“A real Flower of a Theatre”
Review of Magnolia Theatre

Magnolia Theatre
Ranked #10 of 42 Fun & Games in Dallas
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Magnolia runs some of the best movies in town. It is always a pleasure to take in a show here. After the movie, restaurants are just outside the door. You can watch a movie and enjoy your dinner without spending lots of $$.

All reviews
"matinee"
in 5 reviews
"viewing"

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been to this theater many times, as I live in the area. The review written by jessicadean does a good job of describing what to expect when you go there. We often get gelato at Paciugo before watching a movie.

The only thing I would add is that this theater has a feel of being very adult. Not as in "Rated R", just that I feel like I need to be in a mature mood (not a silly mood) if I am going to watch a movie there. I would probably not bring children to this theater, and I usually make sure I am wearing my nicest casual clothes when I go. I don't know what the official policy is, and I have never had anyone be rude to me when I was silly or underdressed. But the vibe I get when I am in this theater leaves me feeling that I should do these things as a matter of honor and respect to whomever might be there on their one date away from their children this week.

Having said that, I love watching movies at this theater! I just make sure I match the theater to my mood, and go to a different theater when I am feeling silly. The seats are comfortable, and I successfully get immersed in whatever movie I am there to see, rather than being distracted by any sound or picture issues (like I do at a lower quality theater). The price for tickets is about the same as I would pay at any major-brand movie theater in the nearest 10 miles (going North or East).

The seats are arranged in "Theater Seating" (also called "Stadium Seating"), with each row a step higher than the one in front of it, so that everyone has a good view of the screen. There are some rows of seats in the front that are on flat ground, so they do not require steps, and an empty space for wheelchairs in the first row of the sloped seats. (This distance should offer a good view of the screen, rather than being too close or too far away.)

Accessibility Note: The box office is on the first floor, with all of the movies shown on the second floor. There is an escalator to get up, and stairs to get back down; or you can ride in the large elevator, so it is wheelchair accessible. Park in the large parking garage in the center of West Village, which also has elevators on all but the top floor.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Comfortable theater. pricey concession stand. a little off the wall movies are shown here. nice restaurants in the area.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The theater plays some mainstream movies but also independent films. You can also get a beer, wine or drink (they cost too much but it is still a nice option). The location is also great. Next to Pacugo so you can start out with some ice cream. It is also surrounded by good restaurants and the most lively part of Dallas.

1  Thank jessicadean