was easy enough to find (they have a lot but his night was full). The building itself is steeped in history and lovingly restored. We sat in one of the old hair style booths - which offered both privacy and a sense of nostalgia.

The food was amazing - filet mignon cooked to perfection, the pork chop to die for, the Thai salad just a festival of fresh veggies and steak. Wine selections were awesome. Lastly, you've got to save room for desert - we had two - the caramel cake (OMG to die for) and even better, the chocolate crepes.

Service wasn't what I would call "fast" - but we were out for a leisurely dinner so spending it casually over 2 hours worked for us this evening. It was certainly good ol' southern hospitality service though - friendly, courteous, and spot on.

Can't say enough good things about The Beauty Shop - and will be adding it to my list of Memphis go-to's for the future!