“hotel is better than avg but location could be better”

Comfort Suites - Near the Galleria
Ranked #225 of 508 Hotels in Houston
“hotel is better than avg but location could be better”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

didnt like the hotel given the area and the crowds in the hotel. hotel was fine oncr it quiet down but could be on a better block

• Stayed October 2011
racheltx671, General Manager at Comfort Suites - Near the Galleria, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for your comment, we appreciate your feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Maine
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from Downtown Houston and therefore a very reasonable priced option for people who have business in Downtown Houston but do not want to spent a lot at Hilton, Intercontinental etc.. The hotel is very clean and the staff friendly. Breakfast Buffet is above average. The rooms have had some upgrades. The location is adjacent to some mixed neighbourhoods. There is a security guard on duty during the night hours. The hotel has a business center with desktop PCs and a b/w laserprinter.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Stayed here one night. Neighbourhood is okay, most Hispanic and Asia. In less then 20 minutes you're in downtown area's (all three). It looks a bit cheap and old fashioned. It could be better maintained. But it's not that bed. The rooms are okay, with the amenities you need and clean. Nothing special about this hotel. I would not recommanded it to my clients, but at the end for one night sleep it's okay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here one night before leaving. The neighborhood was a bit sketchy and the room was grungy. It was okay, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AEF2010

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We spent one night at this hotel while in Houston visiting friends. The hotel property was clean, the room was clean, the pool looked inviting. In our room, a minor complaint was the air conditioner which was rattling just a bit. It was not enough of a problem for us to complain or change rooms. The bathroom was well-stocked. The bed was comfortable.
This particular stretch of Richmond Ave in which the hotel is located is blighted though. We lived in Houston 18 years ago, and this area was vibrant and lively with clubs and restaurants. Most of those have closed, and according to friends, have relocated to downtown Houston. In the meantime, the buildings have remained empty mostly, or now house seedier clubs. We had chosen this location as we were meeting friends 3 blocks away at Pappasito's and figured we'd walk to and from so we could have several frozen margaritas. This is not a neighborhood I'd walk in at night. I had not realized how much this area had changed.
I will reiterate that we had no problem with the hotel itself. Our car was just fine in the parking lot. The hotel's price per night is very reasonable. I would walk around the area in daylight and there are amenities just 3 blocks away. If the neighborhood is not a concern, the location itself is good- 10 minutes from the Galleria and I-610.

Room Tip: Pillows are soft- if you prefer a hard pillow, bring your own
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkasi
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I travel to Houston on business regularly and chose the Comfort Suites for its convenience to my business location. I've stayed here before and thought I'd found the ideal location. My last stay was anything but pleasant. I was scheduled for early morning appointments, but each morning there was NO HOT WATER. Not the best way to prepare for important business meetings. Unfortunately, there was not anyone at the front desk at 6 am when I departed nor at 10 pm when I returned so I was unable to discuss my displeasure. Also, the occupants of the room next door kept their TV on almost the entire night--so not so peaceful sleep. Guess I'll continue my search for an affordable, convenient business hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 1312258
MidWest
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a visit to Houston. I picked it largely because the location was very close to one of the people we were visiting, as well as fairly centrally located vs. being on the outskirts of the city. I have also stayed at several Comfort Suites, and they are usually decent enough. 90% of Houston is a ghetto, so picking something that is not in the suburbs that is halfway decent is difficult.

I think I paid a tad over $300 for 3 days there after taxes, which wasn't too bad. That's a bit higher than I like to pay, but overall I was satisfied.

Since it was on busy Richmond Ave. and in a very urban and arguably ghetto part of Houston, I was a bit worried about noise and crime. Literally within walking distance a couple blocks away is some of the most crime ridden ghetto in all of Houston. Turned out we did not have any issues. Our room was on the first floor with a window facing Richmond Ave., and surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. In fact, with the A/C or fan turned on, you can't hear the street noise much at all. With it off, you can only hear louder vehicles, but in general, the window was insulated pretty well from sound.

There were signs all over the parking lot (in every other parking space) warning you to lock your doors and secure your valuables, and given the area, I was a bit worried about my car getting broken into. Turned out I parked near the front lobby my entire stay, and there were no problems. The parking lot was pretty well lit. I would not park my car in the back though. It would be too easy for someone to jump the fence and break into your car.

The grounds were well kept and pretty, with lots of trees and bushes. I especially liked the magnolia trees.

The room was clean and pretty spacious, and on line with most Comfort Suites. Internet connection was decent and fast enough. Breakfast was good and well tended to.

Staff were friendly, especially the maids and the girl at breakfast.

The only thing that I don't like about this hotel is the tight location and the location on Richmond Ave. in general. I never feel too good about staying in a hotel that is surrounded by ghetto, but they seem to keep the riff raff off the property somehow. I would be a bit freaked out if I had a nice car, but I had a rental car that I didn't really care about. I would stay there again under the right set of circumstances.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family