“Great Catfish”
Review of Pinch The Tails

Pinch The Tails
Ranked #1,237 of 3,937 Restaurants in Dallas
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Description: At Pinch The Tails, we specialized in seafood & crawfish boil. We have a wide variety of beer, wine & sprits. Casual & fun dining/bar experience.
Reviewed February 24, 2017

The catfish was very, very good. It tasted like it was Mississippi pond raised catfish. It had that very fresh flavor. Nothing frozen about it. The chef said it was Mississippi pond raised. It was fried in a very tasty cornmeal, and served piping hot (like I like it.) The fries were ok. Shrimp cocktail had avocado chunks and cilantro. I highly recommend it. I thought the cocktail sauce could have used a lot more horseradish. But everyone doesn't like super hot food as much as I do. I put some cocktail sauce and ketchup on my catfish just to see whet it tasted like. It definitely was not needed. I had a peach margarita. It was HUGE and delicious. Somehow I managed to eat the brownie and ice cream for dessert, also very good. The brownie was rich and very chocolaty. The only thing missing was a few nuts. My friend said his cheesecake was very good except he didn't like the raspberry sauce. I tasted it. It was fine to me. We gave the food a two thumbs up. Service was also very good.

Reviewed November 16, 2016 via mobile

This place is good at boiled shellfish. The fried oysters were from a pre bought bag. It was horrible. The owners were nice but the fried food was bad. Doesn't feel fresh there.

1  Thank cabotravelor
Reviewed November 4, 2016

My wife and I decided we were in the mood for shellfish tonight so we ordered food to-go from Pinch the Tails. It was our first foray to this local eatery. Never again. She had crawfish etoufee and I had an oyster po boy. We are both very familiar with, and love these Nawlins' entrees. These were, in a word, terrible. "Wow, this is pathetic", Cheryl said when she opened the to-go container and discovered a total of five little crawfish in a soup-like broth. The fried oysters in my po boy were rather suspect and I am hoping that I do not regret this further later tonight. Nothing tasted good nor very fresh. And the bread was not even close to a traditional NOLA po boy's. What can I say? The dining area was very empty, the owner made a valiant effort to chat us up at the door but it looks to me like a restaurant in the classic death spiral where lack of customers leads to lack of profits leads to cutting corners on the food to further lack of customers and so on. Buyers beware.

2  Thank drpaulDallas
Reviewed October 26, 2016 via mobile

Nice clean place & amazing service. A bit on the higher end, price wise. For what we paid on a pound of king crab legs@ other places it would have come with some sort of side. @ least I would think with a price of $25.98 but it might just be me. Kids meal start at $7.99. A pound of oysters is $18.95. The sauce of the king crabs was delicious. Oysters were also bigger than norm & good. The boudin sausage link was extremely good & spicy. So wish they would make them as boudin balls bcs this is the 1st place that makes delicious boudin. Everything tasted fresh. The kids catfish basket was nothing out of the norm. The hush puppies were not good @ all. Our server took them back to make more crunchy bcs the inside was 2 mushy. Did not help so in my opinion don't order them. Heck long john's r way better. Server was attentive & helpful. Honestly with those prices. We r better off @ Joe's Crab Shack or Pappadeaux's. U just get more for your money but then again. I guess we can come back during lunch & see if they offer lower prices.

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

We had a last minute family birthday outing and decided to give Pinch The Tail a try. A native Louisianan, I'm always looking for great seafood. I tried the boiled shrimp and was hooked. The waiter explained the choice of seasonings and I went for the trio. It was a combination of lemon pepper, Cajun, and garlic butter. The shrimp were AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS. I really enjoyed them. I also ordered the catfish po'boy, but I wasn't a fan. I should have just stayed with the shrimp. The po'boy was dressed with cole slaw instead of the usual shredded lettuce, tomato and mayo or tarter sauce. Plus there was only one skimpy piece of fish on a $8 sandwich. Not worth it.
But if you go, you must try the boiled shrimp or any other boiled treats.

Been to Pinch The Tails? Share your experiences!