“Same size as San Luis, with a nicer front desk”

Candlewood Suites Galveston
Ranked #23 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Dallas
“Same size as San Luis, with a nicer front desk”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I recently stayed at Candlewood during a very busy time for them--a dance competition coupled with a festival downtown as well as a cruise weekend (my husband and my reason for being there). Not only did we receive a fast check in with no problems, but the wonderful girl Abigail at the front desk arranged for our parking at their location and for third party shuttle to the terminal. It was a breeze. Whatever request we had was promptly answered, from an extra pillow and blankets to getting us some ice as the ice maker in our room was taking very long. Even though not on the beach, their rooms are the same size as more expensive beach front locations and the atmosphere is much more hospitable. The manager Ali was equally friendly and helpful with our check out, and we definitely plan to stay again for the fourth of july.

Room Tip: Room service is not provided, this is an extended stay hotel, but the front desk is always willing t...
3 Thank Charise O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
Texas
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night. We made our reservation at the very last minute, so there were not many vacancies in hotels around the area, and we ended up paying over $200 for the room. That was too much. We had a room with 2 double beds. They apparently do not have rooms with 2 queen beds, which I thought was a little odd, but the beds were very comfortable. The hotel is not on the seawall, it is on 61st street, but it is on the EAST side of the interstate, so it is a pretty good ways from the beach, definitely not within easy walking distance . Even though it was full, we had no problems parking or checking in. The room did have a full kitchen, which is really nice, and everything was clean. The sink in the bathroom was hooked up backwards, with the cold on the left and the hot water to the right. We could hear the people in the next room up and moving around at 2am. Despite that, I would still say overall it was an ok place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 4andadog
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at this hotel in March 2012 and had a special rate of $82.00 per night. The room was comfortable, however the mattress was pretty hard. The A/C worked very well and the room was clean. The room had a small kitchen that seemed adequately equipped although we did not use it. This is not a total smoke free facility and that was disappointing. We were on the third floor on the supposed non-smoking end but when we walked out in the evening the smoke in the hallway was pretty bad. We could even smell it in our room when we went to bed. The maintenance is a little lacking here. The refrigerator made a noise and the door did not seal properly which added to the cigarette smoke smell in the room. I suppose I would not be opposed to staying here again but I would make sure up front that the door seals! The staff was friendly enough. This hotel is only a few minutes to the seawall and is located next to the highway and near a Target store. If you get a good rate here go for it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the highway which may add to the noise.
3 Thank SteveSmith243
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Galveston, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear SteveSmith243,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
IHGCare
Houston
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Wow, was I afraid after reading the reviews here...I had already booked this hotel cuz it's practically the only one with suites that accepts pets. And I booked at a non-refundable rate.
I think our experience is simply the difference in crowded vs. not crowded times of the year. The front desk staff was nice, morning and evening, and talkative. The room and hallways were clean, and I was wishing the weather was warm, cuz the pool was sparkling and inviting. The only negative was the location.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank cindy22
Dallas
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here during Spring break for the first time and we were very satisfied with this hotel. The location was perfect. Target, wingstop and many other stores were literally 2 minutes across the street from here and it was conveniently located right off of 45. We loved that the hotel was located right on 61st street which made it very close to everything and just minutes from the beach. The rooms were large and spacious and very clean. The kitchen was great! It saved us hundreds of dollars and we were able to enjoy other attractions on the island with the money we saved. The staff was friendly and courteous and we did not encounter any problems whatsoever. We loved the outdoor patio and grill in which we used during our stay. Very pleasant. We also went swimming in there large pool and it also had a hot tub!! It was great! We will stay here again! Best experience ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank Paula A
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I must say that despite the awful reviews I read prior to booking, I still decided to try it out because the hotel had a full kitchen and reasonal pricing. OMG was I surprised!! Upon arrival, we checked in and walked into our hotel room. It smelled very nice and the room was fresh and cool!! We have a family of four and it was perfect in size!!! The kitchen had great pans and a full dish set which were very nice (not cheap) for cooking!! It had everything you need! The bathroom was huge and the recliner and flatscreen and dvd player was wonderful! The hotel also had the cupboard for anything you could possibly need! The hotel also had a large selection of movies to choose from!! The staff was very friendly and professional.We loved the beautiful pool and spa which was surrounded by gorgeous palm trees and had chairs to lay out on as well as tables and chairs! It was never crowded nor noisy and we stayed a whole week!! I will never stay anywhere else again!!!!! I definitely recommend anyone to stay here rather a family with children or a couple looking for a getaway spot!!!Thank you soooo much Candlewood Suites for the great hospitality and the wonderful room. We couldn't have asked for anything more!!

Room Tip: Second floor pool view is great and sunny!!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Engineer22
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I've never smelled anything this gross. There was garbage stacked in the halls all day. Insects crawling all over everything. The staff was mean, rude, and used vulgar language. I don't speak spanish but from the body language of the staff, they were lucky my dad wasn't there or they would have wished they treated a lady with more respect. Even if you paid me to, I'd never stay at this hotel again. In a very poor location also.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo