Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Sidney B
Southlake, Texas

Not a lot of bang for your buck, and this certainly did not feel like a luxury resort...

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Jan 26, 2017
I had wanted to stay at Rough Creek for awhile, always sounded like a fun and fancy full Texas experience! It seems mainly for corporate retreats these days. Rooms show significant wear, service was definitely in NO way "5 stars," but rather friendly and minimal. We had a light lunch, their 3 course dinner, and buffet breakfast. That plus our room came to a whopping $1000. Wow. We were going to do archery, but we, as "leisure guests" got bumped by a corporate group. There were not enough waitstaff at dinner. Fun, shooting and hunting possibilities, for those interested, Given their reputation for great food, their french fries were terrible and the lava cake had no lava.... Some of the food was brilliant however, such as their steaks and quail.
Date of stay: January 2017
Room Tip: Cabins are meant for large families and were more like a bunkhouse
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
24.2 km from Rough Creek Lodge
  • Algotels
18.3 km from Rough Creek Lodge
View more hotels in Glen Rose
All reviews zip line skeet shooting great escape get away great activities something for everyone rock climbing wall dfw metroplex petting zoo kids buffet bunk beds whole family spring break fitness center fossil hunting beautiful scenery my dad
Selected filters
Reviewed January 1, 2017

We spent the week after Christmas at the Rough Creek Lodge. It was a terrific experience. The quality of service is very high at RC. RC is very easy to get to from the DFW Area. It was just a two hour drive from the far side of the DFW Area (Allen). Once you are at RC, you are in the middle a tranquil environment. We enjoyed the meals, riding Kawasaki Mules on the property, shooting clay pigeons, outdoor fireplaces, dog kennels, horse stables, petting zoo, zip lines, hiking trails, outdoor fireplaces, hardwood decor, fishing at the lake and evenings in the Great Room. Would go back to Rough Creek at any opportunity!

Room tip: Kids loved the rooms with he bunk beds. Some suites have fireplaces.
1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed December 30, 2016

We stayed 4 nights, 5 days.
Overall: We enjoyed the overall experience at Rough Creek. It was relaxing and we had a lot of good quality family time. We enjoyed many of the outdoor activities. The mule atv was fun, horseback riding, the shooting activities, zip line and climbing wall were all big hits with our family. They boys wish they would have booked one of the hunting trips, booking in advance is a must. There was a lot to do. The amazing food was definitely a highlight as well. However, For the price there were some aspects of our stay that were subpar. Athough we enjoyed our stay, and there were some great moments., this will probably be a one time visit for us though.
Pros: The staff was wonderful, very friendly and attentive. Breakfast and Dinner was included in our package. The breakfast buffet was very good with many options, the poblano cheddar grits were wonderful, everything was hot and fresh. The dinner was a 3 course - 5 star meal with several choices of apps , entrees and deserts and the menu is changed up a bit each night. They kids buffet was also well stocked with equally tasty items. There are a lot of activities and you will find something for everyone to do. The big hits for our family were the zip line, the rock wall climbing, the air rifle shooting, horseback riding, and 5 stand clay shooting. Three are also little putting greens, shuffle board, horse shoes, fishing boats etc and some games in the kids room. We also used the small 24 hour workout room. Our room was spacious, everyone had their own bed and space, it also had a lovely view. It was a nice relaxing getaway that wasn't too far from home but the prices were a bit steep.
Cons: They charge a premium for this luxury dude ranch and need to reinvest some money back into maintaining and refreshing the property. They do tack on an extra 21% gratuity for every activity and meal. While our room had a lovely view, the balcony needed to be painted, it was a little rickety and looked badly worn. The room's carpet was also well worn and fraying. The ceiling in the main bedroom had water damage/mold stains, cracking and drips down the walls. The bathroom also had mold stains on the roof due to poor ventilation and moisture build up, the shower leaked and tile grout was stained. While there were a wide variety of activities, some of the equipment was in pretty bad shape. They had paddle boats but they were broken, they had canoes but they leaked. They had shuffle board but some of the poles were broken. The kids ranch had several game tables etc but about half were broken. The property just needs some TLC . I was greatly disappointed in the spa services. I would not recommend them at all. The staff was nice, and the setting was relaxing with a nice view. However, The prices were high and they just did not measure up to the services levels promised. My manicure was probably the worst ever, the polish had bumps all in it and looked like my kid painted my nails. Same goes for my pedicure they did not even provide what was advertised for the service I chose, no massage, no scrubbing of dead skin, just rubbing some scrubs and lotions on feet and legs and toenails done which she cut too short to where they hurt for days after and again the paint job was subpar. I've gotten better pedicures for $45 at home.

Room tip: We enjoyed the one bedroom suite with a king master bedroom, a pull out bed and a bunk bed . It was spacious and everyone had some privacy.
6  Thank Pam Y
Reviewed December 29, 2016

Just returned from our fourth visit to Rough Creek over the past 2 years. Service was outstanding, as were the food and accommodations. We always look forward our family dinners. Wayne was our Upland Bird Hunt guide, and he was outstanding both days. We have no reservations recommending Rough Creek, and we have another reservation over MLK weekend!

2  Thank Matt_Bowen
Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

My dad and I just returned from our second father-son hunting weekend at the Rough Creek Lodge, and, as always, it was spectacular!
An easy, 90 min drive from DFW, Rough Creek is a sportsman's paradise that will provide the whole family with incredible amenities, culinary excellence, and memories to last a lifetime.
For my pop and me, we go for the amazing hunting, and that includes spending hours in the duck blind with the star of Rough Creek, guide Allan Huffman. "Huff" is more than a guide, he's a teacher, a mentor and a friend. Having hunted around the nation, I have never considered a specific guide in choosing where I would hunt. Huff breaks the mold in providing sportsmen of all skill levels with an outdoors experience from which they can grow as both hunters as well as people. (My wife jokes that I rave about him so much that we should have invited Huff to our wedding...she wasn't that far off!)
As for the success of our take, the duck hunts provided us with a mixed bag of redhead, pintail, teal, gadwall, wigeon and ring necks. Rough Creek provides the hunters with game processing and easy access to taxidermy services. (This trip, a huge redhead drake will be joining last year's pintail on my wall.)
The food at Rough Creek is already nationally celebrated, but I have to say that their grilled quail appetizer is worth the trip alone. Their wood-fired ribeye is a cut of meat worthwhile of the finest Manhattan steakhouse.
All-in-all, Rough Creek has become a part of the fabric of our family's hunting story. I can't wait for my son to get a little older so that we can make our annual duck hunt a three-generation, father-son experience.
As for Huff, we're planning on starting a new tradition and have already booked him for a turkey hunt this spring. If he can call-in gobblers like he calls in ducks(which I know he can), man look out! I think it's gonna be a fantastic April.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2016 via mobile

This was a beautiful resort for a quick family getaway. Two teen boys were exhausted at the end of each day! Beautiful restaurant, wonderful meals, comfortable beds, luxurious bathroom. Really can't say enough, everything right there. Not inexpensive, but that's not the point when you go to a place like this. Will try to bring some friends next time, as the bar or spa is a great place to hang out while the kids are busy. Also, did the trail ride, and we own horses, and these horses were well taken care of, not overused. I always like to see that.

Trip type: Travelled with family