Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience The Parthenon
from US$39.00
from US$20.25
from US$28.13
from US$39.00
4,044 results
All reviews statue of athena centennial park original parthenon exact replica greek mythology full scale percy jackson parthenon in athens real parthenon surrounding park art gallery vanderbilt university beautiful building walk around gift shop on display greece
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We went to Athens last year and got to see the Parthenon. (It is always under repair, so you can never go inside.) The Nashville Parthenon is open. We paid $4 for one senior ticket. The lower floors are a museum ... interesting. However, the upper floor is quite impressive.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

A pretty cool idea. I have been fortunate enough to have been to the real one in Athens and this replica adds to that experience (though, for obvious reasons, does not replace it).

Let me start with the good:

It is an exact scale replica. The artistic detail is very close to the original (design-wise). It was cool to see the huge doors that allowed entrance and to see they were also decorated. Seeing the scale of the goddess that graced the original was pretty humbling as well. The case replicas behind her in the adjacent room was pretty cool to see and well worth visual study in understanding how masterful the original artisans must have been.

The meh:

The material choice used to create this is so odd to me, why use aggregate heavy concrete when the original was made of smooth marble? I am guessing that it was a budget decision.

The goddess statue was a complete letdown imo. If you look at ANY marble work done at the time you will quickly see why. This replica is more akin to a lawn statue, not the masterful, flowing, in action artwork that the Greeks of this time were masters of. Just 100 feet away are replicas that show any observant person just how far off the mark this replica must be. One look at Victory tells you that this is more of a Christian angel than it is of the pagan Greek. Her wings tucked, instead of flowing as if ready to take flight.

My hope is that, one day, the people who care for this wonderful idea correct this gracious error and replace this statue with something more reminiscent of the people / art of the time.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

I wasn't overly impressed, therefore we didn't go inside to do the tour. I's am interesting looking building, but I just didn't get the fascination.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Having just traveled to Athens to see the original, it was really cool to see what it may have looked like back in the day. The interior exhibits all focus on the Exhibition it was built for, and the statue is not historically accurate (although impressive), so the exterior was the most interesting aspect for me. They did have a 1:10 scale model of a crane they may have used to build the original, and the huge bronze doors were impressive.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

This replica is massive. We had fun with photos and never made it inside because it was a stop over while waiting on hotel check in. I guess there is a 25 foot statue of Athena inside according to another visitor from France. I don't know but we will visit next time we visit Music City!

Date of experience: March 2018