“Excellent fried chicken in an otherwise "so so" buffet.”

Carriage House Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 41 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet
Reviewed November 14, 2015

We were looking for lunch on a November Saturday, and many of the places near the park were closed for the season. We decided to try the Carriage House because it had a number of cars in the lot.

The restaurant is big, and is set up to serve a high volume buffet to the hoards of people who come to the park. You can also order of a menu with several sandwiches, and mainstream family meal options. I would guess that most people visit the buffet.

The buffet itself had a decent salad section, 2 meats....fried chicken, meatloaf and ham, and a number of veggies.....green beans, blackeyed peas, greens, boiled potatoes, fried okra, etc, plus rolls. There are 3 or 4 choices for dessert...pudding, chocolate cake, brownies, etc.

The fried chicken was excellent...fresh, hot, crispy and tasty. That is the star of the buffet, and my reason for a 4* rating. The meat loaf was ok, the veggies were ok, but without the chicken I would have given it a 3*

Reviewed November 4, 2015

Had the buffet. American Food staples, chicken, beef, meatloaf, decent salad bar, and a nondescript vegetable soup. It fit the bill for filling me up, burt nothing special.

Reviewed November 3, 2015

We visited this restaurant and had the dinner buffet. OMG it was soooo good. The fried chicken was the absolute best I've had anywhere, ever. You might think that buffet food would taste canned, but this food was more like home-cooked. Even the corn, which at other buffets is plain tasting, was excellent. Well, everything was excellent. The servers were very friendly and attentive. We ended up loving it so much that we went there 2 more times during our week stay in Townsend TN.

Reviewed October 30, 2015

All my trips to Townsend and we've never given the Carriage House a chance, I don't know why! Late day in the Cove so we stopped. Fresh salad bar and a piece of grouper and I was good to go! The server was one of the friendliest servers I've met. The homemade bread for the BLT was really good. The building needs a little upgrading but the food and service could not have been better.

Reviewed October 26, 2015

The restaurant is affiliated with the folks at the Tally Ho Inn next door. The decor is dated but the service was excellent as was the food. We had the buffet and enjoyed it.

Been to Carriage House Restaurant? Share your experiences!