All reviews lodge rooms family reunion non profit boat dock the staff was super friendly beautiful lake stayed here center hill holly rockers property lodging kitchenette furnishings accommodations
Reviewed August 17, 2018

We have been looking for a place to stop near I-40 travelling between our Saint Louis home and our summer cabin near Asheville for several years. This quiet unspoiled lakeside setting with newly renovated rooms appointed with regional furnishings was perfect for our needs and taste. The staff was eager to respond to our every request and we were pleased to learn more about The Retreat's mission to care for and empower young adults learning the hospitality industry. We will stop at The Retreat every summer to enjoy its beauty and support its important nonprofit work. The Revs. Gardner/Andrews

Room tip: We enjoyed the porch of our 2nd floor lakefront room.
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2018

Our ladies church retreat was held here. The rooms in the lodge have been updated and are beautiful! The beds are comfortable and the view of the lake from the rooms is breathtaking. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony at night and enjoying the peacefulness of the lake. Great place for family vacations, retreats, family reunions, etc.

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed July 19, 2018

We had our first-ever family reunion and this was a beautiful location. We stayed in the newly remodeled Holly Suites and we were pleased and impressed. The staff was warm, welcoming, and always helpful!

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank lzechmann
Reviewed July 16, 2018

Wonderful retreat for families! A great getaway from the overly crowded public recreation areas. The most pleasant surroundings and just for guests! A place for all ages. The lodge rooms are wonderfully appointed with comfy pillow top mattresses. The kitchenette has all utensils, dishwasher, stovetop, microwave, and full size refrigerator. Enjoyed the pool and covered porches with rockers! Restaurant open only on Friday night through Sunday, but the food is wonderful and plentiful with no out-of-the-can taste! The retreat has a boat ramp for guests, the boat dock has slips for visiting guests' boats, or you can rent locally and the rental company delivers the boat to the dock. When we found out what the non-profit does, we felt great about spending our money there. Definitely will return!

Room tip: add more soap
1  Thank bwslate
Reviewed July 14, 2018

First let me say that the location and rooms were great. I have been to this location many times before prior to it being renovated and sold to new owner and normally book directly with them. This time I was able to get a better rate on Hotels dot com so we took that route. We live in Nashville and I took my daughter who is due in 2 weeks for a short visit before she has her son, mom and daughter mini trip. Upon arrival I was informed I was the first person to book with hotels and informed that there is no alcohol or tobacco allowed on the property. This was unexpected as it was not included anywhere on the hotels website prior to booking and paying. This was an inconvenience as I do smoke, but left the property (had to drive half mile or so) when I wanted to have a cigarette. The main problem was that while I was checking in I was asked for a card for any incidentals such as movie purchases or damages, and I gladly gave my card knowing I would not have any. This is normal procedure with any hotel I have ever stayed at so I did not think twice. They even made a point to tell me that my card would not be charged as I had already paid with hotels. Later that day I received a $250.00 charge on my bank account. When I say "charge" I me that it was literally taken from my account and those funds were not available to me. I assumed it was a mistake as I was their first customer booking with hotels but when I went to the office they told me that was their normal process. If that is the case I should have been informed of that prior to booking or at the least during the time of check in but instead they specifically told me that I would not be charged.
When I spoke to management he told me that it was just a hold and will come off account, I understood what a hold is, and if they had informed me of this policy I would have provided a credit card as to not take funds from my bank account and interfere with the funds we had set aside for entertainment or shopping. In addition to this, we had specifically choose a room with a lake view but instead were put in a room with a parking lot view. This was strange as there were literally no other cars in the parking lot and no other guests that we saw.
It was nice to spend time with my daughter and the location is beautiful, but I would encourage them to be more transparent with policies prior to booking and payment.
This stay was July 13th-14th 2018