“Dynamite”

Ryu Sushi Bar
Ranked #540 of 1,581 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This place is excellent! No wait, no attitude, just good eating. Everything is fresh and served at expected temp. Simple on the outside, pleasant on the inside. The servers(two young ladies) are so pleasant and have a "willing to serve" mood about them. I found the restaurant from reading a previous review and since then has eaten there twice in the last four days (5-24/ & 5/26/12). My recommedation is the Sunny Roll and Fire Roll-excellent suggestions made by server. And the calamari is my all time favorite

1  Thank sassytrene

Reviewed September 17, 2011

Located right off Interstate 240, Ryu doesn't look like much on the outside. In fact, on a drive-by you might be tempted to keep on going. I did for about 4 years till I gave this place a try. What a mistake I made.

No fancy digs here, but the sushi is some of the best in Memphis. I've eaten here four or five times now and it is my go-to place when I'm craving sushi.

The staff is friendly and helpful in explaining the preparation of some menu items.

Prices are moderate, but well worth the quality you'll enjoy.

No hesitation recommending this place.

1  Thank JMfromMemphis
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Went to Ryu because of the excellent reviews on here, and I only ordered sushi so I cant comment on the Hibachi. Overall I thought it was average, although I did enjoy my rolls. I would give it a 3.5/5. I have eaten at all the other sushi joints in town as well, and I wouldnt put this on the top of my list. Great sushi is hard to find here, so I wont beat this place down too bad. It is a fairly large place, with in my opinion not much of an atmosphere, and was completely empty on the tuesday evening I went.....so my service was really good. I thought it was a little dirty, and wasnt too happy to see a couple little gnats flying around my food. I will say they do have some creative rolls, not as extensive list as say seikisui in town here, but some good ones. It looks like their prices may have gone up a little, but comparatively it is still cheaper than most. The sushi was good quality, but nothing fantastic. Overall I dont give it my highest recommendation, although it was good quality fish, well prepared, and affordable. But If your an avid sushi eater, I doubt you would be overly impressed.

1  Thank LH130
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Ryu was recommended by friends, and my wife and I love this place. Great sushi and hibachi. Cool atmosphere, very good prices, and friendly service.

1  Thank drs4242
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Found this place after reading a review in the paper. It's not in the most desirable part of town and not close to our house, but we only go there for sushi now. We've been to Osaka, Rain, Wasabi, Sekesui, Do, Red Fish, etc.. and Ryu is hands down our favorite. Everyone we've taken there agrees. We like the Spicy Cilantro and Kalisu rolls. My son loves the fried rice and he is very picky. Brought a friend that had the hibachi and she said it was the best she has ever had.

1  Thank TXNativeinTN

Been to Ryu Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!