“Best dinner of our vacation, terrific food”

The Beauty Shop Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beauty Shop Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,566 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$25 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Cooper Young Community Association
Cross street: Young
Description: Established in 2002. "Look Good. Eat Good." are the words emblazoned on the front windows at the Beauty Shop. This hip and trendy restaurant in the Cooper-Young district of midtown Memphis does both, as it conjures up images of a '50s-style beauty shop, formerly Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the façade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Nostalgia is served with a sense of humor here. The beauty shop flashback comes complete with original mint green wash basins filling in as sinks behind the hand built bar, made of tiger maple wood. The terrazzo floor is original. Glass brick stalls serve as intimate booths. Mixed with the retro renderings are modern touches such as hand-blown art-glass lights, and glamorous copper and silver-leaf walls. At this offbeat restaurant, the décor pays homage to the space's beauty parlor past, while the food offers flavors from around the globe.
Reviewed November 14, 2017

My partner and I recently took a six day vacation in Memphis. We ate at a number of good restaurants, but this was the best, hands down. I had the sugar spiced crispy duck with muddled blackberry, almond skordalia (what a great idea), coconut, and red curry broth with grilled vegetables on the side. Outstanding. I also had strawberry and balsamic gelato, which was terrific. My partner had hickory grilled chicken with ponzu brown butter, pea puree, pickled heirloom tomato, okra, carrots and onion rings on the side, plus smashed fingerling potatoes on the side. He raved about it for days, which is really something because he is pretty fussy. Our waitress was very friendly and nice. The atmosphere is funky and cool. But the food is the thing!

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

This was first visit to the restaurant in several years,,We were surprised to see that the food and service is still excellent, I had the Israeli breakfast and my wife ordered the duck breakfast,, both were excellent and we are looking forward to going back to try other items on the menu

Reviewed October 30, 2017

One of my favorite restaurants in Memphis. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is super fun. Great for brunch/lunch with friends. Nice selection of custom cocktails. Love the "Please, Please, Please" (vodka, pink grapefruit) cocktail. If you're lucky, you just might get to sit under the hair dryer. Be sure to make a reservation on the weekends.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

I tend to be a bit of a skeptic when someone claims to have "The Best" in any category. And, it seems like the places who specialize in breakfast or brunch all make that claim. So, my test is to order their Eggs Benedict, where I judge them by my two gold standards, those at Sardi's in New York and The Crown Plaza in Kansas City. In my experience in over 30 plus years no others come close to those two.

We have over the past year tried many places in greater Memphis for Sunday Brunch. as it is our "let's do some thing different each weekend" norm. My wife said we should try The Beauty Shop Restaurant in the Cooper-Young district, as she was told they had the "best brunch in Memphis". I was as always the skeptic, but what the heck ... and brunch in an old beauty shop ... really? Well, I had my test of claims and usually Eggs Benedict fail in one aspect or another, either the poached eggs are over or under cooked, the hollandaise sauce is not that good or worse it has gotten past it's prime sitting on the stove, the canadian bacon or ham (popular in the south) is greasy, or the english muffin or other toast is not cooked well or it has gotten soggy from sitting in a steamer pan to keep it warm.

So we made reservations, something I would recommend at least on Sunday for brunch, at The Beauty Shop Restaurant.

I must warn you if you want a formal place this isn't it! It is an old beauty shop, complete with 6 or so tables with one of the chairs being a beauty shop seat complete with the 1950s hair dryer on a stand for effect. The place is clearly designed to be casual and funky to appeal to the "millennials", who live in the Cooper-Young district.

We looked at the menu, and I looked for my Eggs Benedict tester. And, they had them either with bacon or ham. But, I also noticed they had some they called Italian Eggs Benedict made with prosciutto ham and a tomato sauce rather than the hollandaise sauce. The hollandaise sauce is one of the tests but I do like prosciutto ham, so I asked the waiter if I could get the traditional Eggs Benedict but substitute prosciutto ham for the ham or bacon ... and yes I would pay the extra dollar in price. The waiter didn't bat an eye and said, "I'm sure that won't be a problem." My wife decided on the Lemon Pancakes and we both said we would start with a Bloody Mary. Yes, there is a bar. When the waiter left the young woman at the next table leaned over and said to my wife, "Great choice, you'll love those Lemon pancakes!"

The drinks arrived and they were excellent. When the food arrived and we had a bite, and conversation between us stopped almost completely. My wife asked, "So how are the Eggs Benedict?" I cut a piece for her and said, "Try this ... as I've just found a new gold standard for Eggs Benedict!" After the bite she said, "Wow, that is excellent the hollandaise sauce is perfect and they even know how to poach the eggs to perfection." And then added, "And the young lady is right these lemon pancakes are to die for!"

Oh, we'll be back! Now I have to try the Italian Eggs Benedict ..... or the pecan waffles .... or .....

Reviewed October 2, 2017

Fried Green Tomato BLT sandwich -- a delightful twist on a classic-- excellent! It's a little pricey but the cute decor more than makes up for it. Will be back to check out other clever menu items.