“Exceptional ”

Perini Ranch Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Perini Ranch Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Buffalo Gap
Cuisines: Southwestern, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Perini Ranch does an exceptional job of providing an exciting and pleasing customer experience. The ambiance, waitstaff, and food combine to make your dining experience fun and delicious!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

While competing at the Texas State 4-H Horse Show in Abilene our county group wanted to celebrate a great show with a wonderful meal. We were pointed in the direction of Perini Ranch. With that said, four families piled into a three vehicles and we headed to Buffalo Gap, TX.

When you pull into the property you are greeted by a huge armadillo statue. From there the experience only gets better. While waiting for our table to be set we ventured out to the patio area to enjoy the setting sun and allow the kids to run around. The patio area is quaint and there is plenty of space to allow your kids to stretch their legs or if you do not have kids there is plenty of space to relax and wait for your table. I am pretty sure that you could eat outside, however the temperature was still a little warm at the end of July.

Once we were seated the staff went over the menu and answered our questions. The only disappointment that I had was that they ran out of prime rib. They warned us that they had X cuts left (very popular cut) and it ended up that I was the odd person out on the prime rib. To be fair we got there late due to the need to take care of the horses first.

The ones in our group that got the prime rib were pleased. The rest of group either got the rib eye or fried shrimp. I had the rib eye (medium rare) and it was seasoned/cooked to perfection. Please note that they cook their steaks over wood and that is my favorite way to cook a steak. I did get my hands on the homemade horseradish sauce...yum.

The vegetables are grown either on the property or locally. The salad dressing is homemade (I recommend the Ranch) and the freshness of the salad was apparent. As it pertains to sides we ordered them all. From hominy to mushrooms & onions you could taste the freshness. The favorites were the green beans and potatoes. If you love hominy then I recommend their dish. Not many restaurants serve hominy any more.

I would be remiss in not talking about the appetizers. The batter on the quail legs was light and tasty. Great seasoning and not greasy. The Jalapeno Bites were so good that we had to order a couple additional orders for the table. The waiter did mention that a local group called Disability Resource hand makes the Jalapeno Bites for the restaurant.

We finished our meal by trying the different desserts on the menu. The only one we did not order was the Jalapeno Cheesecake. My favorite was the bread pudding followed by Texas Chocolate cake. A few of the kids ordered the Strawberry Shortcake, however I did not have a chance to try the dessert.

In summary, the experience and quality of food at Perini Ranch rivals the top steak houses in Texas. I did read some of the reviews on the way to the restaurant and the only complaint I saw was that the atmosphere was not that of a high-end steak house. I beg to differ. The atmosphere is what you make of the experience. We saw people from our large group to couples enjoying a romantic dinner. The atmosphere is the type you typically find in small towns in Texas. You can strike up a conversation with locals and/or meet people that have traveled to this restaurant from far away. Great for family or any occasion. We will be back when we are in the area.

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

After being away from Texas almost 25 years, one of the icon items I have missed are the steak houses that usually prides themselves on having the best steaks on the state.

Visiting Abilene on a business trip, my coworkers recommended Perini’s for a pricey but satisfying steak dinner. I quickly agreed to go but reservations were needed to go. We were able to make a reservation two days later, but no worries it was worth the wait. Old ranch house charm surrounded both inside and outside the establishment gave it a thumbs up on the culture scale.
Next is the very friendly and customer oriented wait staff greeting us and settling us in a booth to get ready for the server. Great smiles and true to the Texas hospitality scale, another thumbs up!

Now for the mouth watering part! I opted for the 16 Oz ribeye but I think the scale was broken, it seemed like 1 1/2 lbs by the time I finished eating. Medium rare is how I like my steak and Med rare it was with outstanding seasoning to make it every bite just as tasting as the first.
Side I had the jalapeño poppers, cream cheese filled jalapeño’s wrap in bacon deep fried! Man, those are the best appetizers I had in a while. Top that off with a salad covered in ranch and you have one of the best meals in the Abilene area!

Great job on food, service, and cowboy atmosphere.

1  Thank Andre C
Reviewed July 22, 2018

Love the atmosphere and the food at Perini Ranch Steakhouse. Sunday bruch is amazing. Good for family, not stuffy so kids can enjoy as well!

Reviewed July 19, 2018

This was my second visit to Perini Ranch Steakhouse. My son was visiting and we wanted to eat at a special place. It is an 90 minute drive from my town but the experience and food was worth it. The ribeye was excellent. It was seasoned cooked to perfection. The quail legs were a good appetizer. I love the green chili hominy. I have the cookbook and hope to cook it at home.
Great service, great food!

Been to Perini Ranch Steakhouse? Share your experiences!