“New Remodel, Now Bad Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
Ranked #58 of 198 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“New Remodel, Now Bad Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Where to begin? Clearly this hotel needed a facelift, but what happened to the professional and polite staff? All gone. The front desk leaves so much to be desired, including one girl who used two different names - depending on what phone she was answering?? Very dimissive in their attitudes. Got to my room and tried to order room service. After no one answered the phone in dining (15 minutes of trying), I called the front desk. I explained to the man who answered that I was not able to reach anyone. He didn't ask me to hold, and didn't even put me on hold. He just put the phone down. I then listened to him talk to his co-worker about his previous weekend for about 5 minutes. He then picked up the ohone and apologized for putting me on hold. He said he was having to help a customer with a key issue. Great. Now you are lying to me. Finally received my dinner 50 minutes later (they said it would be no more than 30), and it was cold. No chance of me calling the clown at the front desk again. I stayed there 3 nights. It did not get any better.

By the way - you now have to pay $10/night for the parking. Nope - not valet. No valet available. You actually HAVE to pay to park there - no free parking anywhere. It is the same uncovered -poorly lit and around the corner parking they had before, but now you have the opportunity to wrestle with a parking gate meter everytime you want to come and go - and pay for it, as well. Rip off. I would gladly pay $10.00 or more a night for valet, but this is ridiculous. When I told the front desk that I really wasn't happy with it, and that I would pay more for valet....she laughed and said "Really?? Wow. That's funny" . Apparently she has a strange sense of humor.

If it weren't for the fact that my company books my reservations, I would avoid this hotel at all costs. Every hotel has about the same beds...food....whatever. If you can't get the service right, forget it.

- Hope To Never Stay There Again

Room Tip: Don't waste your money staying here and if you must, remember to add $10.00 per night for parki...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MLMD11
Thomas E, General Manager at Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
I would like to take a moment to thank you for commenting on your recent stay at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria. In regards to the service related opportunities I would like to personally apologize and assure you that we have addressed these concerns with our team. Feedback such as yours allows us to improve our customer service. If you are travelling to the Dallas area again in the future I hope that you will reconsider the Sheraton Dallas North.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton for 4 nights, two of which were during the week and two during the weekend. My issues with my stay were not really under the control of the hotel staff, but they could have done more. During my friday and saturday night stay, my floor had a huge group of frat boys and sorority girls that were ridiculously noisy. When they arrived around 7 p.m. I knew I was in trouble, because I had an adjoining room I could hear everything in the next room. I went to the front desk to try and get my room moved but no luck since they were booked. I asked for earplugs at the very least, but they didn't have anything. Fell asleep okay, but around 2:30 a.m. to 4 a.m. they were loud and yelling in the hallway, I even called down at 3 a.m. to tell management, apparently a manager came through because I heard one of the kids yelling "the manager just came by!" Thankfully when I went down to the front desk the next morning they were able to move me up to a higher floor. I know that stupid people are out of the control of the management, but they could have done more-I wonder how many other people complained, it's not like it's a 2 star motel.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, don't get an adjoining room and try for a higher floor.
Washington, DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Issues started at check in when something that should have taken 5 minutes took nearly 30. Staff definitely needs better training. Went to the Exec Lounge where they served cheese squares and crackersthat were stale. And tried to charge me $8 for a really awful glass of wine that i could get for half that in the bar downstairs. Do they think we are idiots? Guess so. My room had broken toilet and no hot water. Asked to be moved to quiet room. They put me in "junior suite" which is directly behind elevators so noisy as heck. And there is no phone service in the room. Isnt that a code violation? Anyway they then tried to move me to a closet size room that had just been recarpeted and smelled awful. Did It was just one bad thing after another. They claim to have spent $17m on this place but not sure it is more than skin deep. Pool is still teensy and not good for adult
swmming. If you can stay at the Westin Galleria it is much better. This place might have a new wrapping but it is still mediocre at best. Stained furniture cushions?! Ew!

Room Tip: Avoid junior suites unless you sleep well to sound of elevators.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank YGG
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay. It appears that you had several operational opportunities during your visit at our hotel. I would like you to feel confident that the items mentioned in your comments have been addressed with the team. If you would like to discuss any of these items further please feel free to contact me personally.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Spent two nights there for a business event, and for time reasons I did not check fitness or pool. The hotel is confortable and well run, associates are very willing to help on anything and our conference went smoot from all perspectives. The breakfast is only average, besides bread/butter and some fruits, the rest is mostly sugary and fatty (tried scrambled eggs and a sausage). It is ok, but I wouldn't go for anything else than business.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

New bed, TV, furniture and staff were great but lots of details need to be sorted (sink hot water not working, loose faucets, scratchy windows, my key didn't work a number of places they should have). The beds were VERY comfortable and the staff were attentive to issues raised. I didn't like the construction outside the pool and below my room though I am an spg platinum member. This wasn't an issue at night but I have a higher standard for Sheraton.

Stayed April 2012
I would like to thank you for your feedback. In regards to the opportunities that you have mentioned in your review, I can assure you that they have all been addressed. If your future travels should include Dallas, we hope you will once again choose the Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria.
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in April. We were told that the hotel was just renovated a few weeks ago. The lobby is sparkling and the bar/restaurant (The Front Yard) was VERY nice and a grat place to hang out in the hotel (The Build Your Own Burgers were fabulous!). Staff and room quality was the same as a typical Sheraton hotel. The rooms were very spacious and very clean. Only minor issue was the configuration on the bathroom door (which almost smacked into the toilet when you opened it all the way). The location was good as it is just a few blocks away from a huge shopping mall (Galleria) and tons of restaurants. The only complaint is the freeway construction right in front of the hotel (the hotel is on a frontage road so a bit tricky to navigate). They also have a complimentary breakfast for guests which was quite good! (hot and cold items and plenty of choice)

1 Thank Franchise35
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Well, it looks like I'm the first one to review the newly reopened Sheraton, which had been closed for six months for a comprehensive re-do and which reopened about ten days prior to my visit. First, I'll just say that nearly all of the previous complaints about the place, specifically that it "felt old," are obsolete. I've stayed at plenty of five-star and boutique hotels, and the new Sheraton lobby (including its multiple dining and bar areas) is, quite simply, a stunner. VERY stylish decor, though not in an overtly trendy manor (well, except for the filament lights above the bar, a design element well past the point of cliche at this stage), and they even have nifty Android tablets on which you can (at check-in) flip through everything the hotel offers and (at the bar) flip through the entire food and cocktail menu. Speaking of the latter, it has a host of concoctions clearly designed by a talented mixologist that would put many of the country's so-called "speakeasies" to shame -- and at reasonable prices to boot, with most in the $7-$8 range. Even more surprisingly, this is one of the very few hotel bars I've encountered that had actually attracted a sizable crowd on a weeknight -- no easy feat, as most hoteliers can tell you.

As for the rooms ... well, unfortunately they're nowhere near the design level of the lobby, even though they've been redone floor to ceiling. The first problem is an inherent and almost entirely unavoidable one when you're renovating a '70s-era property: the ceilings are low (7.5 feet, with the bathroom closer to 7) and the bathroom is pretty much miniscule, undoubtedly because it would've been cost-prohibitive to expand it or even change the basic location of its plumbing elements (tub, toilet and sink). The bigger problem, however, is that Sheraton somehow cheaped out on its room decor, with the notable exception of the bed, which is as good as any Starwood one I've slept in short of Westin's famous Heavenly Bed. There's a dinky 32" flatscreen TV -- a stark contrast to the 42" models you'll find at Aloft Hotels, which are supposed to be below Sheraton on the Starwood totem-pole chain -- and the decor is only interesting if you're into *a lot* of beige and browns. Worse still, the rooms lose major brownie points for failure to make them comfortable and convenient for business travelers. Not only does this property have the "free lobby wi-fi, but $11/day for the privilege of using it in your room" mentality that always befuddles me when I encounter it, but during the course of the remake the hotel failed to install the most basic thing a traveler needs: electrical outlets. The *only* one I could find that wasn't behind a bed, desk or dresser was in an electrical strip awkwardly taped to the bottom of the desk, and I had to climb under it to get to it. (Note that only one outlet on the strip was free, never mind that the average business traveler usually needs two minimum, and preferably three or four.)

Alright, getting back to the good points: service all-around was remarkable considering the hotel's newness, with very prompt check-in (including meeting my request for a high-floor king room away from the elevators and not facing the adjacent freeway, even though I was traveling on a Priceline rate) and restaurant/bar service. The hotel serves a free hot breakfast, which I appreciated to the umpteenth degree, and offers an array of touch-screen computers in the lobby; I'm not sure if you can access the full Internet on them, but you can certainly print out boarding passes and the like. Although I admittedly hate paying for parking, which is mandatory here even for self-parking (to be fair, it's a fairly small lot, and there aren't any street-parking spots in the immediate vicinity), the cost ($10/night, with unlimited in and out) seemed like a bargain compared to its nearby sister Starwood hotels, the Westin Galleria and Le Meridien, which have the audacity to charge $18/day when you can just as easily park in the mall garage for free.

I'd definitely recommend the hotel, particularly at the obscenely low rate I paid on Priceline, but two caveats: first, the I-635 freeway adjacent to the hotel is in the midst of a substantial expansion, and the area will likely be congested and filled with construction vehicles for the next several years. Also, as already noted, the hotel is indeed confusing to get to. I happened to know how to get there only because I lived in Dallas for 13 years, but basically you have to take 635 (a.k.a. the LBJ Freeway) to get there. Heading east down the freeway, as you would if you were traveling from either of the areas two airports (DFW and Love Field), you'd get off at Dallas Parkway (essentially the access road for the Dallas North Tollway) and make a u-turn onto the 635 access road. Heading west it's probably easiest to take the Alpha Rd. exit and continue along the access road until you get to the hotel. I'm sure a GPS system or a smartphone equipped with voice navigation would help as well.

Room Tip: I'd definitely ask for a room on the north side of the hotel, facing away from the freeway. Whil...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo