“Excellent!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed August 6, 2018

This is a hole in the wall Mexican food restaurant in Texas....you can't get any better than that! You will always find the best Mexican food at a place like that. The food was great and the service was quick and friendly. Great prices too! My husband and I got combo plates that had 1 enchilada, 1 tostada, and 1 taco. All were quite tasty! Our daughter got the camarones Mexicana and she really liked them as well. Their tortillas are also great! I plan to return next time I'm in Galveston.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Many choices at this local restaurant. We went with some standards as this was the first time eating here.
Enchilada plate with queso and a all beef combo plate.
Both Very Good!
Tacos never got soggy, good chili sauce on combo, queso enchiladas were fantastic.
Very fresh ingredients and served got and timely.
Guacamole side, small, was plenty for 2 and very good.
Off the beaten path, looks run down from the outside but that's just the area. Very clean inside and attentive staff.
Open from 7am to 2pm ish.
Good authentic Tex Mex and beats most of all the others hands down on the Island.
Thumbs Up from this reviewer!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed June 13, 2017 via mobile

I stumbled upon this quaint little restaurant today June 13, 2017, in search of something to fill a void in my soul. La Mixteca happened across my sporadic path of left or right turns and narrow roads, a gem lost in the labyrinth of an unfamiliar town.

I ordered what I felt to be more important than food at the time, one Dos XX. After flipping through a generic Mexican food menu I ordered my go-to, Carne Guisada ( #56 on this menu ) with corn tortillas.

When it arrived to the table I still had not expected much from the plate that looked so similar to others I've ordered before. I layered the refried beans and rice that came with the plate and topped the thin corn disc with a few chunks of the beef tips, folded it up and took the first bite. BAM! An explosion of flavor from the juicy beef, spot on rice, and slightly runny beans. The carne was so tender it almost melted in my mouth, one can tear the little bite-size chunks with a single twist of a fork.

Though I was not hungry, from my tragic state of broken-heartedness I could do nothing but fall helplessly under the spell of this South Texas soul food. I highly recommend La Mixteca Mexican Restaurant to anyone looking for a bellyful of authentic awesomeness.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Choyce Y
Reviewed April 24, 2017 via mobile

Amazing food! Service was fantastic. You get alot of food, very reasonable prices. Off the beaten path. No frills. Will definitely be back!

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed April 10, 2017

We stumbled across La Mixteca while walking nearby. It doesn't look like much from the outside, or for that much even the inside! However, the food was excellent. We had migas, because you can't not get migas when it's on offer for breakfast... Value for money. Eating with quiet locals. Great breakfast.

Date of visit: July 2016