“Cheerful Service”

Ranked #102 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Houston, Texas
“Cheerful Service”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My family and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel while attending a conference in Dallas. I was greeted cheerfully at reception when we arrived, and when they noticed we were travelling with young children, they gave us a unit away from the main expressway. The rooms were clean when we arrived, and were kept clean throughout our stay. The cleaning lady left a personal greeting for when we arrived, and left additional personal notes during our stay. She also cleaned dirty dishes that we left in the sink. The front staff provided us with a couple of services for free, when they very well could have charged us. We would definitely stay here again if we were to travel to Dallas in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My stay was comfortable and quiet. The hotel property is set up like an apartment complex. Parking isn't the greatest, it is first come first serve and you could be quite far from your room. This is not the best area. You will be right off the highway and not close to decent places to eat. However, there is a grocery and pharmacy a stones throw away. The rooms are small for suites, not normally what I've seen in a Residence Inn property. They look very nice when you first enter, it is only after opening the curtains and taking a good look that you do realize there is a lot of wear and tear.

The staff was excellent and met every need. The breakfast bar in the morning had much more than what you would expect. Also, the managers special at night was a meal in itself. These two things alone were welcomed since the weather was icy and going out wasn't a fun alternative.

I didn't use housekeeping as I only stayed two nights, and I never visited the laundry.

All in all, yes the place could use a little work, but for the price and the things that did go right I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again or to recommend it to my business partners.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Mona60
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I was booked into this property - along with other colleagues - for a consulting project, and was unfortunate enough to stay there for several weeks.

The property is not in a scenic spot, though it does have the asset of being in a relatively convenient area, as it is within a short drive to area shopping and other attractions.

That being said, the whole lodging experience was a nightmare. The rooms were horribly filthy and incredibly small to truly be suites. One of my colleagues had a significant silverfish infestation, and the staff refused to move her to a different room, much less resolve the infestation. Others of us battled roaches and/or fire ants. The furniture, fixtures, and appliances were all in poor shape - if not outright broken. I personally became known as "Mr. Fix-It", because I had several things break or fall off (such as the sliding door between the living area and bedroom) and was left to repair them myself, again because of staff indifference. Though these were billed as non-smoking suites, it was obvious from the strong residual odors on the furniture that smoking had occurred in the suites.
The walls were also very thin, so noise from other rooms and outside were impossible to ignore.

The property as a whole were equally filthy and in poor working condition. The laundry facilities were so dirty that there was little confidence that you were actually getting your clothes clean. The on-site pool facility was closed for the duration of our stay, though from appearances, I doubt any of us would have used it.

As with other Residence Inn properties, there was a free breakfast service. But the food quality was terrible; the hot items were frequently lukewarm to cold and poor-tasting, and other items looked or tasted spoiled.

The staff from management on down was horrendous. There was only one of the front desk staff - a nice lady named Betty - who actually seemed to care and who tried her best to make things right despite the circumstances. Beyond that, there was a complete and thorough lack of caring, responsiveness, or general customer service. The housekeeping staff did their jobs poorly, and several of us dealt with theft issues that we could only track to that staff. When - either individually or via our firm's owner - tried to resolve our many issues with the property management, we were largely ignored or otherwise told that nothing was wrong with their facility.

After about six weeks, we all moved to another competing property about a mile away, which turned out to be an eminently better lodging experience than this property. We later learned that this Residence Inn served as temporary lodging for refugees from Hurricane Katrina. While that may have explained some of the disrepair, it was certainly no excuse for not making any strides towards resolving them or making right by their existing guests.

Even being over a year removed from this lodging experience, I continue to be stunned at just how poor this facility was. As a Marriott Rewards member and frequent traveler, this was unquestionably the worst Marriott property I had ever been at. I am amazed that Marriott would even tolerate the condition of this property and would continue to have its banner on it. It is a detriment to their reputation for quality lodging.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, maintenance, security, and service
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Generic90
Brad C, General Manager at Residence Inn Dallas Central Expressway, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Please accept my apology for the impressions that you received while at our property. At Residence Inn Central Expressway we consider safety and comfort a very serious matter. Every effort is made to ensure that our guests can see our security measures. I personally followed up with the valuable information you conveyed regarding ants. The information you provided was important and we addressed it immediately. Thank you for letting us know. We look forward to welcoming you when you return to Dallas. Have a great day.
Brad Carroll, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Dallas hotels

Hudson Valley
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Stayed here for 2 weeks. The room was very clean, though slightly worn in spots. The staff was excellent.

The free breakfast was excellent, with a friendly staff.

Right off the highway, so not a scenic spot, but convenient to most areas around Dallas.

One thing I didn't like was in my room/suite, the TV could not be seen from the bed.

• Stayed November 2007
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 January 2008

I've had to stay in this area of Dallas 8 separate times over the past 6 months. After trying three other hotels, I've thankfully settled on the Residence Inn. It was exactly what I needed as a business traveler. Pros: Clean rooms. Consistent each time I stayed there (now 4 times in a row). Friendly employees. Slightly better than average hotel breakfast food selection. Cons: Slower than average free internet. No wifi in rooms, short ethernet cable provided, only one ethernet outlet in a two bedroom suite. I stayed in a third floor / top floor room and heard birds landing and taking off all night long. I'd like the hotel to install some type of anti-bird landing devices before I stay in a top floor room again.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No Wifi in Rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
Las Cruces,NM
Reviewed 5 December 2007

Stayed at the Residence Inn and it has a nice homey feel to it. I stayed at a 1 bedroom suite with balcony, a full kitchen and maid service. Rooms are clean and well maintained.Good for a families and business traveler. Currently undergoing renovations but did not hear any noise at all. Front desk are very helpful and friendly. Close to Presbyterian Hospital, the mall and restaurants. They have a free internet service at the lobby in case you need to print your boarding passes and browse the internet. Hot breakfast is served at the lobby from 7-10 am on weekends. Very accessible to US 75. A 30 min drive to DFW or less depending on traffic.

• Liked — The cleanliness and amenities of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
Plover, WI
Reviewed 3 August 2005

I would respectfully disagree with the prior reviewer. I travel to Dallas several times a year on business and always stay here whenever possible. The rooms are the usual Residence Inn quality--spacious and "homey." I have never heard any freeway noise at all. Most all Units do not face the Central X-way and are set back--noise was not an issue. I have never had an issue with mattress or pillows either.

The location is great. Not far off the LBJ freeway with easy access to almost anywhere in the metroplex.

I will stay here in the future and would definately recommend.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business