Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Tennessee State Museum
from US$39.00
More Info
from US$154.95
More Info
All reviews civil war free admission native americans prehistoric times egyptian mummy modern times three floors historical artifacts great exhibits on display andrew jackson rainy day few hours couple of hours history lesson gift shop downtown nashville
Reviewed 3 days ago

Knowing that I was going to be in Nashville in October, I was excited to learn that the new Tennessee State Museum would be opened early October. I was not disappointed- indeed this museum exceeded my expectations. Beautiful spacious areas, excellent displays that are arranged in time order of the history of Tennessee and a wonderful shop full of ‘made in Tennessee’ gifts (obviously made a real effort to just not stock your run of the mill Chinese junk) - much appreciated.

Reviewed 6 days ago

For some reason when I researched this on Google Earth the location was the old one at 5th Ave/Union St. So we paid $18 for 2 Hours at a corner lot. We walked over to the museum and saw the "closed" sign. Security directed us to a nearby bus shuttle pick up point where we waited in the rain for a free shuttle bus to the NEW museum. We rode it back to our car then moved our car to the free museum parking lot. Beautiful new museum takes at least two hours. After you can walk over to the Farmer's market. They have a food court with lots of diverse selections. Wish I had known about the new museum but glad we went. And it's FREE!

1  Thank AkuByrd
Reviewed 1 week ago

Great new building with excellent exhibits on state history. The building is to reach with disabled parking near entry doors. Budget at least three hours to do this attraction justice.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I learned a lot while I was there and it was enjoyable. There were a lot of school kids there on field trips that were pretty wild and loud, but I still had fun. It’s newly opened so it’s kind of still a work in progress. I want to go again once it’s completed.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Exhibits started with early Tennessee history and went through the years. Interesting artifacts such as files recovered from the World Trade Center and moccasins that were hand-made by local Indians that had inhabited the area. Admission is free, and it is a pleasant place to spend some time.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We wanted to see as much of Nashville as possible including all facets of the culture. While the music is great and certainly a huge part of past history and current living, there is also the military aspect. We found it didn't take a whole lot of time and we found it interesting and enjoyable.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This recently renovated Museum was great! It is informative with excellent exhibits. One does not have to be from Tennessee to enjoy it. I also liked the location with it being a short walk from the State Capital. And there is a nice park/mall behind it. I wish I had more time when I went there. I spent about 70 minutes there but could have used about 90 minutes. Also, it is free. It is well worth the time to see this wonderful museum.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This newly opened museum was a fantastic overall TN educational experience! Lots to see and enjoyed the many benches and short movies to watch along the way. Clean and well done!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a brand new museum and to me was interesting but a bit complicated in its layout and following it was not obvious to me.
There is plenty of room to expand.
The identification of objects was done well and the place was welcoming.
It is free and it is worth at the same time visiting the park behind

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

5 stars and it's not even 100% complete yet! The NEW TN State Museum on Rosa Parks Blvd is fabulous. What they have accomplished makes us proud to be Tennesseans.

It truly is TN from the beginning to the end and done in such a way that it portrays the struggles of the State in the beginning, through the civil war, afterward and up until today with no sugar coating or covering up. It is just all laid out documenting facts.

There are an impressive number of artifacts belonging to a wide array of folks who made a difference in TN along the way. There are also little movies every so often (maybe 4?) that preview the section before you enter, they run continuously with 30 seconds in between. It took us about 4 hours to go through and we read everything and watched all the movies. There is also a children's section on the ground floor when you first enter, we didn't go in, so not sure if there is anything interactive or not for the kiddos but there is not upstairs in the main permanent exhibit.

There are one or two empty slots so we will be back at a later date to see the additions but overall we loved our afternoon here.

The $120 Million, 137,000 sq foot building itself is impressive and the architecture is striking. A stunning addition to Nashville.

Don't forget to walk out onto the overlook to see downtown Nashville from a stunning viewpoint.

Very well done indeed and we highly recommend.

1  Thank WhereToNextThen