“Romantic atmosphere ”

Ranked #7 of 46 Restaurants in Ruthin
Price range: US$29 - US$95
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Award-winning dining within historic castle setting complete with chandeliers. Romantic and memorable at realistic prices. Library bar with open fire. Acres of beautiful gardens.
Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

Myself and partner had a 2 course meal here included in a deal bought from secret escapes with a stay for my birthday. ( separate review about the hotel )
The decor of the restaurant is dated but fits in well with all the chandeliers in the room which makes it romantic . The food was good apart from my starter ( pate) which was bog standard and nothing special , certainly didn’t taste homemade. Food was presented well and service good apart from we never got the bread offered like everyone else.

Reviewed June 4, 2018 via mobile

We booked at Ruthin Castle for afternoon tea after receiving a voucher from a relative as a Christmas Present.

The grounds of the hotel are fairly well kept and the reception greeting was warm and friendly from the gentleman manning the desk. As we had unintentionally arrived some 35 minutes early, he suggested we could always pop in to the restaurant and see if they would be able to accommodate us. We didn’t really mind, but as we had plans for late afternoon we thought we would ask anyway.

As we pushed the door to the restaurant and just asked politely “is this where afternoon tea is served” a young lady with a laptop who was sat at the table informed us very bluntly, “yeah at 1 o clock”. That was us told. We wandered the grounds of the hotel passing time until 1300 when we returned. The door to the restaurant was open this time so we went in to wait and started looking at the pictures on the walls, the same young lady returned. She asked for our name and “have you already handed your voucher in?” She then pointed to two tables we could choose from. We sat down and then were offered drinks, we asked for tea. She came back with a pot of tea and asked us to let her know if we wanted any more. Nothing happened for about 10mins, we didn’t know whether we were supposed to be choosing preferences from a menu or to wait. So we waited and the the young lady again, appeared from the kitchen with a typical afternoon tea stand. We were then left to make a start.

I have been to several afternoon tea experiences and I have to say never one like this. In fact, myself and my husband felt quite uncomfortable. I wondered if it was because we were ‘voucher customers’. Either way, service was pretty abominable. I’ve never had to ask for top ups of tea previously whilst having afternoon tea. Usually, a warm greeting followed by a brief explanation of the menu or the process the establishment follows with regards to Afternoon Tea. We received none of these. We felt very unwelcome and left as soon as we finished.

The food was ok ... nothing to write home about, but the whole experience was very disappointing. I would not return to Ruthin Castle for any form of dining experience again. Customer service in the restaurant needs serious attention. I would imagine if we were to return the two dead flies on the window sill next to us would probably still be there as well. The dead flies mark the mood of the restaurant staff.

Reviewed May 29, 2018

My friend and I stayed at Ruthin Castle at the weekend. Upon checking in to the hotel we were offered a table for dinner, we booked for 8pm. We arrived at the restaurant at 8pm on the dot to find a reception with a sign asking diners to please wait to be seated. Of course, this is typical at a restaurant. However, what is not typical is having to wait almost ten minutes for someone to come to the reception to seat us.

Once seated we were provided with food menus but no wine list. The waiter promptly returned to take our order, where I asked for a wine list. When our wine arrived the waiter noticed we had no water on our table. I mentioned all the tables around us also appeared to be offered bread, but we had not yet. He replied bluntly with, "it will come." Needless to say, neither bread nor water ever arrived.

At the bottom of each menu it states all food is prepared to order and can take some time in busy periods. The restaurant was certainly busy, yet the food took only a couple of minutes to arrive. The moment we finished our starters, our mains arrived. Whilst I appreciate food is often prepared in advance to streamline the process, it was clear the food we were eating was mass produced and simply kept warm and dished up when required. At almost £40 for three courses this is unacceptable.

The waiting staff lack any passion or confidence and one waiter was simply rude. To say the decor is dated would be an understatement. It looks and feels very cheap and dirty.

I would recommend people avoid this restaurant and look for options in the town.

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Visited Bertie's at Ruthin Castle for a family afternoon tea. Firstly the tea itself and location were lovely. We had a good selection of sandwiches, egg mayo, chicken and smoked salmon, which I have to say were excellent, not just one thin piece of salmon but a good two slices per sandwich. The cake selection was lovely as well, peanut butter eclairs, fruit tarts as well as the traditional scone with clotted cream. The two waitresses in the restaurant were young but were extremely attentive, especially the younger blonde girl. My only concern for the hotel in general was arriving at reception to find no record of our reservation. What made this worse was I initially booked the afternoon tea two weeks ago. I then on Friday (two days ago) phoned to confirm only to be told there was no record. In short I phoned twice and still no record of a reservation when we arrived. Apart from this a great couple of hours in a lovely location.

Reviewed May 26, 2018 via mobile

The food we had was of a high standard, but in brief nowhere near enough staff. They have a reception table to meet and greet unmanned so there were customers lurking about for well over 10 minutes waiting to be seated. There was one lady that seemed to be doing everything, some what seemed to be senior staff. talking to the customers rather than helping their colleague.My old manager would have given out written warning for that being a service industry were the customers come first. Also the time for sunday lunch was between 1pm and 2:30pm, you don't need to think it out much open sooner close at 3pm. You could cram this beautiful place and get 2 sittings per table not just the 5 tables in total having Sunday lunch the whole time we were there. Come on Ruthin Castle management make this place vibrant and busy or just stick to hotel rooms.