Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill
Ranked #58 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

When in need of a place to simply stop for a night, we often choose Hampton Inns. They are never luxurious, but you almost always get a well-maintained facility with clean rooms and the basic amenities you need for a short stay, at a reasonable price. We were flying out of Love Field early in the morning, so chose this Hampton because it is fairly close to the airport, and just off I-35E. With the road construction on and around I-35E, and the proximity to the airport, this location was somewhat disappointing, and it's still a few miles from the airport, so not quite as convenient as you might think. Even though it wasn't all that close to the airport, we chose it anyway, relying upon the fact that Hamptons are a reliably-good option. The location was somewhat noisy, and just generally unattractive.

The exterior, common areas, lobby, hallways, etc were all somewhat shabby-looking and in need of some updating, which is unusual for a Hampton Inn. It appeared that there was some renovation/updating going on, as almost all the doors to the rooms had some sort of spackling smeared on them in places. One of the two elevators was not working. On the positive side (and the reason I gave them an overall "average" rating, instead of something lower) the interior of our room was just what we've come to expect from a Hampton Inn. It was clean, well-maintained and appeared to be relatively new.

So, perhaps this hotel is in the process of an upgrade/remodel, in which case, in a few months, it may be deserving of a higher rating, but until then, "average" is about the best I can offer, although, I doubt the quality of the location is going to improve much any time soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
We are truly sorry for the problems you experienced during your recent stay. We are in the process of renovating. We will have a new lobby by the end of this year, and are currently replanting around the hotel.

We appreciate your feed back and look forward to having you as a return guest. Please feel free to call me when you are back this way so that we may make sure you experience a true Hamptonality stay.

Jeanne Nichols

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Victoria, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Inexpensive, Clean, and Friendly!

The only complaint in our party was the beds promised were queen, but they looked a little smaller like a full size.

The beds were comfortable, the price is affordable. There is construction going on all over Dallas so it is hard to navigate around, but not impossible.

The rooms did not smell like smoke. The carpet was clean. The breakfast served longer hours so that was relieving. B+ Very nice stay, would definitely come back to this Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Check in early to get a better selection of room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you so much for your comments about the Hampton Inn Dallas North during your recent stay. We are pleased that you had a nice stay and were satisfied with your accommodations.

One note - our rooms with the queen/queen beds, are indeed true queen size beds.

We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your returning to the Hampton Inn. Please contact me if I may be of assistance to you.

Have a great day!

Director of Sales
Waterville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was in Dallas for business and really enjoyed my stay here. As other reviewers mentioned it right next to the highway and there was some construction along the highway but one day I was working in the hotel room in the early afternoon and evening, and my room was on the side of the building closest to the highway and I still did not hear anything. The building is well built and seems really sound proof.

I really enjoyed the breakfast. I've stayed at other hotels that have the waffle iron and variety of cold choices, in addition to some hot choice. But I particularly enjoyed how at this Hampton the hot option was Different each morning--eggs with fresh peppers, onions, and cheese one morning, buiscuits and gravy another morning, all of it seemed freshly made and delicious. They also kept the coffee and hot water (for tea and hot chocolate) out and filled all day so I was able to have some tea later in the day--really enjoyable.

Other reviewers mentioned the Happy Hour--they did not tell me it was Monday through Thursday when I checked in on a Tuesday (they just mentioned the time it started that evening). So I was pleasantly surprised by the snacks and drinks available each night.

The room was excellent, bed extremely comfortable, temperature control worked great (I think I was in room 200 or something right around there), fridge and microwave nice touch, bathroom really tastefully decorated and the cleanest bathroom in any hotel I've every stayed (no mold/mildew anywhere), great work area with desk, chair, and Internet free and worked well, and I appreciate getting shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash!!

The three suggestions I have are the following: One, it would be nice if they kept a few regular plates and bowls or even paper plates and bowls so that a guest could request to use them occasionally. This is because I was in town for the entire week and had some leftover pizza in the fridge in my room, but had nothing to heat it up on in the microwave. All the hotel had was Styrofoam-type plates and bowls and things. I put the pizza on a pile of napkins (because I did not want to put Styrofoam in the microwave and get chemicals in my food). It's not a requirement but would be a nice touch to just have that available in the kitchen area if a guest asked for it.

Two, the housekeeping schedule is a little strange: one of the days during the week, my meetings ended early and I got back to the hotel around 2pm, planning to work on things in my room the rest of the day. The housekeeping carts were on my floor, and when I went into my room all the towels that I had left on the floor were gone (so someone had apparently started to clean my room since they removed the dirty towels) but nothing else had been done, yet. I had a lot of work to do, so I just got to work. Some time between 4 and 4:30pm a housekeeper knocked on my door and I told her she could do whatever she needed and I would just be working at the desk. She quickly did a fantastic job cleaning but it was just awkward that they had started in my room before 2 and never actually cleaned it until hours later and were working on it so late in the day. The hotel did not seam overly crowded at all so I just did not understand why they were doing this so late in the day--since check out was at noon, why didn't they clean the rooms with people in them who were not checking out that day some time before noon and then work on the rooms that had been vacated during the afternoon?

Three, be more consistent about the little things: the newspaper was left outside of rooms with people in them most mornings (There were additional copies available in the breakfast area as well), but on two of the morning I stayed there the newspaper was left in front of other people's doors but not mine. I thought that was a little strange and honestly I felt a little slighted. It's a small thing, and I did not steal the paper from in front of anyone else's room, I was just surprised.

Four, I've stayed at other hotels in the area that had more dinner and other fun food options within walking distance of the hotel. I did not see any really great options on a google map of the area. Having this information more readily available for guests would be helpful.

I would definitely stay here again as the staff were professional and the accommodations and breakfast fantastic.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you so much for your nice comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

I would like to explain our housekeeping schedule to you, we pick up the towels you have left in the bathroom each morning so that we may get them to the laundry. Your room was not cleaned until later in the day on the regular housekeeping schedule. Don't forget that if you want early housekeeping services, you can put out your "Make up Room Early" sign.

I also think your idea about paper plates is wonderful - we will make sure to get some and should your travels bring you back to the Hampton, we will be prepared.

Again, thank you for your patronage, we look forward to seeing you once again. If I may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Director of Sales
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful. This Hampton has a Happy Hour – Monday to Thursday in the front lobby. Free Food & Drinks. It’s right on the Freeway, and there’s road construction, but the room was amazingly quiet. The quietness was almost spooky.

Rooms are typical Hampton. Microwave & Fridge, Thermostat controlled heat & AC that was quiet and effective. Clean carpets in the room and in the hallway. The bed was a bit softer than I like, but I got a great nights sleep every night. Flat Screen TV with 29 channels. Standard size work desk with 2 outlets on the desk lamp, and a power strip on the floor. The Free Wi-Fi was fast and reliable.

No actual business center, but there were 2 computers and printer in the lobby. The fitness center has almost anything you need.

The Hampton breakfasts are always great. I have yet to find a Hampton Breakfast that was sub par. It’s always more than expected.

Food and convenience stores are close by.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Jeanne N, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you so much for your complimentary review. We are pleased that you had a nice stay here at the Hampton and look forward to having you as a guest again soon.

Please let us know if we may be of assistance to you.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We found the hotel clean and the rooms nice. However, the a/c was definetly a problem. I turned the thermostat down to 65 and was still sweating during the night. My husband even complained about the temperature (which is unusual for him).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very mucy for your review. We are sorry that you experienced some problems with your air conditioning. While this is "hind-site" at this point, please never hesitate to call the front dest and ask for assistance should you incur a problem in your room. We would have been glad to come to your room and see what the problem was, and if it could be corrected. We would also have moved you to another room if you had requested it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should your travels bring you you to Dallas again, I would be pleased to take care of you and ensure that you have a perfect stay.
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

The neighborhood is a little dicey (but hey, it's near an airport) but the hotel is newly remodeled and very nice. We stayed because we had an early flight out of Love Field. There is a fridge and microwave in the room, and everything was brand new. Right next to the freeway, but very quiet. The staff was very nice as well. Unfortunately we had to leave before breakfast, I guess we'll have to catch it next time...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank wickednice
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

After missing our flight, we had to stay at this hotel. The shuttle picked us up and the staff was very efficient at having everything ready for our stay. The rooms were very nice, quiet, and close to the vending machines and ice machine. Free wi-fi made it very convenient. The complimentary breakfast was very complete; cereal, oatmeal, muffins, fruits, and even belgian waffles made my day. If I ever have to go to Dallas, I won't hesitate on booking this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SLR879
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
0.1 km away
0.6 km away
Quality Inn & Suites I-35 / Walnut Hill
2.5 km away
MCM Elegante Hotel and Suites

Been to Hampton Inn Dallas North / I-35 East At Walnut Hill? Share your experiences!