All reviews tiny bathroom nice staff apartment ferry furniture sweden
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

I've spent the summer's of my childhood on the Koster islands in my parent's boat, and figured I'd take my husband with me back here for a night. This was my (our) first time at this hotel, a property we've heard so many good things about. We've just checked out, and I must say I'm disappointed. Especially considering the price we payed. We had a apartment suite with a full ocean view from our balcony, one of their best rooms and it really needs some TLC. We payed SEK 2295,-, and it was not worth it. I mean, the balcony had wonderful views, the size of the room was very good (can easily fit a family of four), but the furniture was obviously cheap, partly damaged and every piece of cloth (curtains, sofas, towels, etc) had stains on them. The corners of the room were dirty, and the bathroom had only two small light bulbs over the sink, nothing else. It was the darkest bathroom I've ever been in (I spend about 30-60 nights at hotels every year), and the lights went off every now and then, needed a little tap to get back on...

However, the worst part of the experience was, unfortunately, the morning sun. Don't get me wrong, I love waking up to a striking and warming sun, the sounds of sea gulls and the ocean, but I also like to breath... There are only regular curtains in the bedroom, nothing to keep the warmth and light out. Even though we slept with the window wide open, the sun heated the room so much we could hardly breath from about 5 in the morning... I talked to the receptionist about this upon check out, she told me this was a known problem, but also that the hotel management hadn't figured out what to do yet... Well, how about putting in a simple fan in the meantime?? At the price you're charging, one should expect to get a good night's rest and sleep. The receptionist also told me that I'd gotten a special rate, well, the web site didn't say so when I made the reservation... This was the full asking price. According to her, I should've payed SEK 2900,-. Let me just tell you, I wouldn't have. She also said that the popularity of the islands press the prices up, and I see that as a point, but the price payed should also reflect on the product that is sold...

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant last night, and was very happy with that (payed about SEK 700 for two steak dinners and several beverages), but the included breakfast this morning was disappointing as well. It had the basics, but nothing more... Would've liked some fresh fruits and more choices in bread...

I have to say that the people working there were delightful, polite and welcoming, especially the young woman in the restaurant last night. But the fact that the receptionist was not willing to give me a partial refund at check out, when we had the discomforts we had (that they knew about before our arrival), was disappointing as well. Poor guest service. Obviously I didn't mind paying the price, but I expected, at the very least, a good nights sleep!

Since we had one of their best rooms, with the experience I've described here, we won't be returning any time soon. They need to put in a bit of effort to charge these prices... Our stay should've been comfortable, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Also, they say the best way to see the islands is by bicycle. You can rent those right from the hotel, or from another company down the street. The hotel charges SEK 179,- per day, the place down the street from SEK 150,-. Note that the price is the same no matter when you get your bike during the day, and you have to return it within the evening. The bikes are basic, most without gears, and quite heavy to thread. The first one I got had no brakes... As a side note, my husband and I agreed that hotel guests should be able to borrow bikes, as we already pay good money to stay. They could charge a deposit, to ensure the bikes are returned...

All in all, I'm sad to have had this experience in the islands of my childhood memories, and hope to come back next year, but I'll bring my tent for that....

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Amazing location! Super friendly staff.
The room was super nice and cosy, I loved the deco.
The views from the outdoor bar are amazing.
Great for a family stay, you can use one of the bikes outside the hotel to ride around the island.
Also great for couples, we enjoyed the live music and it was superb.
Love the breakfast nice variety and very good quality. Free WiFi
Definitely recommend this hotel it’s a 5 star for us!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Isabelle A, Receptionist at Hotel Ekenas Koster, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed June 22, 2018 via mobile

Hotell Koster is the central place to be when visiting Koster as a tourist, being the largest hotel situated at the most developed boat harbour of the South Koster island.

Both the hotel restaurant and nearby Restaurant Rökeriet offers great local as well as international food. The hotel itself consists of the main building dating from early 20th century main house and a more modern apartment complex.

Outside main season the prices are a bargain, in season (end June to mid August) it is on the more expensive side. Bicycles and golf carts can be rented at the premise. The hotel breakfast is amazing including pancakes, cooked and candy for children and the young at heart, it has a decent bar and the staff is very servicable and accomodating.

Either for staying for a night, eating at the outdoor part of the restaurant or visiting the adjacent Pellé sailwear shop, Hotell Koster is not to be missed.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2018

By a mistake we where ordering one single room with bathroom in the old complex at first without knowing exactly what we`re getting ,what a mistake!
1 st floor, no view, probably enough comfort for some ,hard bed,tiny bathroom,absolutely no sea view, actually no view at all, exept from other guests walking by.The rooms where newly restored into a sea theme but absolutely missing the cosy atmosphere without the view.
Re booked a suite in the newbuild complex ,WHAT!! a change, have to wait 2 hours for the suite to be ready,but this was worth all this time waiting
Full kitchen facilities,dining place,living room area,terrace with A LOT of ocean view,and wonderful beds in main sleeping room,2 sofa beds placed in main living space total place for 4 persons,1 bathroom with shower and Wc
Good normal continental breakfast at the old hotel
The area is ideel start point for walking trips to east and west on the Koster islands not far away from anything if you like this costal atmospheres like this,best of all: nearly no cars, only moped and el vehicles,ideel for bicyckling around the area
Ive been there several times on daytrips, and will for sure return for more breathtaking costal relaxing atmosphere.
About a 1/2 hour boattrip from main land Strømstad

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank crazycooler
Reviewed August 8, 2017

+ Beautiful location, great views
+ Delicious food (wedding)
+ Friendly service
+ Koster National park
+ Outdoor activities - running, jogging, cycling, snorkling, sailing etc.
+ Comfortable rooms
- Pricey

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Isabelle A, Bokningskordinator at Hotel Ekenas Koster, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2018

Thank you for your friendly feedback!
Wish you a good day.