“Window fell out, dirty, horrible management, basically hell”

Scottish Inns Big Spring
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Big Spring
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

Basically me AND my family stayed here for business as we travel for work. When we first got the room it was gross and dirty but I over looked it and cleaned it my self so I dealt with what we had. Not even a day in and we come to the hotel to find the "plastic" window on the ground. Now although the window being on the ground and all of our things inside wasn't a concern enough the manager or owner whoever he is basically was mad at my family for bothering him.......whaaaat. .. then proceeded to come into our room and say he didn't want us there anymore and we needed to leave then refused to give us back our money we had paid up for the week we were in town. Quite disgusting behavior for something that didn't make sense. Beware a good price isn't always the best choice.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

We had an accident on I-20 during snow blizzard and iced roads. My family was traveling in two small vehicles. Car involved in accident was totaled. So we fit 5 in one and 2 of us had to stay in hotel. We chose Scottsdale inn because it was closest and reasonable priced since we had to walk to get there. Owner or person at front desk was rude unfriendly and unhelpful. Didn't answer questions. No breakfast or transportation available. The room was very dirty, small & cramped. The chair and desk were broken, outlets didn't work. Heater didn't work. Bathroom was freezing. You could see outside with big gap between heater unit and wall and also open gap between door frame and wall. It did have a refrigerator and microwave but we didn't use them. So I don't know it'll they worked. The door didn't lock well. It was kinda wobbly. We were hungry, tired, wet and cold. Then after this experience we were angry and scared, because we felt unsafe in that room. We will never stay there again and definitely don't recommend anyone stay there. I would rather walk downtown in another snow blizzard before we stay there. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't exist.

• Stayed: December 2015
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This stay is really about August 2011...I had forgotten to write it. Guess I was trying to forget the overall experience. The reviews in early 2011 made this seem like it was okay since it was so cheap for a quick stopover. They were wrong. We were returning home to Phoenix from Tyler, TX and were trying not to keep my daughter in the car more than 8 hours so we did not drive through to El Paso like we usually do.

We made RESERVATIONS the night before on Expedia. When we arrived in the 100 degree HEAT of July the room we were given didn't have any air turned on. So instead of checking out we turned on the A/C and decided to get dinner so it could cool down. When we returned the room was still too hot...so when my husband went to the front desk to complain...he was given a dusty fan to use. We were tired and had unloaded our stuff so we thought we'd make the best of it. The fact that there are boarded up units and the pool is filled with cement should tell you the owners care nothing about keeping up this motel.

I undressed my 5 year old daughter standing on the bed...since I wouldn't let her feet touch the nasty carpet. I planned to shower at the next hotel. I didn't want to have anything to do with the bathroom. Everything about the place felt dirty. Of course at 2 am when I ended up with food poisoning from the bad mashed potato salad at the barbeque restuarant I had to use the bathroom. I was completely grossed out but too sick to care. The next morning my husband offered to get a nicer hotel in Big Springs and let me recover, I told him to get me out of there.

I guess every road trip needs a story...and this hotel and my food poisoning at the end of our 6,000 mile journey was that story. I'll never forget Big Spring, TX and not for a good reason. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BahamaDreamin
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The overall building is in poor shape, the room is very disgusting. Carpet very dirty and stained, the bathroom tile cracked, the floor felt like you could fall throught it, if you stepped hard enough. The toilet was not bolted in, it was nasty at the base( floor)it looked like old pee. The bedspread was dirty, it had dried blood on it. I'm not sure why Trip Advisor gave it a good review. The pictures that are posted on the web are fake. The rooms do not look like the pictures on the web.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank therakitty70
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I found this motel for my mom and her husband to stay the night while traveling from their home in Arizona to my house in Fort Worth, TX. My daughter and nephew plus 2 small dogs were in tow with them.
This motel was extremely cheap at $45....so I called and talked to "Pretty" to make sure my mom got a clean room. She said no problem and she personally cleans the rooms and she is there everyday 24 hours. I also asked her to put it in the notes on the reservation that they would need extra towels and sheets for makeshift bedding on the floor for my nephew. I also told her they were traveling with dogs....again "no problem". I only called requesting these things because I read a couple un-favorable reviews.
My mom just called me saying they just arrived and were leaving. She said the man at the front desk was EXTREMELY rude. He told them they couldn't have more than 3 towels total and NO dogs allowed. It says on every website, "Pets welcome" for this motel. My mom told him that her son talked to "Pretty" last night and told her all this. He was the owner and Pretty's husband....he said, "No one said anything and NO dogs, you must leave." My mom told him the dogs will stay in their kennels in the car then. Again, "No, you must leave because you have dogs."
The owners are Middle Easterners and evidently he doesn't honor what it says on websites advertising PETS WELCOME! And, he is very rude when dealing with guests.
I guess the price of $45 was TOO good to be true!!
My mom did say that the room appeared clean for the few minutes they were in it.....now they are on the road again and I feel bad for sending them to Scottish Inns in Big Spring, TX.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank TexasToys
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Our room was the last available when I called. We arrived late and tired. By the time we got everything in the room and really looked around it was midnight. We didn't have the energy to repack the car and find another hotel for only six hours of sleep.

The room was very hot and the A/C unit very old and not up to the task. One of the two beds was marginally
acceptable but didn't get to comfortable. The sheets were clean and unstained, unlike the towel (NOTE THE
SINGULAR) which had several stains. I got to dry off
with the second bath mat that I suppose was the
substitute for the other towel. The bathroom was
clean until you looked at the window. The accumulation
of dust and grit on the blind and sill were so thick you
could write your name, wipe it out and still be able to
write it again. The carpet and walls were truly filthy. As for the internet, I couldn't detect it and had to use my iPhone as a hot spot.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Zygatto
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Yes, the bed was clean - I stripped back the sheets to check for bed bugs, and so was the bathroom, but I wouldn't even wear my slippers on the filthy carpet. Surprisingly, they had Free High Speed Internet. It was cheap, and if that's all you can afford, OK, but next time we'll just skip Big Spring altogether and drive a few more hours to a better place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple