“Nice Little German Restaurant”

Little Gretel Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 108 Restaurants in Boerne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2020

Stopped at the Little Gretel Restaurant in Boerne, Tx. For lunch. The place was clean, the service was outstanding, and the food was excellent. I started with a cup of New England Clam Chowder. It had plenty of Clams and potatoes and a nice creamy texture. I wish I had ordered a bowl. I followed the soup with their Gretel’s Schnitzel (“Viennese” Style) which is a Juicy loin-cut pork, breaded Vienna style and oven fried, with homemade Bavarian sauerkraut and fresh spätzle. Washed it all down with an ice-cold Guinness. It was nice sitting on the patio, and while the traffic could be loud, it wasn’t overbearing. Right across the street was the Boerne River Walk which was a nice way to walk off lunch.

1  Thank retphcs
Write a reviewReviews (464)

Reviewed August 13, 2020

We were visiting Boerne and wanted a good breakfast. We met a friend here and it took awhile before our order was taken. Delivery of our food took an extremely long time considering there weren't that many customers. My scrambled eggs were very bland and the toast was dry & cool. My husband did enjoy his Ranchers Breakfast saying the kielbasa was flavorful. Our friend said his denver omelet was good but the toast was cold and "blah". Ww had to flag someone down to get coffee and water refills. I dont know if this was just a fluke or if service is always this bad.

1  Thank Spikette62
LittleGretel, Owner at Little Gretel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2020

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not enjoyable. We are in the midst of training new staff as we have been very understaffed due to COVID. We hope you can understand and we hope you can give us another try in the future. We are a family owned and operated business and put our love and passion in to each day.

Reviewed August 3, 2020 via mobile

Great breakfast. A little out of the ordinary with a Czech/Dutch theme, great omelets, awesome kolachis. But the best part was a relaxed, cool vibe even with the covid precautions. Very enjoyable.

Reviewed July 11, 2020 via mobile

Not sure where they high ratings are coming from. My wife and I had an early dinner here for our anniversary this evening July 11, 2020. The waiter was very green so no bashing him. This is supposedly a bier garten Czech restaurant but they only had 2 of the several beers advertised in the menu. My wife wanted the stuffed pork chop but we were told they were out. We needed more time so while we’re looking over the menu the waiter comes back and says the chef says they do have the pork chop bit it will take 30 minutes to “clean” it. Never heard of cleaning a pork chop. We decided on different choices with side salads. My wife wanted a Caesar salad and I took the house. These are $5 and $4 add on. The croutons on the Caesar salad were soggy and the dressing was horrible. The only good thing was the meals were actually decent. When I finished my beer I started drinking water. On the second or 3rd drink there was a fly floating in my water. When I saw this we were actually talking to another waitress about cuckoo clocks and she saw it the same time as me. She brought me another water but by then we were done. Our waiter shows up while the other waitress is getting the water and I explain to him what had happened. At this Time me all they wanted was us to get our check and leave. No attempt to make it right or anything. I paid the full $73 bill and will never return. This is an example of how to destroy a business!

Date of visit: July 2020
1  Thank 344eddief

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to see NEVER AGAIN. We can assure you that destroying our business is the last thing we want and want all of our customers pleased with their visit. Due to COVID we have struggled since the shut down to get all of our German drafts and specialty imports. Our distributors are unable to get most of what we have been carrying for 11 years. We switched to "german style" Local beers to support locally during this trying time and just recently were able to get a few new beers from Germany! Still are unable to get our favorite Pilsner Urquell from Pilsen...
That night Chef was cleaning a new rack of pork chops. We don't buy frozen or pre cut meat and Chef has to butcher the Pork Chops to get individual pieces we tend to refer that process as "cleaning" the chop and so technically we weren't out but did have to butcher the next rack for service and it does take a bit of time. Our dressings are house made and we are so sorry they didn't taste well we have a lot of compliments on all of our dressings. Very sorry about the fly those critters hit us bad in July. The weather was fly central. We will check with Chef about the croutons they should definitely not be soggy. We wish we could have communicated with you while you were here and we will speak to our servers immediately about communicating these issues with us so we can handle them appropriately.

Reviewed June 27, 2020 via mobile

Two of us had German food and one a Burger. The hamburger was great but the German food poor quality

Date of visit: June 2020