“Fantastic Sushi!!! Best in Town no contest!”
Review of Sake Toro

Sake Toro
Ranked #52 of 537 Restaurants in Frisco
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We went to Sake Toro on Saturday night for the first time. OMG!!!! If you love specialty sushi rolls, this place is by far the best around. We eat sushi all the time and have been so disappointed since we moved here 2.5 years ago from California. We have been desperate to find sushi like we had as commonplace out there. If you are from California you will understand. We have been sent all over town for what people say is the "best sushi" and nothing comes close. Well this place satisfies that and then some! The rolls are so creative and you have the perfect mix of variety of fresh fish, sauce, and rice in the rolls. Too many sushi places around here either create rolls that are swimming in sauce or so full of rice you wonder where the heck is the fish :)

KC you have a fantastic place and I hope you are very successful!

Reviewed September 12, 2008

We have been to many sushi restaurants in the metroplex. This is our favorite of all of them. It is small and intimate. It is close to home. The staff are super nice. They always pay special attention to our children (when they go with us).

We have tried many of the things on the menu, and haven't found one that we dislike yet! Casey's handroll is excellent, but my favorite is the spicy New Orleans roll. Our kids favorite dish is the Screaming Orgasm. (they know it as the Screamin Orchid) It is one of our favorites too. Another favorite dish of ours is the Rockshrimp Tempura. It is awesome!

We highly recommend this restaurant! We haven't had one bad dish yet. Their service has gotten better and faster, as they have been open longer. We just ordered some over the phone, and are waiting to go pick it up! Yummm...I can't wait! :)

Also-if they know it is your birthday, they will do something special. We mentioned it was our daughters birthday one night, and they dimmed the lights, turned off the music, and the entire staff sang Happy Birthday! It was super special! :)

Reviewed July 22, 2008

I eat Sushi quite frequently, so here's my opinion: Nice atmosphere, Priced quite higher than most, yet food is about the same. Biggest complaint: very slow service and Paid way too much for what I swear were watered down cocktails. We wont return.

Reviewed July 15, 2008

Since my wife and I have been there 8-10 times I can give a pretty good evaluation of this Sushi Bar.

Atmosphere and Service
The Sushi bar use to take on a very Vegas like atmosphere after 9 PM but it seems to be toning that down. The atmosphere is comfortable although the sushi bar stool could be a little more comfortable. The service has had its ups and downs when it first opened but is really starting to come together in a great manner. While I would have given the service an Okay when I first was there it would now rate average to above.

Sake Toro has the very wild named rolls of which the sushi chef has a great palate of combinations. Many places today rely on too much spice and heat to make different rolls. While there are many rolls the combination of flavors are good and not too overpowerin on most rolls. In addition, when allergies or tastes differ they are open to changing the rolls to suit your tastes. For the more simpler traditional rolls try a negihama or negitoro roll.

The fish is very fresh. While not the most variety you will find, what they do serve is very fresh. They will serve more traditional variations as well. The Aji (Spanish Mackerel) is served beautifully with a nice dipping sauce and the tempura bones afterwards are great. They have some of the best Ankimo (monkfish liver) I have ever had the pleasure of eating. In addition their tuna with mountain yam was very traditional (although not for everyone.)

Their cooked food is excellent as well. Sauteed mussles, hamachi kama, and miso glazed bass were all excellent. I would have to give them an excellent on the fish and above average on their rolls (excellent if you prefer rolls over sushi but that is a persoanl preference.)

Having tried all (if not then more than the majority) of the sushi places in Frisco and many in Plano, this has consistently been above average. There are fancier places where they started off great and have since started to lack the quality, there are less fancy places that really should only do simple rolls and americanized rolls. Sake Toro so far has hit the mark with quality traditional style sushi, exotic rolls and great cooked food. Enjoy!

Been to Sake Toro? Share your experiences!