Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galveston Beach
Ranked #38 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Russellville, Arkansas
“Fantabulous!”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Everything from the staff to the room to the amenities were absolutely fantastic. The check in process was quick and easy. Our room was clean and orgainzed. The pool and sauna were wonderful. The location could not have been better (right across the street from the beach). The breakfast was well prepared and delicious. The staff went above and beyond their duties.

Room Tip: Get a suite! They have balconies that look out over the Gulf and do not cost anymore than a regular...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We spent the night here, parked for free, paid for shuttle service to and from the cruise ship. This was a seamless process complement to our cruise. The Desk Clerk, Dee, was exceptional and extremely knowledgable about he area. The shuttle driver was exceptional with pick up after the cruise within minutes of our call. Thge lady cleaning the eating area even filled our water bottles - without being asked! Just a great bunch of people but very typical of Texas hospitality.

Room Tip: Ours had everything to include a balcony. It is on the sea wall so very centrally located as well a...
Houston, TX
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Nice location. Hotel is pretty clean. Asked two rooms next to each other and was promised two rooms at least on the same floor before booking (I actually think it was the manager I talked to as he was the only male at the hotel at any time for those two days.) Spoke to another lady the morning before arrival and repeated the request and asked for rooms on a higher floor. Got to the hotel and our rooms were separated by two floors and completely on opposite ends of the hotel. One was on the second floor over looking a night club and garbage dumpster close enough that someone could jump from the roof of the night club to the balcony practically although there was beach view just over the roof and past the night club air conditioning units. Then for breakfast there was nowhere to sit, basically almost nowhere to stand given it was spring break, but the hotel staff would not let us take the FREE breakfast to our rooms. Never been to a hotel in my 40 years that served a free breakfast that would not let you take it to room, especially given the crowd and unavailable seating. Besides that the rooms were comfortable, had a decent view all though not directly facing the gulf, but I would not want to give this establishment my business in the future if they don't care about the requests of its customers who are paying good money!!!

Room Tip: Get here early, reserve online, and specify that you want a room facing the enterance or on a higher...
5 Thank ElizabethHouston_TX

Travellers are raving about these Galveston hotels

New Caney, TX
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here one night while we were in town for Mardi Gras. This is a newer hotel. The lobby is beautiful and the staff are very friendly. I will definitely book rooms here in the future when i am in Galveston.

Room Tip: Request Ocean side
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mebecindi
Austin, Texas USA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I stayed with Country Inn Galveston Beach for the second time January 28 & 29. The Inn itself is nice enough; rooms were clean. Breakfast is not much, but typical of most hotels/motels that include breakfast.

My main gripe is that I left the plug-in for my iPhone charger in the wall plug-in in our room. I called the hotel right away and asked if someone would go up to the room (I gave the room number) and look, because it should still be plugged into the outlet. No one at the front desk would do that; instead they just sat back and waited for housekeeping to turn it in. They also promised to call me back and let me know either way, which they never did. So after three days of me calling, I just gave up and went and spent the $30 for a whole new charger for my iPhone.

We had stayed with them 2 years ago when we were in Galveston for a pre-cruise night; and since we didn't check-in until 6:00PM, they had already given one of our rooms away. So my parents, husband and I ended up all having to pile into one room, and my husband had to sleep on a rollaway, which left him with a sore neck the next morning. I believe they need to be a bit more professional, and try harder in the customer service area. Otherwise, they are okay. They do offer free Wi-Fi, which is nice; but they just need to try harder!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RoundtheWorldGirl62
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Last summer we had a room booked and were told we could check in early at 1 PM. However, when we tried to do that at approximately 2 PM, the front office rudely reminded us of the check-in time (3 PM!) and made a point of making us feel like we were annoying them.. Little did we know, our nightmare was just beginning. We patiently waited.

We finally were issued keys soon after 3 PM. BTW - did you know if you do not actually go and see if a room is acceptable before you sign the "contract", you are basically saying the room is in satisfactory condition and you have no recourse if you do find something wrong. It is your word against theirs and if you are relying on the reasonableness and integrity of those in charge, you will not find it in this place.

We had a top floor room and when we opened the door a rush of hot air met us in the air conditioned hallway. It was 85 degrees in the room. We tried bumping the temperature down, but it already said it was set at 72 degrees, so something was very obviously wrong. It was honestly too hot and stuffy in there to even try to report the problem from inside the room. I've lived in Texas my entire life. It was the hottest day of the year in Galveston and it would take a top floor room quite a while to cool off even if someone would be able to push a magical button and get the AC working.

We were very hot and had just come up from the beach so were in great need of a shower. The two of us took turns taking very quick showers while the other waited in the hallway. We never even touched anything but the AC control and the bathroom sink, shower, and 2 towels.

About 20 minutes after we had checked in, we went to the front desk and told them the situation. They offered to call maintenance but had no idea how long before they would get to the problem. They also had no answer as to why the cleaning crew did not report a problem with the AC. We had been told that the delay in getting the room early was because the cleaning crew was in there. I don't know how in the world anyone could have been in that room anytime in the last several hours and not noticed that it was beyond stifling. We were also given detailed instructions on how to work the AC control - as if we were morons. We finally convinced her that we knew how to work it and it wasn't working.

We explained that we had used the room to shower - because we were desperate and would be happy to pay for that service, but we wouldn't be staying and asked for at least a partial refund. The lady at the front desk said she would need to contact the manager and could we wait. One and a half hours later, we returned to the front desk and were told the manager had not gotten back to the them. Really? A Saturday afternoon of a summer weekend at a hotel directly across from the beach and there is no manager present.

I asked about the status of the room and the front desk couldn't tell me. Assuming that the manager would be a reasonable person, we left the hotel without any documentation. Apparently this would be crucial in the conflict negotiations between my credit card company and Country Inn and Suites Galveston. Who would have thought we'd need a piece of paper stating the AC was not working properly and the time and date we had departed. Good grief.

Several days later a charge for $275 showed up on my credit card account. I immediately called the hotel and to make a long story short, it took 3 days and many aggravating phone calls to finally talk to a manager named Dee. She claimed that we had used the room and now were asking for a refund. What? And when I mentioned the air conditioning, she said there was nothing wrong with it, a reset button just needed to be pushed. Really? She said we'd not given them any time to correct the problem. (Didn't you just say there wasn't a problem?) It was a bizarre borderline insane conversation. I asked for a number for the person she managed the hotel for and she said she was the owner. I again asked her if maybe she just managed the hotel and maybe someone else owned it. She said and I quote, "if you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't" and hung up on me.

Okay... I didn't bother calling back. My credit card company took over but after several months the bottom line was that I did not have any proof of leaving the hotel or that there was a problem with the room. On the dispute papers, someone (I assume Dee for some reason) wrote that we had stayed the night and that the hotel was brand new and nothing was wrong whatsoever. Basically, I'd used the services as the contract stated and the idea of a refund would not even be "entertained". Apparently I was just trying to pull a fast one.

I am in the process of contacting Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group who owns the Country Inn and Suites chain (not Dee?!?!). Hopefully this will get resolved and even if it doesn't, someone somewhere needs to know about what unsavory business practices are occurring in that hotel. At this point, it is just a matter of principle and a sense of right from wrong. And this is wrong. I'm assuming all the positive reviews are for those lucky enough not to have any kind of problem.

Room Tip: Absolutely ask to see the room and check EVERYTHING out before you sign the contract.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank danechance
Lake Texoma
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Got a great rate on line for one night before a Carnival Magic cruise. Location was great, rooms, clean and new. Comfortable bed. Has two elevators which is unusual fro this size property. Breakfast was good, not great, but for the price we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple