All reviews the penthouse portmeirion village free entry underfloor heating gas fire small kitchenette whirlpool bath mini kitchen huge room living flame port merion walk in wardrobe mussels welsh lamb sister hotel lounge area fabulous hotel
Reviewed February 13, 2018

My husband booked us in the castle for a night for my birthday. From the moment we arrived the service was second to none. The suite was beautifully decorated with everything that would be needed. The lounge with large open fire is impressive. We had a few cocktails while we waited for our table. The atmosphere was lovely and chilled, The food was fantastic. I was so impressed I have rebooked before again.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Visited as a family of 3 (2 adults and 1 toddler) for a lunch.
Lovely sitting area with log fire to sit and wait and relax for your table/food to be ready.
The menu was a bit on the expensive side if going for a cooked lunch (as opposed to a sandwich) but as this was a special occasion, we'd find it a bit too expensive to be honest.
We had the fish & chips and the lamb. The kids menu was very unimaginative - usual pizza, fish fingers, sausage with chips that you find at your local pub. The dessert however was brilliant and our son really enjoyed the sticky toffee pudding with sauce and ice cream. The adult version of the pudding was also very delicious!

Our bill cam to £58 with 2 mains, 2 puddings, 1 kids meal (inc. pudding), and 2 Orange juices.

Service was good, even though we had to ask twice for water for the table. I would expect water for the tablet to be offered to every table at an establishment of this level

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2018

We have just returned from a 3-night stay at the Castell and have to say it was fantastic.
The staff were really friendly and helpful (and other hotels take note - there were plenty of staff to help). We ate in the restaurant twice and the food was absolutely top quality with very generous portions. The full Welsh breakfast is also brilliant
We stayed in 2 rooms - we decided to book an extra night and had to move (this was no hardship). Both rooms were extremely spacious and well-equipped - aah for decent lighting.

Room tip: I would imagine all the rooms are spacious and most have fantastic views
Reviewed February 7, 2018 via mobile

We stayed for just the one night this time, and one in The Hotel, as we couldn’t get two in The Castell.

I always prefer The Castell accommodation to The Hotel but, on this occasion, we weren’t in my favourite room. Some things were brilliant, as always: the downstairs bar, the roaring fire, the sherry in the room.

Breakfast was good. I’d like to see more fruit though and it’s far more preferable to sit in the main room overlooking the garden. A big long table of about 20 meant we couldn’t.

Dinner was delicious. We both had the Steak: me with a peppercorn sauce and hubby with a garlic butter. It was faultless. Hubby enjoyed the baked Alaska and I had the cheese. It was packaged up for me to take home but I put it in the bedroom fridge overnight and forgot it. Alas...

My criticisms would be a lot of children running around on Sunday afternoon - there was a big surprise birthday party - and stomping around in bedrooms in the evening. They spoilt the usual Sunday calm and reading the papers in peace by the fire. I know it can’t be helped but at 4-5pm lunch was over and still they were running amok. It was inconsiderate to other paying guests.

Also, some bedroom facilities are looking a bit tired. The black cupboards need a lick of paint and our room, 3, needs brightening up. The underfloor heating didn’t seem to work in the bedroom and the lights kept flickering. We did try to change rooms but it was fully booked. I’d also appreciate fresh coffee in the room - that sachet stuff is horrid - to accompany the fresh shortbread.

We’ll be back again next year, I’m sure, but to a different room... In room 3 you hear the deliveries and it’s not a pleasant bedroom view. I’m sure rooms 2 and 8 are ones I prefer.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2018

We booked three rooms for an anniversary weekend for my parents. The evening stay was excellent. Very helpful staff always on hand and courteous. The rooms were beautiful - spacious, comfortable and well-designed. Small added extras like the sherry, tea/coffee with biscuits, bathroom amenities and gown/slippers all added to the experience. We had dinner in the restaurant and the meal was excellent - such a relaxing and stylish environment, with lovely food and drink; plenty of choice. This was all capped off with a wholesome breakfast on Sunday morning. I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough. It was a pleasure to travel across Wales to visit this special place. Diolch yn fawr iawn/thank you very much.

Room tip: Room 10 - but any room would be great.
Date of stay: January 2018