“A Lovely Evening”

Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Tywyn
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Proper Gander we pride ourselves on serving the very best in local Welsh produce alongside friendly customer service and a relaxed atmosphere. Located in a stunning area of rural mid Wales, our menu reflects the freshness, quality and variety of our landscape. For example: Our Welsh lamb, beef and pork are from local farms. Our fresh fish and seafood are caught by resident fishermen off our beautiful coastline. We serve only the best Award Winning Welsh cheeses. We offer a wide selection of beers, ciders, ales and spirits sourced from our unique local breweries and distilleries. And of course, all our fantastic dishes are created and prepared by our very own Welsh Chef.
Reviewed August 12, 2017

We went on a Friday evening as was pleased we had booked as the restaurant was fully booked. When we arrived we were shown to our table and the waitress brought over the menus. We were given a bottle of water and had time to order our drinks when we knew what we were going to eat. I had the Prawn Cocktail which was very tasty and the Fried Sea Bream for main, this came well presented on a hot plate and tasted as good as it looked. I also had the Pavlova for dessert which was very good. All together it was a very good evening and will be returning in the near future.

Reviewed August 11, 2017

Some dishes are good but some are very bad indeed. I suspect some items are pre cooked and reheated (sauted potatoes were charred as was the pork crackling). We had to send back one dish as it was so dry (aubergine bake with rock hard garlic bread) whilst the mussels are overcooked (out of season?). The crab starter is fine as it should be, service is friendly but the upstairs décor is dated, with a collection of vaguely relevant pictures on the wall which add nothing. It is expensive for the experience but drinks are well priced. Could be so much better.

1  Thank Tourist_Turtle
217wendyw, Owner at Proper Gander, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2017

I believe you were in a party that night and I am sorry that you were the only one that had reason to complain, however, professional pride requires a more purposeful response. We do NOT reheat food, our kitchen door is always open to the public so as they can see the effort that is applied, our dishes are cooked freshly to order....every time. The crackling is already cooked and not reheated. The mussels are in season all year round due to the stringent purification regulations imposed and they were delivered fresh in that morning from Menai and to overcook such would be such an oversight it could not happen. We spoke at the time with regards to the Aubergine Parmigiana and accepted the fact that it was dryer than usual and agreed on the acceptance of another dish....and on the face of it it seemed to have been resolved at the time. I was wrong.

Reviewed August 10, 2017

Enjoyed meal out with hubby to celebrate 43 years of marriage. We had a three course meal, the starter was prawn cocktail very tasty but very small portion for price paid. My main course was steak and it was delicious and it was cooked to my liking. I did have to ask for the courgettes which were not on my plate but advertised on menu - they were so small I need'nt have bothered! The dessert was the best, I had caramel cheesecake which was great and the portion was well worth it. We had a bottle of wine as it was our anniversary, a little pricey but palatable.

Reviewed August 9, 2017

Hadn't read any reviews for Tywyn and just went in here because their lunch menu was only £5. We had fabulous meals - fish pie (lush), ploughman's lunch and a lamb burger from the lunch menu. There was no chicken, which is always my son's choice but they waitress (who I think may well have been the owner) went to check if they had a chicken breast.
The restaurant was so lovely and clean - it has great decor just a very pleasant place to eat. I particularly liked the jug of water which was presented in an old fashioned glass stopper bottle.
The toilets were pristine and smelled fresh.

The plates were not huge but sufficient however there's always space to squeeze in a pudding especially when there's salted caramel cheesecake on offer. In fairness to the waitress she did suggest that we may want to share but we are no lightweights and ordered 2 pieces of cheesecake and a raspberry coulis - the desserts were HUGE and absolutely fabuLUSH!!!! Luckily, dad didn't order a dessert so was able to help out with the extra spoon which was silently placed on the table.

This was a lovely meal and I would return again without hesitation.It cost just under £50 for 4 meals plus drinks and dessert.

1  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

We visited here two nights running as the service, food and local sourcing of produce was amazing! I had Menai mussels last night and welsh park belly with cracklings tonight. Nothing was too much trouble including accommodating gluten free meals with no issues. The local gin was very special.