“:( Dissapointing BBQ”

Soulman's Barbeque
Ranked #268 of 392 Restaurants in Garland
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed October 10, 2014 via mobile

I have seen soulmans all over town but have never stopped to give it a try. I wanted some bbq and ran into it. Its a chaon so there are signs talking about how good theor bbq is. I decided to try the two meat plate for 11.99. One of the signs said that they have been around for 40 years and still smoking. When I sat down with my brisket I looked it over and it did not look dry. So at least that was good. Upon further inspection the meat looked a little pale. So this lead me to believe that the meat was not smoked. There was also no smoke ring that I could see. I tasted the meat and it was tender and properly cooked but it lacked taste. I could safely conclude that the brisket is baked in a pan. There was sprinkles of seasoning but it looked as if it was added after the baking process. I tried to add a little flavor with sauce. The sauce was pretty watered down and overly sweetened. It did not make the meat any better. Overall the brisket is edible and cooked properly.

I was curious about the smoke process so after I left I drove around the back to see any stacks of wood and a smoker but all I found was a large oven attached to the building with a gas line going in in the side. Certainly I was dissapointed with soulmans and will probably not return.

1  Thank mario r

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had Soulman's food a few weeks back and I wasn't too impressed. So when I was told that we were heading to Soulmans for lunch I must admit I wasn't too excited.
This location, however was a much better experience. The food was less greasy, the turkey was jucier, although the beef was still fairly dry. I mash was nice although I still wasn't too keen on the beans.
Overall it was far better than last time but i'd still only rate it as an average, as I think there are better BBQ places around.

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I had the combo special with shredded beef and cabbage. The cabbage was cooked with sausage and jalapeño! It was very flavorful. I needed extra sauce to go on my average chopped beef sandwich. In will be going back when I get a craving.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had a family member who worked here and sliced her finger open in the pico de gallo and they still packaged it and sold it. They told her it wasn't that bad and later that night she had to get five stitches because they didn't take her to the hospital.

Date of visit: June 2013
2  Thank Cyork22
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just learned from "foody shows" on TV "hard black burned pieces Soulman's put in bar-b-cue sandwiches are call "burnt ends" by some and are considered a delicacy by others?
For years doctors have said "any thing you carbonize/turn brown/burn turns into a chemical which is bad for your body.
Dr. Oz was cautioning viewers again last week.
Never hear much about this and once again goes back to personal taste and care for one's body.

Date of visit: September 2012