“Afternoon Tea and Dinner in the French Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #17 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Mill Creek, Washington
“Afternoon Tea and Dinner in the French Room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We went for a family celebration. We had afternoon tea and it was truly wonderful. We were served a tea of our choosing and had delightful cookies, etc,. At dinner we ate in the French Room and it was also delicious. The hotel was gracious and beautiful and the accommodations were superb. I would highly recommend this hotel for special occasions.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karyn_D680

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

After spending 3 days at the Adolphus, I debated back and forth about 4 or 5 stars. If I could give them 4.5 stars, I would. I finally settled on 5 because I really enjoyed my stay, in spite of a number of minor issues that pointed to a lack of adequate staffing that could easily be addressed.

Minor issues? Trash on the lobby of my floor that was never picked up in 3 days. No remote for the VCR in the room that took a day to get replaced. Long valet pickup times. Left my room at 1PM and by 8PM it was still not cleaned--the maid was on my floor and admitted to me that there was not enough staff and apologized. No notepads or pens in the room (they came the 2nd day). The concierge was MIA a lot--at least half the time I came in and out of the lobby.

All these minor things could easily be solved by more staff and/or more management oversight. I can tell you the restaurants (I ate at all 3 of them) had plenty of staff and service was great; whoever is managing the food and beverage is doing a great job.

On the positive side, the hotel has a wonderful lobby and a great staff, and I thoroughly enjoyed my room. The location is great, the food and services are great, and I would definitely stay there again. They just need to step it up a bit.

2 Thank tripwarden
granbury, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I were staying overnight in Dallas to attend a concert at Gexa Energy Pavilion. The Adolphus is a wonderful location and convenient for any event near downtown Dallas. In addition it is a short walk to many Dallas restaurants.
Check in at the hotel was as easy as I have ever experienced. I went inside to check in while my husband took care of turning our car over to the valet parking. He and I were both on the way to our room within minutes of arrival. The lobby area was very "old world" and would have been a fun place to sit and people watch if we had the time to kill. Our room was very comfortable, clean, and tastefully decorated, but was nothing extraordinary. My only complaint was that there was only one bath towel and it was a bit flimsy...... not the thick fluffy towels I would have expected at the Adolphus. When I called housekeeping and requested additional towels, they were delivered more quickly than I have ever experienced. The staff at the Adolphus was the most pleasant and attentive that I have seen in any hotel. Any employee was ready to assist at any time. I was especially impressed with the gentleman working the valet parking in the evening. Every time we went in or out, he remembered us and welcomed us back. In the morning we ate breakfast at the Bistro. Our waitress, Petra, was "The Best". She was pleasant, efficient, and made sure that we needed nothing. As a bonus to the wonderful service, we thoroughly enjoyed the Crabmeat Eggs Benedict, and the Texas Scramble. Our stay at the Adolphus was a real treat!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nanski3
winters
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Overall stay the Adlophus was great and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very beautiful and well kept. We stayed in a room with a King size bed with plenty of room and it was very nice and the bed was very comfortable and the view was great. I liked that it was close to many attractions downtown just walking distance. If I have another stay in Dallas I would stay here again. :)

3 Thank judy d
New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Likes: lobby decor and acht. Fitness club, on site dining options. Dislike: cleanliness of room, valet parking responsiveness at early AM departure.
I also like that I could pay 75 bucks via hotels.com but the valet parking is 26$ plus the tipping. Way too much dust in the corners of my room, carpets are way past due and the bathrooms are very dated. Lobby is amazing, so many chairs and nooks to relax and lounge, work, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for exterior view to street. For a big city, the down town is somewhat quiet at night and in the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ray L
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I was concerned when I read some negative reviews, but I had the best overall experience at this hotel. The staff was great and willing to make every request happen. The hotel was beautiful with the old style mahogany and brass fixtures. The room was gorgeous, although it didn't have a good view, but really- how much time do you spend inside a hotel room looking out the window? I would definitely come here again, and I hope that next time I am able to give the French Room a try!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and balanced review. The vast majority of guests who stay with us do, indeed, share your opinion. As with any business that has thousands of patrons, we will stumble occasionally. The world is not perfect and neither are we. But, as you found, our staff has heart and truly wants to make each guest's stay truly exceptional. More often than not, they succeed brilliantly.

Please do come back and experience The French Room at The Adolphus. It is well worth the trip.

Warm regards,

David
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Let me start by saying, the staff were nice enough. Not the most attentive and certainly not the quickest to respond to complaints, but not terrible either. That leads me to my complaints...

This historic hotel was lovely, and I love this type of place when they are renovated correctly. When we got to our room, it was spacious and ok, though you could definitively tell it was old and in need of renovation. Nothing special. The furniture in the sitting area was dirty looking. So much so, I didn't sit on it. The air unit was loud and did not do a good job of keeping the room temperature nice. I set it below 68 just to try to get the room cooled down, and it never did.

The entry light was out, so I called the front desk at about 1:30pm and asked them to fix it. When we got back to our room that night at about 10:30 p.m. it still wasn't fixed. I called again and this time a guy came up in about 20 minutes. He replaced the bulb and told us we had to make sure the switch on a lamp and beside the bed were also on, for the switch at the front door to work. Seriously? The next morning, no matter what switches we used, the light wouldn't work again. It's just ridiculous to have that issue in a hotel that is supposed to be this nice. How hard is it to make the entry switch turn on the entry light?

Next, on to missing things... It may sound silly, but there was no trash can in the bathroom. What hotel doesn't put a trash can in the bathroom? Also, no blow dryer. I usually bring my own blow dryer, because I prefer it, but didn't on this trip. I've never been in a hotel that didn't have one, so I didn't even think about it. Instead, there was a phone where the blow dryer should be. What?

There is no vending in the hotel. That's right, if you get thirsty you have to order room service or buy a hugely overpriced soda or water from your in-room refreshment center. They give you prices for these refreshments, which are outrageous, and then in fine print at the bottom tell you that on top of that already outrageous price, they will charge you a 20% restocking fee. These were the worse prices I have ever seen in any hotel, hands down!

Valet parking was pretty slow to get your car for you, no matter if you call down in advance or not, and it was not cheap! Thank goodness we had a deal on our room which included that, or I would have been unhappy to pay $26 to park. In their defense, that price is about average for valet, but usually, you are offered a self-park option as well. Not so here.

All that being said, it wasn't a terrible experience, just one that I will not repeat. There are much nicer hotels in the area, for about the same price as the Adolphus. I suggest you get one of those, and walk over and enjoy the oldness of the Adolphus for free, without having to purchase a room. You'll thank me later.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your insight and value your opinion. Please accept our apologies for failing to meet your expectations. Our management will use your feedback to guide their improvements.

Thank you.