“Best BBQ in Area”

Soulman's Barbeque
Ranked #268 of 370 Restaurants in Garland
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 26, 2016 via mobile

I like to consider myself of somewhat a barbecue aficionado. I have eaten at barbecue places all across the country. I've been working in Garland and Rowlett quite a bit here lately and have been to a lot of barbecue places in the area. My review focuses mostly on the tenderness of meat and smoke flavor as I find that most of the Texas barbecue sauce is somewhat consistent no matter where I go. I really enjoyed the brisket and turkey. It had a slight smoky flavor and was tender, so tender I did not even made the knife to cut it. I also really appreciated that I could get up to meet plate and my choice of vegetables and I was able to choose the vegetables and scoop them myself. Add to that a generous serving of tea and it is a meal fit for a true southerner.

1  Thank sdf66

Reviewed December 28, 2015 via mobile

First time at a Soulmans, and had theis combo. The baked beans were done right and not too sweet, as ws the shredded brisket. Meatvwas not overcooked and the house bbq sauce had just the right amound of tang. If I'm ever back in Dallas expect to find me here sometime during my stay.

Reviewed June 25, 2015

It was okay. Not the top 10 Qs I've eaten, but maybe I don't like Texas BBQ as much as others. Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, North Carolina. That said, here are some hints for visitors:
There is no bbq sauce on the tables. Get it when you get your food, cafeteria style (a great way to get bbq, btw).
The first steamer pan is bbq sauce. It's not gravy, so don't put it on your mashed potatoes.
There is one sauce. That's it.
They claim they're "not stingy with their meat" but they don't overwhelm you, either. Just sayin'
Their sides are okay. Our group tried several, and nothing jumped out at us.
So, worth the stop? We were hungry and didn't want fast food. Glad we tried it; don't think I'd go there again. People were nice, decor was fine.

Reviewed October 10, 2014 via mobile

I have seen soulmans all over town but have never stopped to give it a try. I wanted some bbq and ran into it. Its a chaon so there are signs talking about how good theor bbq is. I decided to try the two meat plate for 11.99. One of the signs said that they have been around for 40 years and still smoking. When I sat down with my brisket I looked it over and it did not look dry. So at least that was good. Upon further inspection the meat looked a little pale. So this lead me to believe that the meat was not smoked. There was also no smoke ring that I could see. I tasted the meat and it was tender and properly cooked but it lacked taste. I could safely conclude that the brisket is baked in a pan. There was sprinkles of seasoning but it looked as if it was added after the baking process. I tried to add a little flavor with sauce. The sauce was pretty watered down and overly sweetened. It did not make the meat any better. Overall the brisket is edible and cooked properly.

I was curious about the smoke process so after I left I drove around the back to see any stacks of wood and a smoker but all I found was a large oven attached to the building with a gas line going in in the side. Certainly I was dissapointed with soulmans and will probably not return.

1  Thank mario r
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had Soulman's food a few weeks back and I wasn't too impressed. So when I was told that we were heading to Soulmans for lunch I must admit I wasn't too excited.
This location, however was a much better experience. The food was less greasy, the turkey was jucier, although the beef was still fairly dry. I mash was nice although I still wasn't too keen on the beans.
Overall it was far better than last time but i'd still only rate it as an average, as I think there are better BBQ places around.

Been to Soulman's Barbeque? Share your experiences!