“Line waiting to get in, but we were dissapointed”

Old German Bakery and Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 144 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went for lunch today. Short wait, outside, before being seated.
We were looking forward for some good German food. We were not looking for the normal German meat dishes but more the pancake type.
Coffee was very good and our cups never had a chance to get empty, good service.
We ordered the potato pancakes and the German pancakes.
The potato pancakes were almost OK but needed salt when they were made, not added after.
The German pancakes were plate size and very thin, just the way I like them. However they were oily on the bottom, and lacked flavor(likely also missing salt when made.
The Spaetezle was oily and just un appealing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I ate at this casual restaurant with home cooking. They served German food as well as American fare. We met a few locals eating here. It reminded me of our hometown local restaurant. The food and service were spot on. We will return. They have a display counter with bakery goods to purchase. I recommend having lunch or dinner here if your in the mood for home cooking.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The restaurant is Texas, but the menu choices are Germany. Our lunch was excellent, and the service good. Get there early to enjoy the bakery choices. Fresh daily.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We love this place for both the restaurant and bakery. One of the reasons I enjoy coming to Fredericksburg is the German food. Old German Bakery and Restaurant (OGBR) has good German food and a secret that I just recently learned. When you eat sausage here, you are eating the locally made version from Opa's Meats. SO GOOD! On one visit, Opa's sausage put my breakfast over the top. We've been here for both breakfast and lunch. Prepare for lines whenever you come; the wait may be long, but it will be good.

We learned something about the bakery on our first visit. I am diabetic and have to watch how much sugar I eat which leaves out most pastries. They make a kind of cinnamon roll ring which they normally put a white icing on top. We asked if they would make one for us without icing. They said it could be ready the next day. So, we ordered two. As we drove home to Houston, we sampled one. Well, we sampled it till it was gone. SO GOOD! Now, every time we go back we order more and they always accommodate us.

Get in line and wait it out. It will be worth it.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped for lunch during the week and although it was busy, our food came quick. We didnt see the lunch menu and ordered from the regular menu but had some leftovers I didn't complain about taking. The red cabbage... OMG. Wish I had some right now to enjoy.