“Worst Holiday Inn Express Ever...”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elgin
Reviewed 31 May 2017

Most HIE's offer a good experience and a comfortable, clean room. This location in Elgin is the exception and if given a choice for a hotel in another town, take it. Located and crammed in among run down buildings and garbage dumpsters, I wasn't sure my car would be there in the morning. Checked in and needed a baggage cart but one of them was about to topple over and fall apart, so took the other. Got on the elevator which reeks of bug killer, thought I was going to pass out from the fumes before it could get to the second floor...gag. Hallways are dimly lit, musty smelling and hot, even though air conditioners are visible at the end, they apparently aren't used. The room (218) was musty smelling, mattress was overly worn and uncomfortable, making decent sleep impossible and painful. Shared the room with bugs on the floor, hard to see on the dark carpet. Furniture was torn, ripped, but the obvious isn't apparent to management. (See photos) The swimming pool was out of service (why am I not surprised?) so thought I might watch a movie on HBO, after all, it says they have HBO. Surprise...no HBO. So I call the front desk and ask what channel can I find HBO and the person on the phone says "It's channel 60" so I go to channel 60 and all you see (see photos again) is a black screen with the word "Spectrum" on it. Probably didn't pay the cable bill, as the channels are pathetic or Spanish language and shopping channels. So I told the front desk, all I have is a black screen, and he says "Ohhh, I'll have to go in the back room and check it, maybe reset it and see if that works." Of course nothing happens, and he NEVER calls back. Not that you could even see it on these cheap Insignia TV's they have in the rooms, please note the pictures of what you see on the screen, blurred images, white washed out imperceptible images. I read other reviews noting this same issue, so apparently it is hotel-wide and not just the TV in my room. Since others have complained about it, apparently management KNOWS about it, but chooses to do nothing about the issue. It seems like everything at this hotel is done on the cheap, mattresses, housekeeping, TV's, cable service, furniture, maintenance and bug control. So went to take a shower and the shower head is lose, so when you turn the water on, it sprays into the bathroom area, soaking everything. I had to tighten the fixtures up so it wouldn't leak and spray the bathroom, but at this point, nothing surprises me about this hotel. I couldn't wait to get out of this place and for what they charge, is a poor value as is. Management doesn't seem to care about anything, just take the guest's money and hope they go away. This hotel does not represent the Holiday Inn brand very well.

Room Tip: Ask for one without bugs and a working TV with HBO. You may have to go to another hotel to get all...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Hello HorseFlicks,

Thank you for your review and for staying at the hotel. I appreciate the kind remarks regarding our rooms and hotel location. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is truly regrettable to hear that you experienced inconvenience due to the maintenance and housekeeping issues as well as tne hotel facilities like the pool and elevator. Moreover, I am sorry about the negative impact you had experienced with the quality of amenities in the room such as the television channels and mattress. I understand how frustrating these matters can be and I am sorry our hotel staff was not able to address this issue appropriately. As such, I have sent you a private message to ask more information regarding this unsatisfactory stay.

Your visit is valuable and I hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel

needs.

Zel N.

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Had a death in the family. The hotel refused to leave a message to have me call family. Desk clerk often missing. Room smelled like mildew. Had a dehumidifier in room. I had to empty the humidifier. Pool closed. Worst stay ever. Next time I will stay in another town.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Hello jofdonner,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am sorry to hear about your loss. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of the room assigned to you and customer service you received from our staff. I’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. Also, this feedback will be shared with the appropriate people to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Well placed, well priced for Austin area. Very clean, new appearance. Very friendly staff. Room was clean, quiet, very good sleeping. Many restaurants near by. Breakfast was high quality with good service and clean room.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Elgin-HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanbk you for taking the time to letting us know that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We hope to see you soon in Elgin.

Charles. A
GM

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Our room was clean, spacious and had everything we needed. We thought the beds were really comfortable. On our way out, we were able to order breakfast from the menu to take with us. Bennigans was perfect for a cocktail. And it seemed that every place we needed to go was 8 minutes away. We used Uber, and our drivers were great.

Room Tip: King Suite was spacious.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2017

I've been staying at this Holiday Inn Express off and on for the last 4 years. It is beginning to get run down. The carpet in my room was old, the room was musty and damp smelling, and the walls need to be repainted. Around 9:45 pm, one of the rooms a few doors down had two dogs that starting barking. This continued for about 30 minutes or so. Not only was it annoying, I didn't realize this hotel allowed patrons to have dogs in the rooms. The most important thing I have a complaint about was the cost of the room. Evidently, there was some event going on in the area, as most of the hotels had no available rooms. I usually pay around $115 a night to stay at this hotel which is a decent value for an older hotel. However, for this stay, I was charged $155 for the one night, With tax it came out to $177. This is NOT a $150 a night hotel! I do not appreciate the policy of raising the prices because of a higher demand due to local events. I know most hotels do this, but as an Honors member and someone that stays here fairly often, I don't appreciate being taken for more money.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Dear 174btw,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. Our goal is to deliver exceptional service and comfortable accommodation to all of our guests and we appreciate your above average rating on staff service and location. However, it is regrettable your stay was inconvenienced by the dated condition of the hotel facility, the noise level from the barking dogs, and the rate which did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention as this is our best resource to know how our hotels are being managed to a high standard and to evaluate what can be improved. I have this information documented and it will be forwarded to the hotel management for review and to take actions accordingly.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you with exceptional service and accommodation on your next visit.

Grace P.

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

No hotels or inns are perfect and this one falls into that category. Minimal parking since it's location is cramped in with two shops in front and its snack vending machine is lacking. But don't let that chase you away. The rooms are comfortable and accommodating with a microwave, fridge, and Coffee maker. The beds are comfortable and clean with sets of labeled pillows for your sleep needs.
Bathroom is equipped with a hair blow dryer and a gracious amount of towels which is normally something I find lacking in even more upscale inns and hotels.

I would definitely stay here again if I come to Elgin with my family

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Elgin-HIEX, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay. We are always appreciative of feedback and pleased to hear the room exceeded your standards.

Looking forward to your next visit,

Diana R.
Front Office Manager
Holiday Inn Express in Elgin

Reviewed 22 February 2017

We were displaced from our home on Monday Feb20th, 2017, due to a tornado in our small town of Elgin, Texas. We called other hotels in the area and in Manor, Texas which is a 10 minute drive and no one was even remotely interested in helping our community except for Holiday Inn Express in Elgin, Texas.
They gave us a room for our family of 5, half off from the normal rate, which included free breakfast for the family.
THANK YOU TO THE MANAGEMENT, STAFF, AND EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THIS DISCOUNT TO OUR COMMUNITY.
There were many families that needed help and you all stepped up to the plate.

The rooms were clean, comfortable, spacious, and the staff was top notch. I would stay here again but I live a mile from here. I will always from this point on recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a place here in Elgin.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elgin? Share your experiences!