“Interesting if you are visiting”

George Bush Presidential Library and Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: The George Bush Presidential Library and Museum is a research institution and academic environment dedicated to the preservation, research and exhibit of official records, personal papers and memorabilia from the life and career of George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States, with more than 43 million pages of official and personal papers, 2 million photos, 2,500 hours of videotape and 100,000 museum objects. Covering much of U.S. history since 1941, the library and museum features a World War II Avenger Torpedo Bomber, a 1947 Studebaker, a piece of the Berlin Wall, and precise replicas of President Bush's Oval Office, Camp David office and White House Situation Room. The museum also features a temporary exhibit gallery which lends to an ever-changing museum to visit. Museum hours are Monday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m.; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
College Station, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Interesting if you are visiting”
Reviewed 4 April 2007

I doubt George H.W. Bush is the most memorable of presidents and I suppose that may account for a certain paucity to the exhibits on his life but what is there is well-thought out and presented. There is an Avenger aircraft, a large scale model of his auxillary carrier, a mockup of his office, gits he received from foreign dignitaries and a lot more. If you do not like the former president, you may still find something of interest. There is an additional portion of the museum with constantly changing exhibits. It is worthwhile to check the museum's website to see what is there at the moment. There are also special events including a nice fireworks celebration on July 4th. The grounds provide some lovely walks and if you are energetic, you can walk to the Texas A & M campus. There is a nice gift shop, an admission counter for the interior of the museum not including the gift shop and the atrium, and a metal detector at the entrance. There is little enough to visit in College Station so if you are there, take a look.

2 Thank DanaZ

Huntsville, Alabama
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed 13 August 2005

My husband (a political junkie) and I were in College Station to tour the town and Texas A & M. This museum was the highlight of our trip; very well thought out and extremely interesting and educational. We spent almost 3 hours here and enjoyed every minute. It really gave me insight into George Bush the man, the Bush family values, and his place in history. I'm not much into politics or current events, but the way in which this museum was organized really brought things to life and gave a good perspective on what George Bush's life has been about. I recommend it for anyone with even a little curiosity about U.S. history and current events. Plus, the air conditioning is wonderful! It's a great escape from that Texas heat!
P.S. Don't miss the bronze horses outside.

6 Thank Angie F
Texarkana Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wonderful Attraction”
Reviewed 22 July 2005

On our way back from Austin, we side stepped into College Station to stop at the George Bush Presidential Library. Neither my husband nor I are political in nature and were hesitant to take the kids to what may be a "boring" museum.....thankfully we stopped. We were amazed at the sheer amount of creativity and planning that went into making this museum. I came away with knowledge I did not have on subject matter related to the term of George Bush. The displays were awesome. My kids (age 4 and 8) were enthralled with the Capital replica, the berlin wall , the plane and so much else. We will visit other presidential libraries based on the enjoyment of this one. We spent two hours inside and the time flew by. Our kids never once asked "can we go now?"....a win, win for all

6 Thank Fullogratitude
Texas
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 252 helpful votes
“A Good Way to Spend an Afternoon”
Reviewed 15 March 2005

On my first trip to the George Bush museum I was a little hesitant. You see, I'm a Democrat originally from the Northeast. I was expecting the museum to be a "look at how great I am" type of thing. To some extent that's what it is....but it is also a very good art and cultural museum. The temporary exhibit gallery regularly hosts very good exhibitions. For example they have had a chinese art exhibit, an exhibit on artistic cowboy boots (actually quite interesting), and American landscapes. They also host a classic film series, as well as fireworks on the Fourth of July. If you're in the College Station area, it's definitely worth-while.

While you're on campus at A&M you may also want to visit the Stark Gallery (fine arts) in the Memorial Student Center.

5 Thank Shutter_Bug
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Beorge Bush Presidential Library and Museum is Awesome!!!”
Reviewed 5 July 2003

My husband and I have just returned from a trip into Texas. Our destination was San Antonio; however, on the way we spent a night in College Station and before departing in the morning decided to visit the Bush Presidential Library and Museum located on the campus of Texas A&M. What a wonderful experience that was!!! Not only is their interesting information on the entire Bush family but there are also exhibits that explain our nation's participation in World War II, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the simultaneous end of the Cold War, and the War in Iraq that ended in the freedom of Kuwait. You will marvel at the beauty of the Kuwaiti gates that were a gift from that government in appreciation for our coming to their aid. You will absolutely love being in a replica of Air Force One. There are gorgeous gifts from various heads of state, beautiful gowns worn by Barbara Bush, and a room designed just for laughter as you watch snippets of various talkshow hosts interviewing both President and Mrs. Bush. There are pictures of Millie and her puppies as they romp with President Bush on the White House grounds, as well as a family portrait taken recently on the coast of Maine. Absolutely delightful!!! A must see for everyone!!!

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member