“Well, I was hoping for a beatiful breakfast...”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 1,504 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$25 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Geeeze was I dissappointed!

I walked in, it wasn't too busy, there was a space at the bar, so I sat down got some coffee from the bartender, and looked at the menu.

The Eggs Benedict looked fantastic, so that's what I ordered. Ok, here we go...

It took forever.

Then when it came it was cold, and I could see the english muffins were not even toasted - I like a toasted english muffin, don't you? I like a little carbon around the edges... something to give it a little crunch as the perfectly poached eggs melt together on top of the toasted-to-perfection wheat-based platform, n'cest pas?

It was all cold - the eggs were cold and hard inside, and under a pour-over Hollandaise that was barely warm. They had made the eggs a few hours earlier or the night before and flash-heated them... TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Who does this? I sent it back gacefully because they were busy and we all have bad days now and then... but if you're a functioning food business - and I don't care who you are - you can't do this sort of thing...

So it came back, still not hot; at this stage whoever is expediting in the kitchen should know that you need to make the order OVER, you can't simply heat it up. Anyway, it was barely edible so I ate as much as I could stand and headed out. Before I left though, I asked the bartender to step outside - she did, and I told her what happened.

She wanted to make it right, but they had two chances already, so no need, but the management needed to be aware of this. I tipped the bartender very well because she was perfect - great service attitude, always a huge smile, not a feather ruffled. But I'd have to ground this place til they get their house in order.

NO ONE pre-cooks and stores Eggs Benedict... Shame on you! Change the name, too. Beauty Shop? C'mon, there was nothing beautiful about that breakfast.

1  Thank Eric S
KarenCarrier, Owner at The Beauty Shop Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

I'm sorry you had a less than perfect brunch experience. I want to assure you we do not pre-cook our eggs, they are all made to order. Regardless, you didn't receive eggs up to your par, and for that I do apologize. We usually do a pretty great job at consistently poaching eggs properly, so I'm not quite sure exactly what went wrong that day. I'll talk to the staff and try and make sure we don't have overcooked poached eggs in the future. I'm glad Stephanie was able to take great care of you, and I appreciate communicating the issues with your meal to us! We definitely can't learn without critique, and I do hope you'll give us another chance in the future to hopefully perform better.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We went to The Beauty Shop years ago. Saturday we were in Memphis and decided to go for lunch. We were not disappointed. The cheese plate was wonderful with a savignon blanc. Hubby had a salad with tuna, which he loved. My grilled romaine salad was ok...but it had a butane taste...like maybe it had been "grilled" using a kitchen torch. Wish I had ordered the Ruben sandwich instead, which was my second choice. In spite of that...we will return.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Was really p!eased we booked as it was busy as a Friday night - lots of locals. We were in a booth which was brilliant. Really lovely food and cocktails and great service. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

I waited in a line to get in, just to wait for a seat at the bar. As a solo traveler, sometimes service can be weird about you dining solo. That wasn't the case here. The white sangria was good and my blt was yummy. Overall a good experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I had made a reservation for 11 a.m. I'm glad that we did. When we got there the place was packed and we're only taking reservations at that time. We had ordered food and the dishes were just okay I'm very Bland. The coffee was horrible and tasted like chicory. However, I really enjoyed the beignets. I would go back for those.