“So, So Good”

Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,628 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2018

I was in Memphis for one night and a great friend and lifelong Memphis resident took me here for cocktails and apps. Incredible! We sat at the bar shortly after it opened, the bartenders are classic and the cocktails are extremely innovative. We ordered several apps, including red sauce and ravioli, just amazing. Looking forward to dinner next time!

Reviewed August 27, 2018

This is one of my 2 top favorite restaurants in memphis. A great vibe to the restaurant, which is an old house and beautifully done, creative, seasonally changing menu, a wonderful bar and cocktail menu, and a beautiful outdoor eating area. The service has always been excellent when we've been there. The portions aren't huge & I could eat 3 courses (not dessert usually) up until I hit 50! Do NOT skip the pasta course. We aren't huge eaters these days, so we recently split a first course (Octopus, which was excellent), split a pasta course, and each had an entree. Go for the pork entree, any time, although it's all been great in our experience. I wasn't too crazy about the pickled onion slivers on the pork chop on my recent visit, but my dining companion loved the piquant flavor contrast. The chop itself and light sauce was fabulous.

Reviewed August 7, 2018

With a well-regarded reputation for their expanding high-end quality F&B 'Memphis Empire', we decided we'd see what good cooks Mssrs Andy & Michael were on our first visit to Memphis..however it transpires upon reading the menu card once seated , "Andrew & Michael" are but 'executive chefs'...its Chad Harrison who is the true standard bearer here!

That put to bed, we can report our dinner was enjoyable indeed!

To begin we shared their Salumi plate (great! small $14 serve though) & a Swordfish Crudo-which turned out to be more like a vegetarian cerviche with a few bits of fish only..not good value ..yes, pleasant to eat...again overpriced at $14!

The Primi courses read well, but were somewhat flawed upon delivery...
the appealing Bucatini variation on the classic Spaghetti Carbonara was diminished being delivered way too salty (maybe the guanciale ?)..the other choices lacking comparable excitement when delivered.

For my Secondi I chose the 'Special of the Day'> filet of red snapper ..it was truly superb! Sitting on a bed of mixed vegetables (these too just a little oversalted--the fish was NOT! ..pls note this chef).....this was overall an most excellent dish..the very beautiful fish being cooked perfectly!!

Dolce was problematical as we jointly decided to share one selection because it listed including something extraordinary & beyond anyone's dining experience..Gelato with..Cilantro!

Oddly, upon eagerly trying this when it came to table --not one of the party could discern ANY cilantro whatsoever! We advised the wait person of our surprise & disappointment ..she comped the dish (thank you !) but that wasnt the point really!
Note to Chef Chad : why include the primo ingredient that turns out its is SO subtly blended(should it even BE in the item!) ..you cant taste it?

Our wine choice was good & their list is entertaining even if the relatively high pricing for many bottles hardly matches the sensible prices of the food offered.

Reviewed July 3, 2018

My friends and I had reservations to eat at Andrew Michael Kitchen on a Saturday night. The restaurant is a little ways out from downtown, but it is worth the trip.

The drink menu is interesting, but kind of hard to imagine what each drink will be like because of the unique ingredients. However, our waiter was able to describe the drinks and recommend some ones to our taste.

The food menu is kind of the same way. There are interesting ingredients that you are not sure will work together but do. Our waiter again made suggestions that we enjoyed. The menu is divided up into appetizers, pastas, main courses, and meats, cheeses, and vegetables for assembling a charcuterie platter all reasonably priced. The portions are pretty generous but not huge. Between 3 of us, we got a mixture of food. The AM breakfast appetizer was very rich and good. Each one of the pastas was tasty in its own way. We tried the raviolis, carbonara, gnocchi, and one other.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant is special occasion; although many people were not dressed up. From the outside of the building, it looks like a doctor's office or medical clinic.

Overall, the food made it worth traveling the extra distance for.

Reviewed June 28, 2018

Took my wife for her birthday. The service was great and worked hard to make the evening special. We wish the food as as good. She ordered the Leg of Lamb and I ordered the Chicken. The Lamb was overcooked a little and not seasoned very well. The Chicken was good, though, but not great. When we spend that kind of money for a nice dinner, we really expect to have a great meal, and this just missed that mark. Not having anything chocolate on the desert menu, we almost went somewhere else for desert. But our server talked us into trying the Sticky Toffee Pudding, which was fabulous! It capped off the evening, for sure, but it wasn't enough to raise the rating.

Been to Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen? Share your experiences!