See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 14, 2017

Hi everyone,
My family and I used to stay there during the 60s and later in the 70s.
We were just kids then, and we'd come down from the farm in Warracknabeal, in the Holden Premier wagon, with the wooden surfboard on the pack rack.
Back then there wasn't the places to eat in the Main Street that there is now.
From what I remember we had brekky and dinner in the dining room at the guest house.
The guest house owners back then, Mr and Mrs Dunkley put on plenty of entertainment fir everyone.
Occasionally we'd go to Rye for mini golf . There's mini golf in the Sorrento Main Street now.
Yes, I love to reminisce, sorry to bore you!

We made some beaut friends there, some of which we maintained years later.

In recent times I've been doing a "back to" . I love to relive good times. It's nice to return to fir get about life for a while .

If you don't mind a bit of "oldness" , give it a try.

Room Tip: Oh well, choose a rom near toilet and shower (shared) on the corner
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2016 via mobile

Annually we do a car rally for our employees with a secret destination overnight. Whitehall accommodated all 26 of us and there was still plenty of rooms not occupied. A commercial kitchen where we had a team Masterchef Challenge was fantastic and fully equipped. Huge living, dining room,and undercover deck area. Whitehall is a little tired, however everyone enjoyed themselves and it suited our needs perfectly.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2016

Whitehall Guesthouse is a great old place near the back beach at Sorrento.

It is a little old and tired but she is a grand old lady that is clean, comfortable and very conveniently located and a good price for Sorrento.

We didn't have any trouble with noise or loud people. There are shared bathrooms but they are clean and tidy and it's good value.

I have stayed here on more than one occasion and have enjoyed it each time. I would recommend Whitehall Guesthouse.

Room Tip: I always choose one of the larger rooms, pay the extra.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liza-jane W
Reviewed March 8, 2016

Subject: Oceanic Whitehall Guesthouse Sorrento
Front desk open from 10am to 5pm on weekends,so we never actually saw a staff member for our stay.
A room for 3 people was $200. It was a room with a sink,and just fit a double bed and a single bed. The single had a stained duvet with a sheet over it, no proper cover. The bedside lamp wasn't working. We had to leave early and breakfast wasn't served until 8.30, so we didn't get to have it.
When I called to complain later that day, the girl who took my call said "yeah that's pretty messed up" (except she didnt say 'messed' she used a word that tripadvisor wont let me post) and offered no rectification.
It's for sale. I guess they've just given up.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2016 via mobile

I appreciate some of the negative comments below but in fairness to Whitehall...you know up front what to expect. Yes it's shared bathrooms. Yes the continental breakfast is average but it IS included. No you can't open all windows nor is there AC in every room (ask for AC in summer). But what you do get for around $150 on a Saturday night is - a rare chance to stay in a stunning 1904 two storey sandstone building with gracious wide verandahs overlooking the town and bush, the last building before the ocean reserve. We bought dips etc and enjoyed them in comfortable outdoor chairs and table on this beautiful verandah and it was heavenly.
Also boasts a wide staircase, wide corridors, a kitchenette with fridge and microwave. The billiards room has a piano for guests to play and open fire place and another lounge further along.
Here is a place from yesteryear...freshly painted since we were here last here some years ago. We just love it.
Don't overlook it as the property is for sale and may soon be revamped to the extent it will no longer be affordable for many.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family