“Lovely”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 6 January 2015 via mobile

Lovely warm welcome. The chef made a sauce that wasn't on the menu so that was a lovely touch. They didn't hover over us whilst eating which was niniceTge food was cooked to perfection.

Reviewed 28 December 2014

I really do not know where to start. As a family we had contacted the restaurant to see if they could host a family celebration for 30-35 people of which they said that there would be no problem. We submitted pre orders of starters and mains for the group.

We arrived on Saturday to be presented with a squashed seating arrangement, Where there was no actual room to get in and out of the table or even to comfortably eat. Because the waitresses were overwhelmed with takeaway orders and other tables we were constantly up and down to the poorly staffed and stocked bar causing issues for others and for our party. The pre order list was divided into groups knowing that most members would sit with their children or partners. However the kitchen did dish by dish so it meant that no one ate at the same time. This was not to much of an issue of starters but on mains it meant I had my dish and there was a delay in my partner having his.additionally there was no offer of table water or condiments.actually this was a relief as there would have been no room for them or glasses as the waitresses were constantly removing unused glasses as they needed then for other tables.

On the note of food my food was cold and dry. the only thing that was not dry was the soggy chips which seem to resemble frozen chips.The veg was undercooked and the presentation was non existence. My partners stake was again over cooked at well done rather than medium. Many of the steam eaters did not get given a steam knife either. None of this could be communicated to the staff as apart from delivering the food there was no customer service at all.another group member ordered the chicken pasta and when it was presented it was a bowl of plain pasta, she then had to wait for it to be re done by which time most of the group had finished. Additionally I did not order a starter in hope of a desert however we were not one offered to see the deserts venue.

We were Sat by the bar and found it very UN welcoming to hear star stressed staff speak negatively about our group and ask get a poor customer service from the bar staff.

Additionally it was also concerning that when a part of our party moved to a unused table for her family to eat(2 adults 2 children) they were told that they could not sit there as it was set up for a table of 8 . As explained by the group member there was actually no room for them to eat due to the poor layout of our groups table. The staff member was very unwelcoming and made the children feel uncomfortable to sit there and eat.

It is truly disappointing to have experienced such poor customer service and food from a small business who were well informed about the group size and also be provided the group's pre orders in advance.

I heard that they are closing to revamp, it felt that our group was just about the money .I hope that part of this revamp is more staff for large groups, more motivated staff and better quality food.

All in all I am unsure if any of our group would come back or recommend visiting which is a shame for the business.

Very disappointing.

Reviewed 28 November 2014 via mobile

I like to review fairly and honestly. Having been to Da Gennaro a number of times this year (and submitted a positive review previously), I'm afraid that last night wasn't really up to scratch.

We booked for 6pm and arrived on time to an otherwise empty restaurant - however, before long two large groups began to arrive. Luckily we placed our orders - very simple, two pizzas and a bowl of chips - before it got too busy. The pizzas duly arrived, but no sign or mention of the chips until five minutes in when the staff admitted (without apology) that they'd forgotten them. The kitchen was alerted, meanwhile we had the chance to assess the pizzas. Previously a high point of this restaurant, last night something was not right. From the undercooked bases to the odd smell and taste of the cheese, not really on par with past experience. Like all good Brits do in restaurants, we said nothing and got on with it. Oh, and the chips finally arrived but you guessed it - rushed out by the kitchen, they too were underdone. Needless to say, they were not discounted from the bill.

Nobody asked if our meals were OK (nobody ever does here), and I feel that they were more concerned with the larger groups of regulars. You could theorise that the big groups were also the reason why our meals were rushed and mistakes made - this, however, does not explain the strange cheese and in any case, I fail to see why food should be undercooked just because a restaurant is (marginally) busy! Maybe time to try somewhere else for a while. In the meantime, I hope they read this review and act on it, because when they're on form they're hard to beat.

Reviewed 22 November 2014

Great classic Italian food with friendly staff. Prices are reasonable and there is a wine choice. By arrangement you can bring your own bottle. Great food cooked and served by members of the Italian family.

Reviewed 13 November 2014

I eat at this restaurant regularly and recommend it to other people. The 2 course lunch and early menu is very good value and the food is really good . Staff are always pleasant and accommodating.