“Tea and cakes at Old Hendry Farm”
Review of Old Hendre Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monmouth
Old Hendre Farm
Ranked #2 of 21 Monmouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Tea and cakes at Old Hendry Farm”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Lovely b+b on a working farm and excellent value.
We were walking Offa's Dyke. Val greeted us with tea and cakes and then we had a beef casserole and choice of 3 bottles of red wine. All great value.
En suite room was clean and spacious.
Val is a lovely woman who really looked after us and told me everything I ever wanted to know about chicken farming !
I can not emphasize what good value + warm welcome we received here.
Recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
South Wales
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Away on a girls two night break seeking tranquility,comfort and shopping .We found all ,and more with Val at Old Hendre Farm. A warm welcome ,even though we arrived rather late in the day. Val helped us with our many bags(shopping in Abergavenny),and took our wine and supper that we had bought and prepared a table for us in the spacious,homely lounge. A delightful night was spent ,followed by a good nights sleep in comfortable beds with quality bedding. Breakfast was superb,good start to day two and more shopping, this time in Monmouth. That evening Val,by now a new friend .once again helped us with preparing the table for supper ,even though she was caring for her three year old Grand-daughter and nervously awaiting the over due birth of Grandchild number two. A most memorable stay in idilic surroundings with a hostess who goes that extra mile ,or more ,for her guests We shall be returning , maybe next time with partners (or maybe not). Maggie and Dawn

Room Tip: The three guest rooms are equally delightful.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
sheffield
Reviewed 17 May 2011

A quiet and comfortable bed and breakfast. Having stayed in dozens of B and Bs over the last couple of years it is an absolute pleasure to stay in a B and B that is as clean and welcoming as this one. The owners are charming and will greet you with a hot pot of tea! Fantastic views of the surrounding countryside. A hidden gem.

Room Tip: The one at the back overlooking the fishing lake
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Old Hendre farm is a fantastic B&B & one of the best I have ever stayed in (I stay in a lot). The location is in a fantastic setting amongst beautiful countryside, the house is lovely & Valerie is a perfect host always wanting to help in any way. The breakfast is to die for.

We stay here every year as part of a Lands End to John O'Groats cycle tour & run the tour 4 times a year. We always look forward to our stay at Old Hendrie farm. Everytime we couldn't ask for a better service & it is our favourite B&B of the whole trip, so much so that this is my first entry on Tripadvisor & I felt compelled to leave this review.

Well done Valerie on creating a fabulous B&B & keep up the good work, we will see you again in July.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Steviequeevie
bristol
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Valerie gave us a very warm welcome, we had been walking all day so she showed us to our rooms before giving us refreshements in the lounge. We had plenty of tea, coffee and cake with the other guests, very pleasant.

Old Hendre Farm was a very convenient place to stay on our Offas Dyke walk as we didn't have to leave the path at all. The only draw back is that you could feel a bit stranded without a car as it's not situated in a village, we were aware of this when we booked and planned our day to incorporate our main meal of the day in Monmouth on route to Old Hendre Farm so that wasn't a problem at all.

We were in the Green room which was delightful, a good size, very clean and well decorated and the big plus for us as walkers - a bath, heaven!! Not all the rooms have a bath so if this is important to you be sure to mention it when you book. We had a good selection of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits in the room. There was a TV with a decent selection of channels, nice toiletries in the bathroom, everything you could wish for really and views to die for.

There was a good selection of cereals and yoghurts for breakfast. We chose not to have the full english breakfast, I must say though one of the other guests did have this and it looked delicious. For the remaining 5 of us Valerie was willing to cook any variation of the full English and we had a variety of poached & scrambled eggs, beans on toast with mushrooms added for good measure, she was a great host and nothing was too much trouble.

Valerie was very accommodating and offerred to wash and dry any clothing that needed it which could be very useful in bad weather. I would definately recommend Old Hendre Farm not just for walkers but anyone in need of a peaceful stay in the country.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank diytours
Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Valerie was a great host. I did not arrive until 9pm, despite being quite Valerie made me a lovely cup of coffee, nothing is too much trouble. My room and bathroom was spotlessly clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. I had a great nights sleep.

The little touches are the ones that made my stay a one to remember. A good selection of biscuits in the room and great tea/coffee making facilities. A TV with freeview, I was able to watch the football game I missed on the way in the car. I just hope Valerie did not hear me shouting at the TV in her quarters.

The house was absolutely beautiful, as was the breakfast/dining room, overlooking the beautiful countryside. The cooked breakfast was the best I have ever had on my travels. As I arrived late I did not have the chance to sample the evening meal, but would definitely eat there next time I stay…….which will be very soon!!!

To sum it all up, this is the best accommodation. I stay away quite a lot with my work and I always choose hotels which are normally substandard, needless to say when I am in the South Wales area I will be staying at Old Hendre Farm Bed and Breakfast.

From a very happy customer

Ross

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank RossA1982
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Having stayed at a number of B&B's this has to be my favourite! The house is part of a working farm and the views are absolutely stunning! they even have their own wood and acres of land to explore. Val was a fantastic host, and the facilities and meals were first class!
I will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen19712
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monmouth
2.0 km away
16.5 km away
Castle Lodge Hotel
Castle Lodge Hotel
#9 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to Old Hendre Farm? Share your experiences!