“Sweet Spicy Love -- LOVE IT!”

UNCLE Lou's Fried Chicken
Ranked #34 of 1,493 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: McKellar - Whitehaven-Levi PD
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We were visiting Memphis and decided to stop in at Uncle Lou's since we saw it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. The customer service was outstanding. Everyone was very friendly. We chose Sweet Spicy Love (HOT)...and it was DELICIOUS!!!

2  Thank Travellove13

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I traveled with my family on a 10-day food trip through the South through OK, AR, TN, AL, MS, LA and TX. For each day we had targeted a place to eat for lunch and diner (breakfast was spontaneous). Uncle Lou's place was hyped on many forums, it's been on a TV show and all that, but for us it was a disappointment. The description was just, but the food, especially the chicken, was way overcooked, so were the okra and the fries, and the pickles were too salty on top of that. Maybe they used to be better, or maybe we just caught them on a bad day, but we were disappointed.

1  Thank MP5kov
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Not only is the fried chicken the best around these parts, Uncle Lou is the all-time great front of house. He has a voice somewhere between baritone and basso profundo, and he loves to work the crowd. If you must go at lunch time during the week, by all means get there before noon; eleven to eleven thirty would be much better. Try the half and half, traditional and what Guy Fierri called "sweet, spicy love." Try some corruption, too. Then loosen your belt, as it is going to be a very delicious, memorable ride.

1  Thank Terraplane8
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My wife is a fan of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," and this restaurant was featured on the show at one time, so she really wanted to try it. I'm glad she wanted to eat there.

We had eight chicken wings, (four homestyle, and four with the "sweet spicy love - mild"), fried pickles, and fried okra. Without a doubt, the chicken wings were the best I've ever eaten. I especially liked the sweet spicy love sauce - in fact, I bought a bottle to take home. The okra and pickles were also terrific.

Some people may not like that this restaurant is "off the beaten path," but I think it adds to the charm. If I ever return to Memphis, I will eat here again.

1  Thank MIhawks
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I go to Uncle Lou's for lunch with my co-workers fairly often. Never have had a bad plate of food or bad service. Everyone is very friendly. Can't beat it!

1  Thank Tina N