“Great Food, Deficient Atmosphere ”
Review of Mariscos La Quinta

Mariscos La Quinta
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Dumas
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 27, 2017 via mobile

I entered this restaurant for supper at about 7:20. That was after dark, and the place was a little hard to find despite being one the main street through Dumas because it is in a small building with a dimly lit sign. The inside is bright and apparently clean, but has the rather bare appearance of a typical fast food restaurant, only with a Spanish language radio station with an obnoxious announcer playing excessively loud.

As implied by the restaurant's name, it specializes in numerous shrimp dishes. I ordered one with the shrimp cooked in a garlic and butter sauce. It was one of the best shrimp dishes that I have ever eaten, with about 9 large, juicy shrimp smothered in the tasty sauce. It included a generous helping of rice that, instead of the standard sweet tomato sauce had a delicious clear sauce flavored by some sort of herbs.

As with most Mexican restaurants, the dinner includes tortilla chips served immediately. The ones here were fresh and crisp, although thicker than I prefer. Customers help themselves to salsa from a bar with about 9 varieties in containers set on crushed ice. That's nice, except that there is no indication as to the ingredients of the various salsas (other than red or green) and so the customer has to guess.

The service was appropriately prompt, and it was about 7:45 by the time that I was finished. The place closes at 8:00, but a touch that was really unprofessional was that they were already putting the chairs up one the tables and mopping the floor.

The place has great food at reasonable prices, but lacks the sort of class needed for me to rate it excellent.

2  Thank Ted S

Reviewed September 13, 2017

I live in Dumas and have ate there several times overt the years. The food can be a little on the spicy side but the food is always great. I think they have the best fajitas in town.

Reviewed September 8, 2017 via mobile

The $9.99 lunch buffet featured grilled shrimp fajitas, carne guisada, carne rojo, sauteed polish sausage and peppers and fresh fried whole tilapia. (Salad and cake for dessert plus rice and beans as sides.) The food was hot and fresh. The fish was excellent. The waitress brought us fresh tortillas and chips. The salsa bar featured almost a dozen salsas. Great value. Authentic Mexican food. Great beer selection. Great food.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

I dislike writing negative reviews, especially when the server was so sweet and likable. But... service was slow, our food (for 3 of us) came out one at a time, the enchiladas were very average, and rice wasn't very good. We ordered a bowl of queso with the chips, and it had the consistency of soup- very runny, and bland and wouldn't stay on the chips. I actually laid a paper napkin trail from the bowl to my plate to catch the drops.
Next time- somewhere else.

Reviewed August 3, 2017

Stopped in about 7 PM and ordered the 7 Mares seafood soup. Took about a half hour to prepare it and with only two other tables to serve, there was no rush. Nice clean dining area and friendly staff. The salsa bar has a lot of choices and the ones I tried were very good. Nothing was labeled so a gringo like me was just guessing. Chips & Salsa kept me busy till the soup arrived. The broth had excellent flavor with many big chucks of tender fish. Great start. After that I found the shrimp still had the tails on so I peeled them before eating. A lot of the octopus tentacles were so hard they could not be chewed. The fake "crab leg meat" was unfit for human consumption. If quality ingredients and careful prep are not an option, this soup should be taken off the menu.

Been to Mariscos La Quinta? Share your experiences!