Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$296
Expedia.comUS$269
eDreamsUS$296
PricelineUS$296
CheapTicketsUS$269
Agoda.comUS$297
All reviews afternoon tea country house hotel wine list cream tea market menu evening meal both nights lounge area this lovely hotel night break cooked breakfast a lovely stay mawddach trail lorraine fires dogs niggle
Selected filters
Reviewed September 12, 2020 via mobile

We visited for two nights as a Wowcher deal including breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Beautiful hotel, well kept, very clean. The room was huge as was the bed. Bath and lovely big separate shower. Excellent black out curtains if you want a sleep in. Good choice of breakfast and lovely cream tea on arrival. The driveway is one way, be aware but there are passing places. An all-round fabulous luxury stay at this beautiful old traditional hotel with modern twist.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2020

I have read other reviews on this hotel and the theme seems to be Fawlty Towers. I’m not sure I totally agree but I think there are definitely elements. We had 2 rooms. Both very clean and maintained but in need of modernising. Personally I do not want to share a bathroom with a semi naked bronze cast, a vase of black ostrich feathers and a chess set. The food is very good but it should be as it is not cheap. Breakfast was excellent but make sure you ask for the amount of items you want otherwise you’ll end up with one rasher of bacon etc. Extra charge for speciality tea!? Be warned about changing your dinner plans, you can’t, well not without a £25 pp charge. This I would understand for external diners but it is no way to treat your residents. Especially as I wanted to move it to the following night not cancel completely. The staff were very nice and friendly, apart from one, who turned out to be the owner. Although once you make the effort to talk to him, he’s fine. Most hotels you stay in, nothing is too much trouble, you don’t quite get that feeling here. In summary, this could be a great hotel but isn’t.

Date of stay: August 2020
2  Thank Wivenhoe40
Reviewed July 27, 2020

Booked a two night stay through secret escapes in November 2019 after a previous pleasant stay a year before, we mentioned on our booking that we had previously visited, and asked for nice room with a view. We were greeted and shown to a small tired room at the back of the house my wife went to the reception and asked for larger room if posible, we were shown a luxury room and advised that we could move into here, great we thought that's a nice gesture. After a pleasant diner on the first evening (included in the deal) and paying £22.00 for a tin of luke warm guiness and a gin and tonic we decided that we would eat out on the second night as the restaurant was very overpriced and had no atmosphere at all. Upon checking out we were greeted by a bill for another £100.00 on top. When I asked what this was for the owner a lady (I guessed she's the owner as she has her pictures all over the hotel) said well you booked the cheap deal and the extra is £25.00 per person per night. For the room upgrade. I advised her that we had been advised it was £25.00 per night to which we reluctantly agreed at no time were we told this was per person
to which she rudely snapped you should have known.
Well now I do know and would not return or recommend anyone else to.
Yes the building is beautiful as are the grounds but it's not 1992 which is reflected in the rooms, there are plenty of other places to stay around this beautiful part of Wales that are not pretentious as this. Avoid! !!!!!

Room tip: Stay somewhere else
Date of stay: November 2019
4  Thank craighind1962
Reviewed March 16, 2020

We booked for three nights for October 19 but due to family health we had to move the date. Pen Hall allowed us to do this at a cost of £50. We booked a dog friendly room.
We arrived on Friday 6th March and advised we would be checking in early evening. We parked with other vehicles outside the hotel entrance and when we entered there were no staff present. There is no reception desk and there is a bell on a desk but not clear how one should check in. I saw two people in an office in the next room so knocked on the door and asked for reception a man barked at me ˋthere is no reception . A lady in uniform approached us and asked if we were the couple bringing a dog, we had our Fox Terrier with us and she swiftly told us he was not allowed in any room of the hotel just the entrance hall. The lady then asked where we had parked and when we said outside she said we should not of parked there as our room was outside the hotel round the back. We all walked together and the room was above the kitchen and bin area only approached via the metal fire escape stairs. My husband is a trauma amputee with a prosthetic limb and I raised concerns about the access as the stairs were metal and steep and it was a cold wet evening. The staff member just shrugged. On entering the room we were handed a NOT TO DO list for our dog and we were asked did we bring a cage. We were shocked and uncomfortable as we booked the trip to spend time with our dog and not leave him in the car or locked in a cage. There is also a charge of £25 per night for dogs. On re-entering the hotel the owners appeared ,Mark Weston interrogated my husband and was rather rude, Lorraine spoke to myself and was friendly.
We asked about dining and were told on numerous occasions how late we were so we asked for a bar menu, there is not a bar menu but there is room service menu. The lady stood over us whilst we made hurried choices. I asked for the Salmon and the staff member returned informing me the Salmon was not available and to have the Mackerel which was on the dinner menu. I declined and as gluten free the only other option was tomato soup. I also asked for soya milk to for tea and after waiting 20 minutes was informed there was not alternative to dairy and it was my fault for not informing the hotel prior to our stay. I was told Soya milk would be available for breakfast. This was also the case with regard to gluten free.
When the soup arrived it was barely edible with raw peppers and garlic thrown into what tasted like tinned soup. When the waitress asked why I had left so much I just said not to my liking. My husband wanted beer from the bar but this was not available, he had a can of Guinness as the only option. When he rang the bell to order further drinks no one arrived so after 20mins gave up and retired.
The following morning with our dog having to stay in the car we entered the breakfast room. I asked if the soya milk was now available and informed no it had not been requested. I had not had a hot drink since the previous morning. The waitress informed me I could go back to the room and wait half an hour whilst they tried to sort the issue or go without. So we sat down started breakfast and 20 minutes later a waiter brought the milk.
At this point we were feeling very uncomfortable in the hotel and decided to leave.
We rang the bell and after 15 mins gave up so went back to the room and I wrote the feedback on the comments forms. We left cash what we believed our fare was worth and left. We saw the owner outside as we packed the car and he just ignored us.
In total we paid £460 for a one night stay which was dreadful.
We received an email a little later from Louise who instead of apologising about our experience demanded another bill for £36. This was followed by another threatening email when we refused to pay. We booked our trip through secret escapes whom we have used for many years, every stay prior to Pen Hall has been excellent. We felt that we were treated differently by hotel staff as secret escapes clients. My feedback and complaint has yet to be acknowledged. I formally complained through secret escapes and this too has not been acknowledged.
This is NOT a dog friendly hotel, please also read previous reviews and the service is very poor indeed. It is such a pity as the building is very beautiful.

Room tip: Not a dog friendly hotel
Date of stay: March 2020
8  Thank Animalsanctuary
Reviewed March 12, 2020

We visited the hotel for afternoon tea late on a chilly March day. The entrance is beautiful with traditional furnishings and a huge fire. The staff were welcoming and our coats were taken before we were shown to a table beautifully laid and ready for our tea. The huge room was again furnished expensively and was warmed by another huge fire. As we sank into a deep, cosy sofa our tea arrived: dainty sandwiches, fruit cake, scones with cream and jam and several other slices of cake. We were brought an extra pot of tea by lovely staff who made us feel welcome. We stayed for some time after we had finished eating, just relaxing as we looked out over the gorgeous grounds, lake and trees. This had been a present from our son and we couldn’t have been more pleased. Beautiful venue, lovely staff and delicious food!

Date of stay: March 2020