“Great Tapas & Cocktails!”
Review of The Bench

The Bench
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Mersham
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Description: An innovative Wine Bar and Tapas restaurant, with up to 48 wines by the glass!
Reviewed September 26, 2016

Something different in Ashford. Food is fresh and really tasty, staff is friendly, and the place is nicely done. Will go back.

Reviewed September 25, 2016

Been twice, first time the service was average but they did not know how to serve tapas in the traditional manner. Went agan in the vain hope it had improved and it was worse. Order food at 2030 and at 2200 ask them to cancel my chicken paella having asked 4 times where it was. Yhe other tapas orders came in dribs and drabs and so the meal was fractured and food went cold. Service was very slow, poor and our waiter did not bother to check if everything was okay. To make matters worse the staff tried to justify why there were delays and why the food was delievered at different times. The individual in charge then arrived to question why I had camce;ed my meal as if it was my fault. Found his attitude very brusque. To add insult we were placed right by the toilets so the waft of lavatory with our meal was hardly ideal. This restaurant is poor at best and I would love to see others with similar experiences write in so that something is done. DO NOT GO YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

2  Thank arh60
Reviewed September 25, 2016

This was my second visit to Bench. In all honesty I wasn't over impressed the first time I went but always think things are worthy of a second try. The good things are that this is an excellent location, the place is decorated nicely, the wine/drinks menu is excellent - lovely selection of different gins to try. The food when it comes is good but it's the service that is the issue.

Last night there were 8 of us. Whilst this is billed as a tapas bar, the whole point of tapas is that the little dishes come out and you can all share amongst you. This can't happen if things come out very slowly in dribs and drabs and by the time some of your dishes arrive, the others are cold. One dish was completely forgotten! We tried to hurry them up on several occasions and at the end when it was too late to wait any longer the head waiter (presume he was the head waiter?) actually was arguing with us when we voiced our concerns and complaints. He just kept referring to "company policy" for how the food is sent to the table. Even a salad turned up late!

It's a shame as Ashford desperately needs somewhere like this and it has the potential to be great but they seriously need to sort out their customer service. As I said, when it arrives the food is delicious but people will get fed up if having to wait and then having to complain. It takes the pleasure out of a meal out especially if you are with friends as it puts a dampener on the evening. I'm not sure I'll be back.

1  Thank Clash46
Reviewed September 16, 2016

Went on a Tuesday night and was very pleasantly surprised. The tapas was all freshly prepared and excellent quality. The wine choice was good and their "by the glass" facility is a nice extra touch. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

Always looking for somewhere different to have a bite to eat and this place was really unusual.

What a brilliant idea with the wines, self serve and the opportunity to try as many as you like - you can rack up a hefty bill so beware.

Tapas were tasty - well worth a try.